Vista Ultimate x64 Clean Install - no Firewire Bus Controller

jabloomf1230

Vista Ultimate x64 Clean Install - no Firewire Bus Controller
I did a clean install of full retail version of Vista Ultimate x64 to a
single partition hard disk and it found every piece of hardware except
my TI OHCI Firewire 1394 Bus Controller, which is built-in to my ASUS
A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. The controller is enabled in the BIOS and
doesn't even show up as an unknown device in the device manager. No
Windows hardware viewing program (Everest, Sandra, etc.) sees it either,
except CPU-Z. Here's what CPU-Z has to say:

OHCI FireWire Controller
bus 8 (0x08), device 11 (0x0B), function 0 (0x00)
Common header
Vendor ID 0x1048
Model ID 0x8023
Revision ID 0x00
PI 0x10
SubClass 0x00
BaseClass 0x0C
Cache Line 0xFF
Latency 0xFF
Header 0xFF

I have the most recent production mobo BIOS installed (1016) and the
built-in Vista nVidia Chipset drivers. I tried "fooling" Vista, by
turning off the exclude PnP device flag in 1394.inf, but it doesn't
help. What the heck is "Bus 8"? Is that the 1394 bus? The rest of the
hardware is pretty white bread. No PCI cards & serial, parallel ports
are off. The CPU is an AMD FX-60 with 1GB RAM and the system ran
flawlessly under Windows XP x64 and Vista Ultimate RC2. Other than the
Firewire controller issue, Vista runs without problems.
=?Utf-8?B?c2NzYTIw?=

RE: Vista Ultimate x64 Clean Install - no Firewire Bus Controller
That's funny, I have the same motherboard as you, and I too have Vista
Ultimate installed, but it sees my Firewire just fine (Texas Instruments OHCI
Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller) (and I got this just by looking at the
device manager just now). Did you try plugging in a firewire device? I
plugged in my video camera and it asked me if I wanted to import the tape so
my is working just fine....

"jabloomf1230" wrote:

> I did a clean install of full retail version of Vista Ultimate x64 to a
> single partition hard disk and it found every piece of hardware except
> my TI OHCI Firewire 1394 Bus Controller, which is built-in to my ASUS
> A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. The controller is enabled in the BIOS and
> doesn't even show up as an unknown device in the device manager. No
> Windows hardware viewing program (Everest, Sandra, etc.) sees it either,
> except CPU-Z. Here's what CPU-Z has to say:
>
> OHCI FireWire Controller
> bus 8 (0x08), device 11 (0x0B), function 0 (0x00)
> Common header
> Vendor ID 0x1048
> Model ID 0x8023
> Revision ID 0x00
> PI 0x10
> SubClass 0x00
> BaseClass 0x0C
> Cache Line 0xFF
> Latency 0xFF
> Header 0xFF
>
> I have the most recent production mobo BIOS installed (1016) and the
> built-in Vista nVidia Chipset drivers. I tried "fooling" Vista, by
> turning off the exclude PnP device flag in 1394.inf, but it doesn't
> help. What the heck is "Bus 8"? Is that the 1394 bus? The rest of the
> hardware is pretty white bread. No PCI cards & serial, parallel ports
> are off. The CPU is an AMD FX-60 with 1GB RAM and the system ran
> flawlessly under Windows XP x64 and Vista Ultimate RC2. Other than the
> Firewire controller issue, Vista runs without problems.

jabloomf1230

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 Clean Install - no Firewire Bus Controller
Yes, I tried two devices and two cables. I think the mobo might be
dying. Do you have the x64 version of WinVU installed? I did notice one
thing, though, the VID that CPU-Z is reporting is not Texas Instruments
(0x104C), but rather Elda Industries (0x1048, Korea), which is
definitely wrong. Also, Win XP x64 (I'm dual booting) shows the Vendor
ID correctly.

scsa20 wrote:
> That's funny, I have the same motherboard as you, and I too have Vista
> Ultimate installed, but it sees my Firewire just fine (Texas Instruments OHCI
> Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller) (and I got this just by looking at the
> device manager just now). Did you try plugging in a firewire device? I
> plugged in my video camera and it asked me if I wanted to import the tape so
> my is working just fine....
>
> "jabloomf1230" wrote:
>
>> I did a clean install of full retail version of Vista Ultimate x64 to a
>> single partition hard disk and it found every piece of hardware except
>> my TI OHCI Firewire 1394 Bus Controller, which is built-in to my ASUS
>> A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. The controller is enabled in the BIOS and
>> doesn't even show up as an unknown device in the device manager. No
>> Windows hardware viewing program (Everest, Sandra, etc.) sees it either,
>> except CPU-Z. Here's what CPU-Z has to say:
>>
>> OHCI FireWire Controller
>> bus 8 (0x08), device 11 (0x0B), function 0 (0x00)
>> Common header
>> Vendor ID 0x1048
>> Model ID 0x8023
>> Revision ID 0x00
>> PI 0x10
>> SubClass 0x00
>> BaseClass 0x0C
>> Cache Line 0xFF
>> Latency 0xFF
>> Header 0xFF
>>
>> I have the most recent production mobo BIOS installed (1016) and the
>> built-in Vista nVidia Chipset drivers. I tried "fooling" Vista, by
>> turning off the exclude PnP device flag in 1394.inf, but it doesn't
>> help. What the heck is "Bus 8"? Is that the 1394 bus? The rest of the
>> hardware is pretty white bread. No PCI cards & serial, parallel ports
>> are off. The CPU is an AMD FX-60 with 1GB RAM and the system ran
>> flawlessly under Windows XP x64 and Vista Ultimate RC2. Other than the
>> Firewire controller issue, Vista runs without problems.

=?Utf-8?B?c2NzYTIw?=

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 Clean Install - no Firewire Bus Controller
I'm running the 64-bit version of WinVU while duel booting to XP x64 and XP
Pro SP2 (well... I can now format my XP x64 partition since my trail version
ran out )

But when I did my test, I plugged in my firewire through the front case port
and not in the back port but I will assume it will still work, I'll give that
a try when I get home tonight though...

I did updated my bios and chipset drivers piror to installing WinVU x64 if
that made any difference ^^;;