Two Monitors with Vista HELP

=?Utf-8?B?cnB3czE=?=

Two Monitors with Vista HELP
Hi,
Have a big problem, I have two xerox monitors both practically the same (one
being a model up, but all the same specs i.e 8ms, 1280-1024 etc) and a Nvidia
8800gts card. I loaded up vista home premium and whatever monitor I loaded it
up with it would work faithfully, as soon as I try to dual screen or clone
it, it crashes/blue death. When trying to change the resolution to match the
other monitor it wont go any higher than 1024-768, even though the monitor is
capible of 1280-1024. I tried to change the working vista monitor to match
that resolution of 1024-768 and surprise surprise, blue screen death. It does
say though that the other monitor is generic non pnp monitor, which i dont
really know what that means. I have all the upto date drivers for th graphics
card, its truely a mystery to why it wont accept both of my monitors....XP
did! Does Vista support Dual Aero screen?Please Help!
JW

Re: Two Monitors with Vista HELP
Did you check the release notes for the latest Vista 8800 drivers you have
installed to see if any of the capabilities you are using are not yet
supported?

"rpws1" <rpws1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Have a big problem, I have two xerox monitors both practically the same
> (one
> being a model up, but all the same specs i.e 8ms, 1280-1024 etc) and a
> Nvidia
> 8800gts card. I loaded up vista home premium and whatever monitor I loaded
> it
> up with it would work faithfully, as soon as I try to dual screen or clone
> it, it crashes/blue death. When trying to change the resolution to match
> the
> other monitor it wont go any higher than 1024-768, even though the monitor
> is
> capible of 1280-1024. I tried to change the working vista monitor to match
> that resolution of 1024-768 and surprise surprise, blue screen death. It
> does
> say though that the other monitor is generic non pnp monitor, which i dont
> really know what that means. I have all the upto date drivers for th
> graphics
> card, its truely a mystery to why it wont accept both of my monitors....XP
> did! Does Vista support Dual Aero screen?Please Help!

=?Utf-8?B?cnB3czE=?=

Re: Two Monitors with Vista HELP
No I haven't, but I feel this is more an issue with vista than the card, I
think the whole thing with Aero is making this hard? Have you got anymore
suggestions?

Thanks

"JW" wrote:

> Did you check the release notes for the latest Vista 8800 drivers you have
> installed to see if any of the capabilities you are using are not yet
> supported?
>
> "rpws1" <rpws1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Have a big problem, I have two xerox monitors both practically the same
> > (one
> > being a model up, but all the same specs i.e 8ms, 1280-1024 etc) and a
> > Nvidia
> > 8800gts card. I loaded up vista home premium and whatever monitor I loaded
> > it
> > up with it would work faithfully, as soon as I try to dual screen or clone
> > it, it crashes/blue death. When trying to change the resolution to match
> > the
> > other monitor it wont go any higher than 1024-768, even though the monitor
> > is
> > capible of 1280-1024. I tried to change the working vista monitor to match
> > that resolution of 1024-768 and surprise surprise, blue screen death. It
> > does
> > say though that the other monitor is generic non pnp monitor, which i dont
> > really know what that means. I have all the upto date drivers for th
> > graphics
> > card, its truely a mystery to why it wont accept both of my monitors....XP
> > did! Does Vista support Dual Aero screen?Please Help!

Clint

Re: Two Monitors with Vista HELP
I've been using Vista since RTM with a 20" WS LCD (1680x105) and a 19" CRT
(1280x1024), with no problems after I updated my video drivers for my ATI
X1800GTO card. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a driver issue, not a Vista
issue.

Clint

> No I haven't, but I feel this is more an issue with vista than the card, I
> think the whole thing with Aero is making this hard? Have you got anymore
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Did you check the release notes for the latest Vista 8800 drivers you
>> have
>> installed to see if any of the capabilities you are using are not yet
>> supported?
>>
>> "rpws1" <rpws1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Have a big problem, I have two xerox monitors both practically the same
>> > (one
>> > being a model up, but all the same specs i.e 8ms, 1280-1024 etc) and a
>> > Nvidia
>> > 8800gts card. I loaded up vista home premium and whatever monitor I
>> > loaded
>> > it
>> > up with it would work faithfully, as soon as I try to dual screen or
>> > clone
>> > it, it crashes/blue death. When trying to change the resolution to
>> > match
>> > the
>> > other monitor it wont go any higher than 1024-768, even though the
>> > monitor
>> > is
>> > capible of 1280-1024. I tried to change the working vista monitor to
>> > match
>> > that resolution of 1024-768 and surprise surprise, blue screen death.
>> > It
>> > does
>> > say though that the other monitor is generic non pnp monitor, which i
>> > dont
>> > really know what that means. I have all the upto date drivers for th
>> > graphics
>> > card, its truely a mystery to why it wont accept both of my
>> > monitors....XP
>> > did! Does Vista support Dual Aero screen?Please Help!

