Laptop Owners -> OEM May be the Way to go

Kevin Young

Laptop Owners -> OEM May be the Way to go
I did some price checking today and as a laptop user it seems like going
with an OEM version is the most economical way. If I'm not missing anything
the OEM version allows for a simple clean install like the full retail
version and unlike the upgrade version which requires 2000 or XP to be
installed. The only drawback with the OEM version being the license is tied
to the specific laptop and can't be transferred to another PC. But when I
do decide to upgrade I'll simply be purchasing a more current laptop and it
will come with Vista pre-installed anyway. Pricing at www.Newegg.com is as
follows:

Vista Ultimate Retail: $399
Vista Ultimate Upgrade: $249
Vista Ultimate OEM: $199

Vista Home Premium Retail: $227
Vista Home Premium Upgrade: $154
Vista Home Premium OEM: $120

Am I missing anything or for those that are not likely to be transferring
Vista to a future PC is OEM the way to go?

Kevin Young

Re: Laptop Owners -> OEM May be the Way to go
Sorry, posted this to the hardware group in error, meant to post this to the
Vista.General group.

"Kevin Young" <ky-nntp@sent.com> wrote in message
>I did some price checking today and as a laptop user it seems like going
>with an OEM version is the most economical way. If I'm not missing
>anything the OEM version allows for a simple clean install like the full
>retail version and unlike the upgrade version which requires 2000 or XP to
>be installed. The only drawback with the OEM version being the license is
>tied to the specific laptop and can't be transferred to another PC. But
>when I do decide to upgrade I'll simply be purchasing a more current laptop
>and it will come with Vista pre-installed anyway. Pricing at
>www.Newegg.com is as follows:
>
> Vista Ultimate Retail: $399
> Vista Ultimate Upgrade: $249
> Vista Ultimate OEM: $199
>
> Vista Home Premium Retail: $227
> Vista Home Premium Upgrade: $154
> Vista Home Premium OEM: $120
>
> Am I missing anything or for those that are not likely to be transferring
> Vista to a future PC is OEM the way to go?

Jdr

Re: Laptop Owners -> OEM May be the Way to go
Just to cheer you up ...

Here in the UK we have to fork out around £220 for the Home premium version
of Vista,
but in America you could pick up precisely the same software for $230.00
(£115) -
quite a difference, isn't it?
The are similar price hikes for all of the consumer versions of Vista.

"Vilification for Microsoft over UK Vista pricing
British consumers will pay double the price of their US counterparts

Anthony Dhanendran, Computeract!ve 31 Jan 2007

ADVERTISEMENTMicrosoft has come under fire for the way it will charge UK
consumers for copies of Vista, the latest version of Microsoft's Windows
operating system.

British customers are complaining that they will have to pay nearly double
what American consumers will pay. A copy of the upgrade from Windows XP to
Vista Home Basic in the UK will cost £100, while American users will pay
$100 which at current exchange rates is only £51 for the same item. Similar
disparities occur throughout the Vista range.

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates told the BBC that the company aims "to keep
prices largely in line, country to country". He said that any price
differences were likely to be down to exchange rate fluctuations.

When contacted by Computeractive, a representative of Microsoft reiterated
this stance and said: "In view of the unpredictability of exchange rate
fluctuations. Microsoft believes that our customers are best served by price
stability. To provide and maintain this stability, we do not make pricing
changes frequently."

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...-vista-pricing

"Kevin Young" <ky-nntp@sent.com> wrote in message
>I did some price checking today and as a laptop user it seems like going
>with an OEM version is the most economical way. If I'm not missing
>anything the OEM version allows for a simple clean install like the full
>retail version and unlike the upgrade version which requires 2000 or XP to
>be installed. The only drawback with the OEM version being the license is
>tied to the specific laptop and can't be transferred to another PC. But
>when I do decide to upgrade I'll simply be purchasing a more current laptop
>and it will come with Vista pre-installed anyway. Pricing at
>www.Newegg.com is as follows:
>
> Vista Ultimate Retail: $399
> Vista Ultimate Upgrade: $249
> Vista Ultimate OEM: $199
>
> Vista Home Premium Retail: $227
> Vista Home Premium Upgrade: $154
> Vista Home Premium OEM: $120
>
> Am I missing anything or for those that are not likely to be transferring
> Vista to a future PC is OEM the way to go?

Steve Jain

Re: Laptop Owners -> OEM May be the Way to go
MS is just recouping all the fees and lawsuit costs incurred by the EU
from its citizens.

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:25:15 -0000, "Jdr" <jdr@msn.net> wrote:

>Just to cheer you up ...
>
>Here in the UK we have to fork out around £220 for the Home premium version
>of Vista,
> but in America you could pick up precisely the same software for $230.00
>(£115) -
>quite a difference, isn't it?
>The are similar price hikes for all of the consumer versions of Vista.

>"Vilification for Microsoft over UK Vista pricing
>British consumers will pay double the price of their US counterparts
>
>Anthony Dhanendran, Computeract!ve 31 Jan 2007
>
>ADVERTISEMENTMicrosoft has come under fire for the way it will charge UK
>consumers for copies of Vista, the latest version of Microsoft's Windows
>operating system.
>
>British customers are complaining that they will have to pay nearly double
>what American consumers will pay. A copy of the upgrade from Windows XP to
>Vista Home Basic in the UK will cost £100, while American users will pay
>$100 which at current exchange rates is only £51 for the same item. Similar
>disparities occur throughout the Vista range.
>
>Microsoft chairman Bill Gates told the BBC that the company aims "to keep
>prices largely in line, country to country". He said that any price
>differences were likely to be down to exchange rate fluctuations.
>
>When contacted by Computeractive, a representative of Microsoft reiterated
>this stance and said: "In view of the unpredictability of exchange rate
>fluctuations. Microsoft believes that our customers are best served by price
>stability. To provide and maintain this stability, we do not make pricing
>changes frequently."
>
>http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...-vista-pricing
>

>"Kevin Young" <ky-nntp@sent.com> wrote in message
>>I did some price checking today and as a laptop user it seems like going
>>with an OEM version is the most economical way. If I'm not missing
>>anything the OEM version allows for a simple clean install like the full
>>retail version and unlike the upgrade version which requires 2000 or XP to
>>be installed. The only drawback with the OEM version being the license is
>>tied to the specific laptop and can't be transferred to another PC. But
>>when I do decide to upgrade I'll simply be purchasing a more current laptop
>>and it will come with Vista pre-installed anyway. Pricing at
>>www.Newegg.com is as follows:
>>
>> Vista Ultimate Retail: $399
>> Vista Ultimate Upgrade: $249
>> Vista Ultimate OEM: $199
>>
>> Vista Home Premium Retail: $227
>> Vista Home Premium Upgrade: $154
>> Vista Home Premium OEM: $120
>>
>> Am I missing anything or for those that are not likely to be transferring
>> Vista to a future PC is OEM the way to go?

Thanks
Fred

Re: Laptop Owners -> OEM May be the Way to go
<MS is just recouping all the fees and lawsuit costs incurred by the EU
from its citizens.>

What is Microsoft recouping in Australia? We are charged equivalent to about
US$352 for the Home premium version
of Vista. Why is US being advantaged?