Old Visioneer scanner and Vista?

History Fan

Old Visioneer scanner and Vista?
I have a Visioneer 5800 USB flatbed scanner running on my Windows XP
SP2 computer. I believe this particular scanner was first introduced in
early 2001. The 5800 is ancient by tech standards but it works fine and
does everything I need it to do.

Is there a website that will tell me if the driver that powers the
5800 is compatible with Windows Vista? The MS Vista Upgrade Advisor had no
info on this scanner. And Visioneer long ago stopped providing tech support
for the 5800.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Old Visioneer scanner and Vista?
Maybe time to buy a new one..

"History Fan" <UnknownplacesonEarth@unknown11.com> wrote in message
> I have a Visioneer 5800 USB flatbed scanner running on my Windows XP
> SP2 computer. I believe this particular scanner was first introduced in
> early 2001. The 5800 is ancient by tech standards but it works fine and
> does everything I need it to do.
>
> Is there a website that will tell me if the driver that powers the
> 5800 is compatible with Windows Vista? The MS Vista Upgrade Advisor had
> no info on this scanner. And Visioneer long ago stopped providing tech
> support for the 5800.

BigJim

Re: Old Visioneer scanner and Vista?
I would say the scanner is history if you run vista. Many people don't
remember when xp came out
that many of the device manufactures would not or could not write drivers
for their products.
I have a Lexmark X75 trio that is not supported by Vista or Lexmark for
drivers at this time . I will not go and purchase a new Printer, so until my
Lexmark dies or drivers come out for it, I will continue to run XP.

"History Fan" <UnknownplacesonEarth@unknown11.com> wrote in message
> I have a Visioneer 5800 USB flatbed scanner running on my Windows XP
> SP2 computer. I believe this particular scanner was first introduced in
> early 2001. The 5800 is ancient by tech standards but it works fine and
> does everything I need it to do.
>
> Is there a website that will tell me if the driver that powers the
> 5800 is compatible with Windows Vista? The MS Vista Upgrade Advisor had
> no info on this scanner. And Visioneer long ago stopped providing tech
> support for the 5800.

JW

Re: Old Visioneer scanner and Vista?
I have a Visioneer 8600 and when I installed VISTA RC2 it told me to load my
origional Visioneer Disk and apparently VISTA then loaded the driver in XP
compatibility mode and the scanner has worked fine ever since. I could not
get it to work in RC1 or Beta2.

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:UeOdnUMDFoVbHl7YnZ2dnUVZ_qHinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>I would say the scanner is history if you run vista. Many people don't
>remember when xp came out
> that many of the device manufactures would not or could not write drivers
> for their products.
> I have a Lexmark X75 trio that is not supported by Vista or Lexmark for
> drivers at this time . I will not go and purchase a new Printer, so until
> my Lexmark dies or drivers come out for it, I will continue to run XP.
>
> "History Fan" <UnknownplacesonEarth@unknown11.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Visioneer 5800 USB flatbed scanner running on my Windows XP
>> SP2 computer. I believe this particular scanner was first introduced in
>> early 2001. The 5800 is ancient by tech standards but it works fine and
>> does everything I need it to do.
>>
>> Is there a website that will tell me if the driver that powers the
>> 5800 is compatible with Windows Vista? The MS Vista Upgrade Advisor had
>> no info on this scanner. And Visioneer long ago stopped providing tech
>> support for the 5800.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Old Visioneer scanner and Vista?
I'd recommend trying it since my experience with my ancient HP SJ5P scsi
connected scanner is that VISTA detected it but that I could not scan with it
until I installed the early Deskscan 2.9 software (not the one that actually
came with the scanner but one that TeamHP found preferable.

See here:

In article <#Li#CbwRHHA.1364@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Jw wrote:
> I have a Visioneer 8600 and when I installed VISTA RC2 it told me to load my*
> origional Visioneer Disk and apparently VISTA *then loaded the driver in XP*
> compatibility mode and the scanner has worked fine ever since.

which echoes my own experience.