=?Utf-8?B?emFyYmlrZXI=?=

Re: Two Monitors with Vista HELP

--
zarbiker

I had a similar problem with a new NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GS card. The
initial Vista provided driver was so bad it didn't even let me complete the
Vista setup process. I had to reinstall my old non-AERO Quadro 4 XGL card to
complete the installation. Once Vista was up I reinstalled the new card and
updated with the latest GeForce driver from the NVIDIA site. That was better
and Aero was activated but only for single display mode. I wanted to use my
Vista media center to drive my TV monitor but when I attempted to switch to
either CLONE mode or DUALVIEW mode the NVIDIA control panel application
crashed. Once it crashed it set my resolution down to VGA mode on my primary
monitor. Resetting back to Single monitor mode did not help. I actually had
to uninstall and then reinstall the driver to get things back to normal.
I've been in contact with NVIDIA and was routed to their 'level 2' help desk.
However, they must be overwhelmed since that was 3 days ago and I cannot
actually get through.
I've seen a lot of posts on other sites indicating that NVIDIA may have
dropped the ball on providing fully tested Vista drivers for a bunch of their
cards.

Zarbiker

"Clint" wrote:

> I've been using Vista since RTM with a 20" WS LCD (1680x105) and a 19" CRT
> (1280x1024), with no problems after I updated my video drivers for my ATI
> X1800GTO card. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a driver issue, not a Vista
> issue.
>
> Clint
>
> "rpws1" <rpws1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No I haven't, but I feel this is more an issue with vista than the card, I
> > think the whole thing with Aero is making this hard? Have you got anymore
> > suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you check the release notes for the latest Vista 8800 drivers you
> >> have
> >> installed to see if any of the capabilities you are using are not yet
> >> supported?

=?Utf-8?B?cnB3czE=?=

Re: Two Monitors with Vista HELP
Hi again

Yeah thats very typical of nvidia to not get these drivers to work, i can
see that multi monitoring is quite an issue with vista, its more in likely to
be the drivers, but i dont know why!
My monitor flickers when its suppose to be flickerFRee, lol, I have also
found that my monitor wil not wake up from sleeping, dont no why, but if it
sleeps for alike an hour, windows doesnt reappaer on my screen, the cpu has
loaded it, but the graphics drivers are clueless. Anyway thats turned off
now, no more sleeping for the PC.

Russell

"zarbiker" wrote:

> --
> zarbiker
>
> I had a similar problem with a new NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GS card. The
> initial Vista provided driver was so bad it didn't even let me complete the
> Vista setup process. I had to reinstall my old non-AERO Quadro 4 XGL card to
> complete the installation. Once Vista was up I reinstalled the new card and
> updated with the latest GeForce driver from the NVIDIA site. That was better
> and Aero was activated but only for single display mode. I wanted to use my
> Vista media center to drive my TV monitor but when I attempted to switch to
> either CLONE mode or DUALVIEW mode the NVIDIA control panel application
> crashed. Once it crashed it set my resolution down to VGA mode on my primary
> monitor. Resetting back to Single monitor mode did not help. I actually had
> to uninstall and then reinstall the driver to get things back to normal.
> I've been in contact with NVIDIA and was routed to their 'level 2' help desk.
> However, they must be overwhelmed since that was 3 days ago and I cannot
> actually get through.
> I've seen a lot of posts on other sites indicating that NVIDIA may have
> dropped the ball on providing fully tested Vista drivers for a bunch of their
> cards.
>
> Zarbiker
>

> "Clint" wrote:
>
> > I've been using Vista since RTM with a 20" WS LCD (1680x105) and a 19" CRT
> > (1280x1024), with no problems after I updated my video drivers for my ATI
> > X1800GTO card. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a driver issue, not a Vista
> > issue.
> >
> > Clint
> >
> > "rpws1" <rpws1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > No I haven't, but I feel this is more an issue with vista than the card, I
> > > think the whole thing with Aero is making this hard? Have you got anymore
> > > suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks

JW

Re: Two Monitors with Vista HELP
Make sure you read the release notes for the version of the NVIDIA drivers
you are using since many functions are not yet available in the latest
released Vista drivers.

