DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA

Frank Lauter

DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA
Hello!

I have 2 VGA-cards in my PC.

1x ATI RADEON X850 -> 2 Monitore
1x NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

With XP there was no problem...

After the Vista installation a new driver vor the NVIDIA-Card was loaded.

But the second VGA Card still did not work!

German Error:
"Dieses Gerät wurde angehalten, weil es Fehler gemeldet hat. (Code 43)"

Any Ideas?

RGDS Frank

Sorry for the CC

Slugsie

Re: DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA
It's a limitation of Vista that if you use multiple graphics cards then they
must use the same driver, thus they must be from the same chip company (i.e.
both nVidia or both ATI).

Besides, the Riva card won't support Aero so you'd want to upgrade that
anyway.

--
</Slugsie>
"Frank Lauter" <Sysop@Fliegerei.net> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I have 2 VGA-cards in my PC.
>
> 1x ATI RADEON X850 -> 2 Monitore
> 1x NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
>
> With XP there was no problem...
>
> After the Vista installation a new driver vor the NVIDIA-Card was loaded.
>
> But the second VGA Card still did not work!
>
> German Error:
> "Dieses Gerät wurde angehalten, weil es Fehler gemeldet hat. (Code 43)"
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> RGDS Frank
>
> Sorry for the CC

Frank Lauter

Re: DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA
Hi

"Slugsie" <slugsie_no_spim@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> It's a limitation of Vista that if you use multiple graphics cards then
> they must use the same driver, thus they must be from the same chip
> company (i.e. both nVidia or both ATI).

I hope this is a bad joke... because I think that 80% of all Multiscreen
user have different VGA-Cards...

> Besides, the Riva card won't support Aero so you'd want to upgrade that
> anyway.

No not realy because this second VGA-Card is only for Screen 3 of 3...

> --
> </Slugsie>

Frank

Ben Enfield

Re: DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA
It is not a joke. Microsoft will only allow one video driver.

> Hi
>
> "Slugsie" <slugsie_no_spim@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> It's a limitation of Vista that if you use multiple graphics cards then
>> they must use the same driver, thus they must be from the same chip
>> company (i.e. both nVidia or both ATI).

> I hope this is a bad joke... because I think that 80% of all Multiscreen
> user have different VGA-Cards...
>

>> Besides, the Riva card won't support Aero so you'd want to upgrade that
>> anyway.

> No not realy because this second VGA-Card is only for Screen 3 of 3...
>

>> --
>> </Slugsie>

> Frank

Slugsie

Re: DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA
Unfortunately, no, this isn't a bad joke.

Doesn't matter if its for a secondary monitor or not. Unless all cards
support Aero, you won't get Aero.

--
</Slugsie>
"Frank Lauter" <Sysop@Fliegerei.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> I hope this is a bad joke... because I think that 80% of all Multiscreen
> user have different VGA-Cards...
>

> No not realy because this second VGA-Card is only for Screen 3 of 3...

Clint

Re: DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA
I think your estimate is way off. I'd guess the majority of multi-screen
(vs. multiple display card) users have only one card in their system, since
most current cards have the ability to drive two displays. And if I DID
have a second display card in my system, I would probably buy a card from
the same manufacturer of my original card because of brand loyalty and a
desire to try to minimize driver hassles, like maintaining the current
version of the drivers and conflicts between cards/drivers.

Just my $0.02.

Clint

"Frank Lauter" <Sysop@Fliegerei.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> "Slugsie" <slugsie_no_spim@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> It's a limitation of Vista that if you use multiple graphics cards then
>> they must use the same driver, thus they must be from the same chip
>> company (i.e. both nVidia or both ATI).

> I hope this is a bad joke... because I think that 80% of all Multiscreen
> user have different VGA-Cards...
>

>> Besides, the Riva card won't support Aero so you'd want to upgrade that
>> anyway.

> No not realy because this second VGA-Card is only for Screen 3 of 3...
>

>> --
>> </Slugsie>

> Frank

Frank Lauter

Re: DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA
Hi

>I think your estimate is way off. I'd guess the majority of multi-screen
>(vs. multiple display card) users have only one card in their system, since
>most current cards have the ability to drive two displays. And if I DID
>have a second display card in my system, I would probably buy a card from
>the same manufacturer of my original card because of brand loyalty and a
>desire to try to minimize driver hassles, like maintaining the current
>version of the drivers and conflicts between cards/drivers.

For 2 Screens no problem, but for more this is a problem....

You don't find the same (Powerfull) VGA-Card one for AGP one for PCI...

e.G. 2 NVIDIA PCIexpress have problems with the IRQ (and the lanes) and
don't run together (XP)

> Just my $0.02.

Just my 100 bucks... :-)

> Clint

Frank

Slugsie

Re: DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA
That's quite obviously not the case, otherwise SLi would never work. If you
put two identical PCI Express cards into an SLi motherboard, but disable
SLi, then you get two working independant high powered cards.

Anyway, unfortunately for you running 3 or more more monitors is incredibly
rare, and considered a spe******t solution. There are hardware solutions
that do allow you to run more than 2 monitors off one graphics card (highest
I have seen was 8 monitors IIRC)

--

> For 2 Screens no problem, but for more this is a problem....
>
> You don't find the same (Powerfull) VGA-Card one for AGP one for PCI...
>
> e.G. 2 NVIDIA PCIexpress have problems with the IRQ (and the lanes) and
> don't run together (XP)
>
>> Just my $0.02.

> Just my 100 bucks... :-)
>>
>> Clint

> Frank

Frank Lauter

> That's quite obviously not the case, otherwise SLi would never work. If
> you put two identical PCI Express cards into an SLi motherboard, but
> disable SLi, then you get two working independant high powered cards.

Yes of course but I have "only" AGP & PCI -> New Mainbord 200 Bucks New CPU
900 Bucks New 2 PCIx VGA Cards 700 bucks... So 2100 to get Vista running?!

> Anyway, unfortunately for you running 3 or more more monitors is
> incredibly rare, and considered a spe******t solution. There are hardware
> solutions that do allow you to run more than 2 monitors off one graphics
> card (highest I have seen was 8 monitors IIRC)

rare? Yes for the consumer market but for developer I think nearly everybody
has at least 2 Screen... (ok that works with one VGA card...I know..)

Frank

> Hi
>

> Yes of course but I have "only" AGP & PCI -> New Mainbord 200 Bucks New
> CPU 900 Bucks New 2 PCIx VGA Cards 700 bucks... So 2100 to get Vista
> running?!

I was responding to your statement:

"e.G. 2 NVIDIA PCIexpress have problems with the IRQ (and the lanes) and
don't run together (XP)"

Not suggesting a course of action.

You should be able to quite cheaply purchase a PCI card that matches your
AGP card chip manufacturer and add additional screens that way. Total cost
probably around $100, maybe less if you buy second hand/ebay.

(oh, and 200+900+700 <> 2100 )

> rare? Yes for the consumer market but for developer I think nearly
> everybody has at least 2 Screen... (ok that works with one VGA card...I
> know..)

Not true. I am a software developer for one of the largest IT companies in
the world, and no-one where I work uses dual monitors (mostly becuase the
company wouldn't fork out for the cost).

The fact still remains, probably 95%+ of the market only uses a single
screen. Of those that use more than 1 screen, probably 99%+ only use two
screens. So more than that is a vanishingly small market.

(BTW, I've been a dual screen user at home since Windows 98 was in beta)

--
</Slugsie>