HP Photosmart 1218

Brendan

HP Photosmart 1218
HP in their wisdom have decided NOT to provide a windows vista driver for
this excellent (if a few years old) printer. As a result of this, my upgrade
leaves me with a perfectly serviceable printer that is useless. HP suggest I
buy another of their printers (WTF!!!) - I guess they don't want my
over-priced ink purchases either. Has anyone else any idea of how to get
this printer to work in Vista?

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: HP Photosmart 1218
A new printer would be faster and more ink efficient that your old printer,
but as you want to keep it, you could buy a really cheap, slow XP box and
network it, or a cheaper option still, buy a new printer..

"Brendan" <brendan@feq.com.au> wrote in message
> HP in their wisdom have decided NOT to provide a windows vista driver for
> this excellent (if a few years old) printer. As a result of this, my
> upgrade leaves me with a perfectly serviceable printer that is useless. HP
> suggest I buy another of their printers (WTF!!!) - I guess they don't want
> my over-priced ink purchases either. Has anyone else any idea of how to
> get this printer to work in Vista?

BigJim

Re: HP Photosmart 1218
the point is that he shouldn/t have to buy a new printer, hp may have
drivers down the road.
"Brendan" <brendan@feq.com.au> wrote in message
> HP in their wisdom have decided NOT to provide a windows vista driver for
> this excellent (if a few years old) printer. As a result of this, my
> upgrade leaves me with a perfectly serviceable printer that is useless. HP
> suggest I buy another of their printers (WTF!!!) - I guess they don't want
> my over-priced ink purchases either. Has anyone else any idea of how to
> get this printer to work in Vista?

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: HP Photosmart 1218
Apparently, Vista has some kind of native support for older printers, and
the HP 1000 series is accredited in some way..

Hardware manufacturers have a history of dumping old stuff when a new OS
appears by way of not producing drivers.. having said that, new printers
offer better quality and faster output, while being way more economical with
ink delivery.. personally, I would get a new printer..

"BigJim" <bigjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:EoWdnZpwTP3UYl_YnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> the point is that he shouldn/t have to buy a new printer, hp may have
> drivers down the road.
> "Brendan" <brendan@feq.com.au> wrote in message
>> HP in their wisdom have decided NOT to provide a windows vista driver for
>> this excellent (if a few years old) printer. As a result of this, my
>> upgrade leaves me with a perfectly serviceable printer that is useless.
>> HP suggest I buy another of their printers (WTF!!!) - I guess they don't
>> want my over-priced ink purchases either. Has anyone else any idea of how
>> to get this printer to work in Vista?

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: HP Photosmart 1218
Have you tried using the HP XP driver for that machine?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...DownloadIndex?
softwareitem=ps-12908-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=60362&os=228&lang=e n

I find that VISTA is very tolerant of old stuff -- I'm running an HP
SJ5P scanner that is much older than your printer!

You may have to get guidance on how to deal with it if VISTA starts
shouting about driver certificates -- I've not run into that yet
myself.

Good luck.

PS Newegg the other day showed the lovely PS8250 for $75. It's worth
every penny of the $199 I paid for mine!

Brendan

Re: HP Photosmart 1218
Hi Mike,

This particular printer came equiped with automated duplex printing amongst
many other high end features and hasn't missed a beat since the day I bought
it. For me to replace this feature set means parting with at least $AUD600.
The Vista Ultimate Upgrade only cost $AUD500. And my Epson 3000 (an A2
printer) which is 11 years old is still supported in Vista. Your comment
about new printers using less ink is very debateable.

My biggest complaint with this Vista upgrade is that I was happily using
many older programs and pieces of hardware which simply won't work in
Vista. When I say older, in many cases this is only two or three years - all
of these programs and hardware were working absolutely perfectly in XP. My
bill to get my machine working again is now approaching several thousand
dollars. I seriously think I will have to downgrade to XP. Will MS give me a
refund for my Vista upgrade?????