"zarbiker" <zarbiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> zarbiker
>
> I had a similar problem with a new NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GS card. The
> initial Vista provided driver was so bad it didn't even let me complete
> the
> Vista setup process. I had to reinstall my old non-AERO Quadro 4 XGL card
> complete the installation. Once Vista was up I reinstalled the new card
> and
> updated with the latest GeForce driver from the NVIDIA site. That was
> better
> and Aero was activated but only for single display mode. I wanted to use
> my
> Vista media center to drive my TV monitor but when I attempted to switch
> either CLONE mode or DUALVIEW mode the NVIDIA control panel application
> crashed. Once it crashed it set my resolution down to VGA mode on my
> primary
> monitor. Resetting back to Single monitor mode did not help. I actually
> had
> to uninstall and then reinstall the driver to get things back to normal.
> I've been in contact with NVIDIA and was routed to their 'level 2' help
> desk.
> However, they must be overwhelmed since that was 3 days ago and I cannot
> actually get through.
> I've seen a lot of posts on other sites indicating that NVIDIA may have
> dropped the ball on providing fully tested Vista drivers for a bunch of
> their
> cards.
>
> Zarbiker
>

> "Clint" wrote:
>
>> I've been using Vista since RTM with a 20" WS LCD (1680x105) and a 19"
>> CRT
>> (1280x1024), with no problems after I updated my video drivers for my ATI
>> X1800GTO card. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a driver issue, not a
>> Vista
>> issue.
>>
>> Clint
>>
>> "rpws1" <rpws1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > No I haven't, but I feel this is more an issue with vista than the
>> > card, I
>> > think the whole thing with Aero is making this hard? Have you got
>> > anymore
>> > suggestions?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Ben Enfield

Re: Two Monitors with Vista HELP
People have begun a class action lawsuit against nVidia for this issue and
others simular. nVidia has not yet responded.

Ben

"rpws1" <rpws1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Have a big problem, I have two xerox monitors both practically the same
> (one
> being a model up, but all the same specs i.e 8ms, 1280-1024 etc) and a
> Nvidia
> 8800gts card. I loaded up vista home premium and whatever monitor I loaded
> it
> up with it would work faithfully, as soon as I try to dual screen or clone
> it, it crashes/blue death. When trying to change the resolution to match
> the
> other monitor it wont go any higher than 1024-768, even though the monitor
> is
> capible of 1280-1024. I tried to change the working vista monitor to match
> that resolution of 1024-768 and surprise surprise, blue screen death. It
> does
> say though that the other monitor is generic non pnp monitor, which i dont
> really know what that means. I have all the upto date drivers for th
> graphics
> card, its truely a mystery to why it wont accept both of my monitors....XP
> did! Does Vista support Dual Aero screen?Please Help!

Ron Miller

rpws1 wrote:
> Hi,
> Have a big problem, I have two xerox monitors both practically the same (one
> being a model up, but all the same specs i.e 8ms, 1280-1024 etc) and a Nvidia
> 8800gts card. I loaded up vista home premium and whatever monitor I loaded it
> up with it would work faithfully, as soon as I try to dual screen or clone
> it, it crashes/blue death. When trying to change the resolution to match the
> other monitor it wont go any higher than 1024-768, even though the monitor is
> capible of 1280-1024. I tried to change the working vista monitor to match
> that resolution of 1024-768 and surprise surprise, blue screen death. It does
> say though that the other monitor is generic non pnp monitor, which i dont
> really know what that means. I have all the upto date drivers for th graphics
> card, its truely a mystery to why it wont accept both of my monitors....XP
> did! Does Vista support Dual Aero screen?Please Help!

Vista definitely supports Aero on multiple monitors if the display
adapter is capable of running Aero.

Have you installed drivers for the monitors? Until you do, they will be
listed as "generic." Until you have monitor drivers installed, the
nVidia driver probably won't be able to tell what resolutions the
monitors can run. Go to Xerox and look for drivers for the monitors.
If they have XP drivers, that should be good enough (it was for my
Samsung and Acer monitors) because all monitor "drivers" consist of is
an INF file (although there may be an accompanying color-matching file).
When you go into Device Manager and select the monitors, choose to
upgrade the driver. Tell the Wizard that you have a disk and then
direct it to the directory where the downloaded INF file for the monitor
is located. Repeat for the other monitor. If you have trouble telling
which monitor is which in Device Manager and if the INF files are
different, then simply disconnect one of them at first, get the
connected monitor's driver (INF file) installed, and then reconnect the
other monitor.
I'm not sure that this will solve your crashing problem, but it will
allow the nVidia driver to see the resolutions of which the monitors are
capable, and that may allow you to set up the dual-monitor display.
Mine is running very happily, but I have an ATI card. Until I loaded
the individual monitor drivers, it was impossible to get the correct
resolutions set.