My brand new computer won't run Aero!??

=?Utf-8?B?RWl6?=

My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
What gives? just got this thing in December and it said it was "Vista Premium
Ready" I installed Vista and I "CAN'T USE AERO!!??" HUH??

here are the specks...

Display adapter type Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
Total available graphics memory 358 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
Dedicated system memory 64 MB
Shared system memory 294 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.14.10.1138
Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

So what can I do??
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
Open Vista's Help and Support and type AERO in the search box,
then hit your ENTER key for troubleshooting suggestions.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Eiz" wrote:

What gives? just got this thing in December and it said it was "Vista Premium
Ready" I installed Vista and I "CAN'T USE AERO!!??" HUH??

here are the specks...

Display adapter type Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
Total available graphics memory 358 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
Dedicated system memory 64 MB
Shared system memory 294 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.14.10.1138
Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

So what can I do??
Robert Firth

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
Well, you either don't have enough memory, a card that supports pixel shader
2.0, or wddm drivers. Is it integrated graphics? How much system memory do
you have? It seems that your graphics card doesn't have any dedicated
graphics memory and only a little dedicated system memory. I'm not sure
about the specific requirements in a situation like this.

The simplest solution would be to purchase a supported graphics card if this
one is not supported. They aren't terribly expensive.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

"Eiz" <Eiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What gives? just got this thing in December and it said it was "Vista
> Premium
> Ready" I installed Vista and I "CAN'T USE AERO!!??" HUH??
>
> here are the specks...
>
> Display adapter type Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
> Total available graphics memory 358 MB
> Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
> Dedicated system memory 64 MB
> Shared system memory 294 MB
> Display adapter driver version 7.14.10.1138
> Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
> DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
>

> So what can I do??

JW

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
In your BIOS make sure that the amount of memory you have made available to
your graphics chip is 128MB not more and not less.
If Aero still does not work then you need more main memory. I had to up my
main memory with intel 950 graphics set at 128 to more then 512 of main
memory to get Aero to work in RC2. Although other Premium Features such as
Media Center worked fine with only 512. However, once I got Aero working I
did not like it disabled it so I don't get much benefit from the increased
main memory except the system boots faster.
"Eiz" <Eiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What gives? just got this thing in December and it said it was "Vista
> Premium
> Ready" I installed Vista and I "CAN'T USE AERO!!??" HUH??
>
> here are the specks...
>
> Display adapter type Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
> Total available graphics memory 358 MB
> Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
> Dedicated system memory 64 MB
> Shared system memory 294 MB
> Display adapter driver version 7.14.10.1138
> Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
> DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
>

> So what can I do??

Robert Firth

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
What didn't you like about Aero? If it was only the transparency, leave it
turned on and simply turn off transparency. You should get a performance
boost from it. If it was the Vista UI in general and you are now running the
classic ui, then nevermind.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> In your BIOS make sure that the amount of memory you have made available
> to your graphics chip is 128MB not more and not less.
> If Aero still does not work then you need more main memory. I had to up
> my main memory with intel 950 graphics set at 128 to more then 512 of main
> memory to get Aero to work in RC2. Although other Premium Features such as
> Media Center worked fine with only 512. However, once I got Aero working I
> did not like it disabled it so I don't get much benefit from the increased
> main memory except the system boots faster.
> "Eiz" <Eiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What gives? just got this thing in December and it said it was "Vista
>> Premium
>> Ready" I installed Vista and I "CAN'T USE AERO!!??" HUH??
>>
>> here are the specks...
>>
>> Display adapter type Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
>> Total available graphics memory 358 MB
>> Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
>> Dedicated system memory 64 MB
>> Shared system memory 294 MB
>> Display adapter driver version 7.14.10.1138
>> Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
>> DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
>>

>> So what can I do??

JW

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
I didn't like the transparency and I did not realize that I would get some
other performace increase from using it with this function disalbled .
Please supply a link that explainse how Aero provide a performace increas in
some areas.since itt is hard for me to understand how you get a perof\ramace
from a function that requirs more resources to run.
"Robert Firth" <webmaster@winvistainfo.org> wrote in message
> What didn't you like about Aero? If it was only the transparency, leave it
> turned on and simply turn off transparency. You should get a performance
> boost from it. If it was the Vista UI in general and you are now running
> the classic ui, then nevermind.
>
> --
> /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Robert Firth *
> * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
> * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
>
> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> In your BIOS make sure that the amount of memory you have made available
>> to your graphics chip is 128MB not more and not less.
>> If Aero still does not work then you need more main memory. I had to up
>> my main memory with intel 950 graphics set at 128 to more then 512 of
>> main memory to get Aero to work in RC2. Although other Premium Features
>> such as Media Center worked fine with only 512. However, once I got Aero
>> working I did not like it disabled it so I don't get much benefit from
>> the increased main memory except the system boots faster.
>> "Eiz" <Eiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> What gives? just got this thing in December and it said it was "Vista
>>> Premium
>>> Ready" I installed Vista and I "CAN'T USE AERO!!??" HUH??
>>>
>>> here are the specks...
>>>
>>> Display adapter type Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
>>> Total available graphics memory 358 MB
>>> Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
>>> Dedicated system memory 64 MB
>>> Shared system memory 294 MB
>>> Display adapter driver version 7.14.10.1138
>>> Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
>>> DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
>>>