One further point - I have been involved in OS upgrades since the early
80's, and this is the first time I have had to throw out perfectly
serviceable equipment - true I may have had some initial problems with some
things, but eventually they all worked. And the companies involved fell over
backwards to try and help. For HP to tell me that I need to buy a new
printer when I am paying them substantial amounts of money for ink and
consumables (which they are still happy to sell to me) is nothing short of
highway robbery. How much will it cost them to write a Vista driver - I'd
suggest about the cost of two HP45 and two HP78 ink cartridges.

Regards

Brendan Hillary
"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>A new printer would be faster and more ink efficient that your old printer,
>but as you want to keep it, you could buy a really cheap, slow XP box and
>network it, or a cheaper option still, buy a new printer..
>

> "Brendan" <brendan@feq.com.au> wrote in message
>> HP in their wisdom have decided NOT to provide a windows vista driver for
>> this excellent (if a few years old) printer. As a result of this, my
>> upgrade leaves me with a perfectly serviceable printer that is useless.
>> HP suggest I buy another of their printers (WTF!!!) - I guess they don't
>> want my over-priced ink purchases either. Has anyone else any idea of how
>> to get this printer to work in Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?S3Jpc2huYSBDaGFpdGFueWEuIFlhZGF2YWxsaQ==?=

Re: HP Photosmart 1218
Hi Brendan,

I suggest you to try with Deskjet 990c printer In-os driver. This may enable
you to use the printer.

Regards,
Krishna -

"Brendan" wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> This particular printer came equiped with automated duplex printing amongst
> many other high end features and hasn't missed a beat since the day I bought
> it. For me to replace this feature set means parting with at least $AUD600.
> The Vista Ultimate Upgrade only cost $AUD500. And my Epson 3000 (an A2
> printer) which is 11 years old is still supported in Vista. Your comment
> about new printers using less ink is very debateable.
>
> My biggest complaint with this Vista upgrade is that I was happily using
> many older programs and pieces of hardware which simply won't work in
> Vista. When I say older, in many cases this is only two or three years - all
> of these programs and hardware were working absolutely perfectly in XP. My
> bill to get my machine working again is now approaching several thousand
> dollars. I seriously think I will have to downgrade to XP. Will MS give me a
> refund for my Vista upgrade?????
>
> One further point - I have been involved in OS upgrades since the early
> 80's, and this is the first time I have had to throw out perfectly
> serviceable equipment - true I may have had some initial problems with some
> things, but eventually they all worked. And the companies involved fell over
> backwards to try and help. For HP to tell me that I need to buy a new
> printer when I am paying them substantial amounts of money for ink and
> consumables (which they are still happy to sell to me) is nothing short of
> highway robbery. How much will it cost them to write a Vista driver - I'd
> suggest about the cost of two HP45 and two HP78 ink cartridges.
>
> Regards
>
> Brendan Hillary
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >A new printer would be faster and more ink efficient that your old printer,
> >but as you want to keep it, you could buy a really cheap, slow XP box and
> >network it, or a cheaper option still, buy a new printer..
> >

> > "Brendan" <brendan@feq.com.au> wrote in message
> >> HP in their wisdom have decided NOT to provide a windows vista driver for
> >> this excellent (if a few years old) printer. As a result of this, my
> >> upgrade leaves me with a perfectly serviceable printer that is useless.
> >> HP suggest I buy another of their printers (WTF!!!) - I guess they don't
> >> want my over-priced ink purchases either. Has anyone else any idea of how
> >> to get this printer to work in Vista?

Brendan

Re: HP Photosmart 1218
Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the tip but the deskjet drivers result in a smear across the page
when printed (not legible). I have some functionality back by using the
Photosmart 2570 drivers in Vista, but I only get rudimentery printing
abilities and can't use any of the advanced functions. I also need to turn
the printer off after every print job as it appears to hang otherwise.

