Western Digital SATA 400GB aka Disk1 is offline and cant read

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Western Digital SATA 400GB aka Disk1 is offline and cant read
Was running Windows Home Media Center and upgraded via fresh install of Vista
Home Premium. In Disk Management, my secondary WD hard drive known as Disk 1
is not online. I tried Diskpart to try to bring it online, nothing. In Disk
Management I selected disk 1 and right clicked and it does't allow me to
import or bring online. Only option is to convert to basic and loose data and
properties. I took the drive out and connected to another Windows XP Home PC
and disk managment states that its foriegn. Still can't being it online. The
drive was working perfectly before the upgrade. This was my backup drive and
would hate losing the data stored on it. What am I missing?
Dave B.

Re: Western Digital SATA 400GB aka Disk1 is offline and cant read
No such thing as Windows Home Media Center, Media Center is actually a sub
set of XP Pro.
Was this a dynamic disk?

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Was running Windows Home Media Center and upgraded via fresh install of
> Vista
> Home Premium. In Disk Management, my secondary WD hard drive known as Disk
> 1
> is not online. I tried Diskpart to try to bring it online, nothing. In
> Disk
> Management I selected disk 1 and right clicked and it does't allow me to
> import or bring online. Only option is to convert to basic and loose data
> and
> properties. I took the drive out and connected to another Windows XP Home
> PC
> and disk managment states that its foriegn. Still can't being it online.
> The
> drive was working perfectly before the upgrade. This was my backup drive
> and
> would hate losing the data stored on it. What am I missing?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Re: Western Digital SATA 400GB aka Disk1 is offline and cant read
Yes

"Dave B." wrote:

> No such thing as Windows Home Media Center, Media Center is actually a sub
> set of XP Pro.
> Was this a dynamic disk?
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Was running Windows Home Media Center and upgraded via fresh install of
> > Vista
> > Home Premium. In Disk Management, my secondary WD hard drive known as Disk
> > 1
> > is not online. I tried Diskpart to try to bring it online, nothing. In
> > Disk
> > Management I selected disk 1 and right clicked and it does't allow me to
> > import or bring online. Only option is to convert to basic and loose data
> > and
> > properties. I took the drive out and connected to another Windows XP Home
> > PC
> > and disk managment states that its foriegn. Still can't being it online.
> > The
> > drive was working perfectly before the upgrade. This was my backup drive
> > and
> > would hate losing the data stored on it. What am I missing?

Dave B.

Re: Western Digital SATA 400GB aka Disk1 is offline and cant read
Well, from what I can tell with the research I did since your post (because
I was curious about Vista dynamic disk support), all versions of Vista
support dynamic disks (where as XP Home did not, only Pro), but I can't find
any info about moving a dynamic disk from XP Pro to Vista.
Depending on how important the data is you can manually convert the disk
back to basic if you find no other solution.
http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806
Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject will come along.

--
----
> Yes
>
> "Dave B." wrote:
>
>> No such thing as Windows Home Media Center, Media Center is actually a
>> sub
>> set of XP Pro.
>> Was this a dynamic disk?
>>
>> --
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Was running Windows Home Media Center and upgraded via fresh install of
>> > Vista
>> > Home Premium. In Disk Management, my secondary WD hard drive known as
>> > Disk
>> > 1
>> > is not online. I tried Diskpart to try to bring it online, nothing. In
>> > Disk
>> > Management I selected disk 1 and right clicked and it does't allow me
>> > import or bring online. Only option is to convert to basic and loose
>> > data
>> > and
>> > properties. I took the drive out and connected to another Windows XP
>> > PC
>> > and disk managment states that its foriegn. Still can't being it
>> > online.
>> > The
>> > drive was working perfectly before the upgrade. This was my backup
>> > drive
>> > and
>> > would hate losing the data stored on it. What am I missing?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Re: Western Digital SATA 400GB aka Disk1 is offline and cant read
Thanks for your help Dave.

What I did to solve the problem was to rebuild the XP Home Media Center. I
was able to get the data off and onto a basic drive. Once I got all the data
copied, I rebuilt Vista and reformatted the drive. So now all is well as I
await the release of various drivers and other software.

Robert

"Dave B." wrote:

> Well, from what I can tell with the research I did since your post (because
> I was curious about Vista dynamic disk support), all versions of Vista
> support dynamic disks (where as XP Home did not, only Pro), but I can't find
> any info about moving a dynamic disk from XP Pro to Vista.
> Depending on how important the data is you can manually convert the disk
> back to basic if you find no other solution.
> http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806
> Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject will come along.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes
> >
> > "Dave B." wrote:
> >
> >> No such thing as Windows Home Media Center, Media Center is actually a
> >> sub
> >> set of XP Pro.
> >> Was this a dynamic disk?
> >>
> >> --
> >> ----
> >> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> >> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://www.db-pc.com

Dave B.

Re: Western Digital SATA 400GB aka Disk1 is offline and cant read
I was gonna suggest that too, but it seemed like allot of work, but ya gotta
do what you gotta do. Still haven't found a definite answer on Vista dynamic
drive support.

--