>>> So what can I do??

Slugsie

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
Aero provides a performance boost because most of the work to render it is
done by the GPU on your graphics card which otherwise spends most of its
time idle when running Windows. Thus there should be little impact on your
CPU.

Aero also brings other advantages besides the performance. Gone should be
the days of a misbehaving app that has hung causing the whole screen to
start acting funny and not allowing other windows to display properly.
Windows are now handled totally independantly and there should be no
possibility of one window affecting another.

If the tranparency is not your thnig, then by all means turn it off, but I
would definately recommend leaving Aero on if you have hardware capable of
running it.

--
</Slugsie>
>I didn't like the transparency and I did not realize that I would get some
>other performace increase from using it with this function disalbled .
>Please supply a link that explainse how Aero provide a performace increas
>in some areas.since itt is hard for me to understand how you get a
>perof\ramace from a function that requirs more resources to run.
> "Robert Firth" <webmaster@winvistainfo.org> wrote in message
>> What didn't you like about Aero? If it was only the transparency, leave
>> it turned on and simply turn off transparency. You should get a
>> performance boost from it. If it was the Vista UI in general and you are
>> now running the classic ui, then nevermind.
>>
>> --
>> /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> * Robert Firth *
>> * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
>> * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
>>
>> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>>> In your BIOS make sure that the amount of memory you have made available
>>> to your graphics chip is 128MB not more and not less.
>>> If Aero still does not work then you need more main memory. I had to up
>>> my main memory with intel 950 graphics set at 128 to more then 512 of
>>> main memory to get Aero to work in RC2. Although other Premium Features
>>> such as Media Center worked fine with only 512. However, once I got Aero
>>> working I did not like it disabled it so I don't get much benefit from
>>> the increased main memory except the system boots faster.

JW

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
Thank you for your excellent response. I will turn it back on.

"Slugsie" <slugsie_no_spim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Aero provides a performance boost because most of the work to render it is
> done by the GPU on your graphics card which otherwise spends most of its
> time idle when running Windows. Thus there should be little impact on your
> CPU.
>
> Aero also brings other advantages besides the performance. Gone should be
> the days of a misbehaving app that has hung causing the whole screen to
> start acting funny and not allowing other windows to display properly.
> Windows are now handled totally independantly and there should be no
> possibility of one window affecting another.
>
> If the tranparency is not your thnig, then by all means turn it off, but I
> would definately recommend leaving Aero on if you have hardware capable of
> running it.
>
> --
> </Slugsie>
> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>>I didn't like the transparency and I did not realize that I would get some
>>other performace increase from using it with this function disalbled .
>>Please supply a link that explainse how Aero provide a performace increas
>>in some areas.since itt is hard for me to understand how you get a
>>perof\ramace from a function that requirs more resources to run.
>> "Robert Firth" <webmaster@winvistainfo.org> wrote in message
>>> What didn't you like about Aero? If it was only the transparency, leave
>>> it turned on and simply turn off transparency. You should get a
>>> performance boost from it. If it was the Vista UI in general and you are
>>> now running the classic ui, then nevermind.
>>>
>>> --
>>> /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>>> * Robert Firth *
>>> * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
>>> * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
>>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

Slugsie

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
You're welcome.

--
</Slugsie>
> Thank you for your excellent response. I will turn it back on.

Bryan Foster

Re: My brand new computer won't run Aero!??
I disagree, I disabled aero also and noticed a performance increase. My PC
is a AMD 64 FX 55, 2gb RAM, NVIDIA 7600GT. At idle with Aero enabled, my pc
used about 690mb of ram, with it disabled, it uses only 410 mb of ram. Thus
everything runs much faster and opens faster. I like Aero, I think it is
nice, but im a avid gamer and I need performance. I have recently upgraded
to 2gb of ram from 1gb, so it using 690 at idle was a serious hit.