Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot

=?Utf-8?B?RGlOb3p6bw==?=

Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot
Hello,

Each time I turn on or reboot the computer, the hard drive keeps "working"
for several minutes after Vista is loaded. What is happening to cause this
hard disk activity and is it possible to reduce or turn off whatever is
causing it?

Thank you!
Byron Hinson

Re: Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot
Hiya,

Mostly this is the new superfetch service in action, it detects what
programs you tend to start up first on boot and starts to load them into
memory so they load quickly. Also it can be indexing, ReadyBoost caching,
defrag or anything else like that. All I would say is don't worry about it,
gradually after a few more days of this you will notice the machine loads
quicker after a reboot as it knows what to load and when.

--
Byron Hinson
ActiveWin Windows Site: http://www.activewin.com

"DiNozzo" <DiNozzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Each time I turn on or reboot the computer, the hard drive keeps "working"
> for several minutes after Vista is loaded. What is happening to cause this
> hard disk activity and is it possible to reduce or turn off whatever is
> causing it?
>
> Thank you!

=?Utf-8?B?Z3VidXM=?=

Re: Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot
My drive runs constantly. Start Vista, and it just runs, with or without me
doing anything. Makes me nuts to hear the chatter all the time.
any help?
Dan

"Byron Hinson" wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Mostly this is the new superfetch service in action, it detects what
> programs you tend to start up first on boot and starts to load them into
> memory so they load quickly. Also it can be indexing, ReadyBoost caching,
> defrag or anything else like that. All I would say is don't worry about it,
> gradually after a few more days of this you will notice the machine loads
> quicker after a reboot as it knows what to load and when.
>
> --
> Byron Hinson
> ActiveWin Windows Site: http://www.activewin.com
>

> "DiNozzo" <DiNozzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Each time I turn on or reboot the computer, the hard drive keeps "working"
> > for several minutes after Vista is loaded. What is happening to cause this
> > hard disk activity and is it possible to reduce or turn off whatever is
> > causing it?
> >
> > Thank you!

Rock

Re: Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot
"gubus" <gubus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> My drive runs constantly. Start Vista, and it just runs, with or without
> me
> doing anything. Makes me nuts to hear the chatter all the time.
> any help?
> Dan
>
> "Byron Hinson" wrote:
>
>> Hiya,
>>
>> Mostly this is the new superfetch service in action, it detects what
>> programs you tend to start up first on boot and starts to load them into
>> memory so they load quickly. Also it can be indexing, ReadyBoost caching,
>> defrag or anything else like that. All I would say is don't worry about
>> it,
>> gradually after a few more days of this you will notice the machine loads
>> quicker after a reboot as it knows what to load and when.

>> "DiNozzo" <DiNozzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Each time I turn on or reboot the computer, the hard drive keeps
>> > "working"
>> > for several minutes after Vista is loaded. What is happening to cause
>> > this
>> > hard disk activity and is it possible to reduce or turn off whatever is
>> > causing it?

Didn't you read Byron's reply? If you want to see what's running open the
Reliability and Performance Monitor. From Start | Run type Performance.
Click on the link when it pops up, and when opened, click on Disk and CPU in
the right pane to see what is happening.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?RGllZ28=?=

Re: Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot
I have the same problem. The H D burns many Gb every time. After a week I
decided to give back computer with Vista. I'll buy it when it run ok.

"gubus" wrote:

> My drive runs constantly. Start Vista, and it just runs, with or without me
> doing anything. Makes me nuts to hear the chatter all the time.
> any help?
> Dan
>
> "Byron Hinson" wrote:
>
> > Hiya,
> >
> > Mostly this is the new superfetch service in action, it detects what
> > programs you tend to start up first on boot and starts to load them into
> > memory so they load quickly. Also it can be indexing, ReadyBoost caching,
> > defrag or anything else like that. All I would say is don't worry about it,
> > gradually after a few more days of this you will notice the machine loads
> > quicker after a reboot as it knows what to load and when.
> >
> > --
> > Byron Hinson
> > ActiveWin Windows Site: http://www.activewin.com
> >

> > "DiNozzo" <DiNozzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Each time I turn on or reboot the computer, the hard drive keeps "working"
> > > for several minutes after Vista is loaded. What is happening to cause this
> > > hard disk activity and is it possible to reduce or turn off whatever is
> > > causing it?
> > >
> > > Thank you!

Neal

RE: Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot
I have the same problem with my PC and have been trying to research the
cause. If Vista is causing the EXTREME hard disk activity then a solution is
needed. On my computer it freezes both local and internet processing and will
surely wear out my hard disk in minimum time. This is a serious situation
which has certainly taken away my enjoyment of this particular PC. AND IT
DOESN"T SEEM TO GET BETTER WITH TIME!!!!!!!!!!

"DiNozzo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Each time I turn on or reboot the computer, the hard drive keeps "working"
> for several minutes after Vista is loaded. What is happening to cause this
> hard disk activity and is it possible to reduce or turn off whatever is
> causing it?
>
> Thank you!

Wandering

Re: Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot
These are not at all the "same problem". To the first poster:

Vista does lots of things on startup. Sometimes it indexes the drive data.
Sometimes it defrags the system drives and that can take hours, and
sometimes it scans for malware. It's all good, and don't worry about it. You
want these things to happen. If it bugs you, put a piece of black tape over
the drive light. (That's humor) Really, though don't worry about it. Be glad
it is happening. You used to have to go and get gobs of additional software
to do these tasks, and now you can just forget them. They take care of
themselves.

To the second poster:

The activities above do keep the disk busy, and sometimes for hours, but
they don't make much impact on the processor. You may do well to post all by
yourself with a more detailed description of your problem and with fewer
CAPS in the message. If it is a real problem it isn't very likely to get
better with time.

Good luck to you both!

"Neal" <Neal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem with my PC and have been trying to research the
> cause. If Vista is causing the EXTREME hard disk activity then a solution
> is
> needed. On my computer it freezes both local and internet processing and
> will
> surely wear out my hard disk in minimum time. This is a serious situation
> which has certainly taken away my enjoyment of this particular PC. AND IT
> DOESN"T SEEM TO GET BETTER WITH TIME!!!!!!!!!!
>
> "DiNozzo" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Each time I turn on or reboot the computer, the hard drive keeps
>> "working"
>> for several minutes after Vista is loaded. What is happening to cause
>> this
>> hard disk activity and is it possible to reduce or turn off whatever is
>> causing it?
>>
>> Thank you!

Steve Thackery

Re: Hard Disk Activity after Start/Reboot
> Vista does lots of things on startup. Sometimes it indexes the drive data.
> Sometimes it defrags the system drives and that can take hours, and
> sometimes it scans for malware.

....And sometimes it shuffles the files around on the hard disk to optimise
boot times.

....And it preloads files from the disk into memory that it thinks you will
be accessing, to improve response times.

Wandering is right - all this is normal and, indeed, good. If you are
experiencing serious problems with poor performance after boot up there is
something else wrong. I read somewhere that there is a subtle and rare bug
that causes exactly those symptoms, and I seem to think MS were still
working on it. Something to do with the Windows Update service, I think,
but I honestly can't remember. Probably worth doing a Google search around
that, though.

SteveT