changing hardware after vista install

=?Utf-8?B?YWNl?=

changing hardware after vista install
I plan on purchasing vista soon. the problem is that after i install perhaps
a couple of months I probably will upgrade most of the hardware in my
computer, such as motherboard, video card, processor...I was wondering how
would this affect the authentication of vista. Is it better to just wait and
install vista on a new sata hdd rather than my old one and just wait until i
upgrade?
Dave B.

Re: changing hardware after vista install
It will affect it the same way it would affect XP, you may need to
reactivate.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"ace" <ace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I plan on purchasing vista soon. the problem is that after i install
>perhaps
> a couple of months I probably will upgrade most of the hardware in my
> computer, such as motherboard, video card, processor...I was wondering how
> would this affect the authentication of vista. Is it better to just wait
> and
> install vista on a new sata hdd rather than my old one and just wait until
> upgrade?

BigJim

Re: changing hardware after vista install
I would wait until your ready to upgrade.

"ace" <ace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I plan on purchasing vista soon. the problem is that after i install
>perhaps
> a couple of months I probably will upgrade most of the hardware in my
> computer, such as motherboard, video card, processor...I was wondering how
> would this affect the authentication of vista. Is it better to just wait
> and
> install vista on a new sata hdd rather than my old one and just wait until
> upgrade?

Lakesidezx

Re: changing hardware after vista install
It got real annoying every 6 months to have to call MS to manually activate
XP because I reformat and resintall the os every 6 months. Im hoping that
the authentication system in vista is better and that it can realize when Im
just reinstalling onto the same computer and accept it regardless of how
many times I feel I need to reinstall vista.

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:y4SdnS7iBN8bxl_YnZ2dnUVZ_qCmnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>I would wait until your ready to upgrade.
>
> "ace" <ace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I plan on purchasing vista soon. the problem is that after i install
>>perhaps
>> a couple of months I probably will upgrade most of the hardware in my
>> computer, such as motherboard, video card, processor...I was wondering
>> how
>> would this affect the authentication of vista. Is it better to just wait
>> and
>> install vista on a new sata hdd rather than my old one and just wait
>> until i
>> upgrade?

David Vair

Re: changing hardware after vista install
If you reformat it how is it supposed to know its on the same system? If this is something that you
regularly do, I would make a base install, activate and then make an image of the drive. That will
save the hassle of reactivating and cut down on a lot of the time it takes to reinstall.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> It got real annoying every 6 months to have to call MS to manually activate XP because I reformat
> and resintall the os every 6 months. Im hoping that the authentication system in vista is better
> and that it can realize when Im just reinstalling onto the same computer and accept it regardless
> of how many times I feel I need to reinstall vista.
>

> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:y4SdnS7iBN8bxl_YnZ2dnUVZ_qCmnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>I would wait until your ready to upgrade.
>>
>> "ace" <ace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I plan on purchasing vista soon. the problem is that after i install perhaps
>>> a couple of months I probably will upgrade most of the hardware in my
>>> computer, such as motherboard, video card, processor...I was wondering how
>>> would this affect the authentication of vista. Is it better to just wait and
>>> install vista on a new sata hdd rather than my old one and just wait until i
>>> upgrade?

=?Utf-8?B?c2NzYTIw?=

Re: changing hardware after vista install
I used to format my system every 6 months as well with XP, never once I had
to call Microsoft to re-activate my copy, I just re-activate online

Hmm... if it's anything like XP, it will just have you re-activate your copy
of Vista and lock out the other used system's activation ID (which is how
they go by if it's a valid windows installation.

"David Vair" wrote:

> If you reformat it how is it supposed to know its on the same system? If this is something that you
> regularly do, I would make a base install, activate and then make an image of the drive. That will
> save the hassle of reactivating and cut down on a lot of the time it takes to reinstall.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
>
> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > It got real annoying every 6 months to have to call MS to manually activate XP because I reformat
> > and resintall the os every 6 months. Im hoping that the authentication system in vista is better
> > and that it can realize when Im just reinstalling onto the same computer and accept it regardless
> > of how many times I feel I need to reinstall vista.
> >

> > "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:y4SdnS7iBN8bxl_YnZ2dnUVZ_qCmnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> >>I would wait until your ready to upgrade.

Robert Firth

Re: changing hardware after vista install
Well, no need to wait because of activation. You might want to wait until
you do upgrade so that you have better hardware. However, if your computer
already has modern hardware, then it will be fine.

The Vista retail EULA allows for unlimited transfers given that you first
remove it from the previous computer.

--
* Robert Firth *