Regards
Brendan
"Krishna Chaitanya. Yadavalli"
<KrishnaChaitanyaYadavalli@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
> Hi Brendan,
>
> I suggest you to try with Deskjet 990c printer In-os driver. This may
> enable
> you to use the printer.
>
> Regards,
> Krishna -
>
> "Brendan" wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> This particular printer came equiped with automated duplex printing
>> amongst
>> many other high end features and hasn't missed a beat since the day I
>> bought
>> it. For me to replace this feature set means parting with at least
>> $AUD600.
>> The Vista Ultimate Upgrade only cost $AUD500. And my Epson 3000 (an A2
>> printer) which is 11 years old is still supported in Vista. Your comment
>> about new printers using less ink is very debateable.
>>
>> My biggest complaint with this Vista upgrade is that I was happily using
>> many older programs and pieces of hardware which simply won't work in
>> Vista. When I say older, in many cases this is only two or three years -
>> all
>> of these programs and hardware were working absolutely perfectly in XP.
>> My
>> bill to get my machine working again is now approaching several thousand
>> dollars. I seriously think I will have to downgrade to XP. Will MS give
>> me a
>> refund for my Vista upgrade?????
>>
>> One further point - I have been involved in OS upgrades since the early
>> 80's, and this is the first time I have had to throw out perfectly
>> serviceable equipment - true I may have had some initial problems with
>> some
>> things, but eventually they all worked. And the companies involved fell
>> over
>> backwards to try and help. For HP to tell me that I need to buy a new
>> printer when I am paying them substantial amounts of money for ink and
>> consumables (which they are still happy to sell to me) is nothing short
>> of
>> highway robbery. How much will it cost them to write a Vista driver - I'd
>> suggest about the cost of two HP45 and two HP78 ink cartridges.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Brendan Hillary
>> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
>> message
>> >A new printer would be faster and more ink efficient that your old
>> >printer,
>> >but as you want to keep it, you could buy a really cheap, slow XP box
>> >and
>> >network it, or a cheaper option still, buy a new printer..

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: HP Photosmart 1218
Brendan

HP have only ever fallen over themselves trying to get people to buy new
stuff at every new OS introduction.. they have something of a history re
releasing drivers for some products very late in the hope that the user will
despair and get something newer..

Modern printers are way more ink efficient than they used to be, HP
particularly.. I gotten a customer to dump their old HP 500c printer and buy
a new 5150 after much persuasion.. they were pleased with the new printer..
clearer print and not as heavy on ink..
> Hi Mike,
>
> This particular printer came equiped with automated duplex printing
> amongst many other high end features and hasn't missed a beat since the
> day I bought it. For me to replace this feature set means parting with at
> least $AUD600. The Vista Ultimate Upgrade only cost $AUD500. And my Epson
> 3000 (an A2 printer) which is 11 years old is still supported in Vista.
> Your comment about new printers using less ink is very debateable.
>
> My biggest complaint with this Vista upgrade is that I was happily using
> many older programs and pieces of hardware which simply won't work in
> Vista. When I say older, in many cases this is only two or three years -
> all of these programs and hardware were working absolutely perfectly in
> XP. My bill to get my machine working again is now approaching several
> thousand dollars. I seriously think I will have to downgrade to XP. Will
> MS give me a refund for my Vista upgrade?????
>
> One further point - I have been involved in OS upgrades since the early
> 80's, and this is the first time I have had to throw out perfectly
> serviceable equipment - true I may have had some initial problems with
> some things, but eventually they all worked. And the companies involved
> fell over backwards to try and help. For HP to tell me that I need to buy
> a new printer when I am paying them substantial amounts of money for ink
> and consumables (which they are still happy to sell to me) is nothing
> short of highway robbery. How much will it cost them to write a Vista
> driver - I'd suggest about the cost of two HP45 and two HP78 ink
> cartridges.
>
> Regards
>
> Brendan Hillary
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:esjhXcmRHHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>A new printer would be faster and more ink efficient that your old
>>printer, but as you want to keep it, you could buy a really cheap, slow XP
>>box and network it, or a cheaper option still, buy a new printer..
>>

>> "Brendan" <brendan@feq.com.au> wrote in message
>>> HP in their wisdom have decided NOT to provide a windows vista driver
>>> for this excellent (if a few years old) printer. As a result of this, my
>>> upgrade leaves me with a perfectly serviceable printer that is useless.
>>> HP suggest I buy another of their printers (WTF!!!) - I guess they don't
>>> want my over-priced ink purchases either. Has anyone else any idea of
>>> how to get this printer to work in Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

RE: HP Photosmart 1218