SoundMax Chipset and Vista intermittant errors

=?Utf-8?B?VG9kZCBTLg==?=

SoundMax Chipset and Vista intermittant errors
Hi,
It looks like others are having this problem. I have the soundmax chipset on
an Intel 865PERL MB, Vista loaded great and sound worked for a day. Now at
random times the sound will stop. TThen when I go to the control panel to
test the hardware it will say that another device is using the hardware, I
click through the dialog and the sound works again for a while. Is there
anyone that has found a solution?
=?Utf-8?B?RG91Z2xhcyBQYXVsZXR0?=

RE: SoundMax Chipset and Vista intermittant errors
I have exactly the same mobo and exactly the same issue with the audio. The
865 PERL has a AD 1985 audio chip and the drivers were installed as part of
Windows Update. Unfortunately, the audio cuts out periodically, typically
after you stop an audio track in WMP. Or sometimes WMP won't play audio files
at all. Based on the posts on this forum and on the internet in general, many
people are experiencing this issue with a variety of AD198x chips.

I have tried installing older XP version of the drivers from the Intel site;
I have tried installing AD198x drivers downloaded from the Asus site (some
Asus mobos use the same audio hardware); I even searched the Dell site for
equivalent drivers. Unfortunately, nothing I have tried has worked.
Considering the hours of time spent trying to get this to work, I should
probably buy a new sound card.

Intel was very unhelpful in this regard as well. Here is what they had to say:
"Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support. We do understand the
you are having audio problems with your desktop board when you try to run the
Windows* Media Player*

In regards to your situation, Windows* Vista* is not a supported Operating
system for the Intel(R) Desktop Board D865PERL. Please review the following
list for supported Operating systems for your Desktop Board.
http://intel.com/support/motherboard.../CS-008326.htm

Intel(R) Technical Support cannot provide assistance, sofware or drivers on
Operating systems that are not supported by the specific motherboard. We
apologize for the inconvenience."

I suppose it's still possible that updated drivers will be released for this
audio hardware but I'm not holding my breath.

Doug

"Todd S." wrote:

> Hi,
> It looks like others are having this problem. I have the soundmax chipset on
> an Intel 865PERL MB, Vista loaded great and sound worked for a day. Now at
> random times the sound will stop. TThen when I go to the control panel to
> test the hardware it will say that another device is using the hardware, I
> click through the dialog and the sound works again for a while. Is there
> anyone that has found a solution?

=?Utf-8?B?Q3VydGlz?=

RE: SoundMax Chipset and Vista intermittant errors
I have the same board. I installed Vista RC1 and had the same problem you are
haging. I don't want to install the full version if there is no solution to
the audio problem. Have you had any luck in finding a solution?

"Douglas Paulett" wrote:

> I have exactly the same mobo and exactly the same issue with the audio. The
> 865 PERL has a AD 1985 audio chip and the drivers were installed as part of
> Windows Update. Unfortunately, the audio cuts out periodically, typically
> after you stop an audio track in WMP. Or sometimes WMP won't play audio files
> at all. Based on the posts on this forum and on the internet in general, many
> people are experiencing this issue with a variety of AD198x chips.
>
> I have tried installing older XP version of the drivers from the Intel site;
> I have tried installing AD198x drivers downloaded from the Asus site (some
> Asus mobos use the same audio hardware); I even searched the Dell site for
> equivalent drivers. Unfortunately, nothing I have tried has worked.
> Considering the hours of time spent trying to get this to work, I should
> probably buy a new sound card.
>
> Intel was very unhelpful in this regard as well. Here is what they had to say:
> "Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support. We do understand the
> you are having audio problems with your desktop board when you try to run the
> Windows* Media Player*
>
> In regards to your situation, Windows* Vista* is not a supported Operating
> system for the Intel(R) Desktop Board D865PERL. Please review the following
> list for supported Operating systems for your Desktop Board.
> http://intel.com/support/motherboard.../CS-008326.htm
>
> Intel(R) Technical Support cannot provide assistance, sofware or drivers on
> Operating systems that are not supported by the specific motherboard. We
> apologize for the inconvenience."
>
> I suppose it's still possible that updated drivers will be released for this
> audio hardware but I'm not holding my breath.
>
> Doug
>

> "Todd S." wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > It looks like others are having this problem. I have the soundmax chipset on
> > an Intel 865PERL MB, Vista loaded great and sound worked for a day. Now at
> > random times the sound will stop. TThen when I go to the control panel to
> > test the hardware it will say that another device is using the hardware, I
> > click through the dialog and the sound works again for a while. Is there
> > anyone that has found a solution?

Chris Altmann

Re: SoundMax Chipset and Vista intermittant errors
Same board. Same problem. No solution I'm aware of besides buying a new
sound card.