Vista won't recognize HDD

Ryetronics

Vista won't recognize HDD
I have a dual boot configuration of XP and Vista, with each OS on
their own respective HDD's. I also have a 3rd HDD that has all of my
media documents on it. Through XP, that media drive is linked to [My
Documents]. But when I try to access that drive in Vista, it is
listed as Offline. When I right-click on it in Computer Management,
my only options are Convert to Basic, Properties and Help.

Obviously I don't want to have to change the drive to Basic as I'll
lose my files, but why is it that Vista won't recognize it as being
online when it's Dynamic? Is it because it's already linked to My
Documents through my XP setup?

Anyone know of a solution here that doesn't involve reformatting the
media drive?
Thanks!

Ned Buckmaster

Re: Vista won't recognize HDD
You did not load Ultimate or one of the business versions of Vista, right?
Only Ultimate or business vista knows how to access a dynamic drive...even
though you are allowed to create one with XP MCE...

Ned

"Ryetronics" <ryetronics@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170288609.196187.48540@a75g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
>I have a dual boot configuration of XP and Vista, with each OS on
> their own respective HDD's. I also have a 3rd HDD that has all of my
> media documents on it. Through XP, that media drive is linked to [My
> Documents]. But when I try to access that drive in Vista, it is
> listed as Offline. When I right-click on it in Computer Management,
> my only options are Convert to Basic, Properties and Help.
>
> Obviously I don't want to have to change the drive to Basic as I'll
> lose my files, but why is it that Vista won't recognize it as being
> online when it's Dynamic? Is it because it's already linked to My
> Documents through my XP setup?
>
> Anyone know of a solution here that doesn't involve reformatting the
> media drive?
> Thanks!

Dave B.

Re: Vista won't recognize HDD
Any actual documentation on this? From the limited info I could find on the
subject it looked like all versions of Vista support dynamic disks.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"Ned Buckmaster" <Ned.C.Buckmaster@Boeing.com> wrote in message
> You did not load Ultimate or one of the business versions of Vista, right?
> Only Ultimate or business vista knows how to access a dynamic drive...even
> though you are allowed to create one with XP MCE...
>
> Ned
>
> "Ryetronics" <ryetronics@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1170288609.196187.48540@a75g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
>>I have a dual boot configuration of XP and Vista, with each OS on
>> their own respective HDD's. I also have a 3rd HDD that has all of my
>> media documents on it. Through XP, that media drive is linked to [My
>> Documents]. But when I try to access that drive in Vista, it is
>> listed as Offline. When I right-click on it in Computer Management,
>> my only options are Convert to Basic, Properties and Help.
>>
>> Obviously I don't want to have to change the drive to Basic as I'll
>> lose my files, but why is it that Vista won't recognize it as being
>> online when it's Dynamic? Is it because it's already linked to My
>> Documents through my XP setup?
>>
>> Anyone know of a solution here that doesn't involve reformatting the
>> media drive?
>> Thanks!

Ned Buckmaster

Re: Vista won't recognize HDD
No documentation - personal experience with RTM versions.

"Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> Any actual documentation on this? From the limited info I could find on
> the subject it looked like all versions of Vista support dynamic disks.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Ned Buckmaster" <Ned.C.Buckmaster@Boeing.com> wrote in message
>> You did not load Ultimate or one of the business versions of Vista,
>> right? Only Ultimate or business vista knows how to access a dynamic
>> drive...even though you are allowed to create one with XP MCE...
>>
>> Ned
>>
>> "Ryetronics" <ryetronics@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1170288609.196187.48540@a75g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
>>>I have a dual boot configuration of XP and Vista, with each OS on
>>> their own respective HDD's. I also have a 3rd HDD that has all of my
>>> media documents on it. Through XP, that media drive is linked to [My
>>> Documents]. But when I try to access that drive in Vista, it is
>>> listed as Offline. When I right-click on it in Computer Management,
>>> my only options are Convert to Basic, Properties and Help.
>>>
>>> Obviously I don't want to have to change the drive to Basic as I'll
>>> lose my files, but why is it that Vista won't recognize it as being
>>> online when it's Dynamic? Is it because it's already linked to My
>>> Documents through my XP setup?
>>>
>>> Anyone know of a solution here that doesn't involve reformatting the
>>> media drive?
>>> Thanks!

Dave B.

Re: Vista won't recognize HDD
Ok. If you look at this brief article describing basic and dynamic disks, it
says it applies to all versions of Vista.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...621ce1033.mspx
I can't find a definite answer.
--
----
> No documentation - personal experience with RTM versions.
>
> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> Any actual documentation on this? From the limited info I could find on
>> the subject it looked like all versions of Vista support dynamic disks.
>>
>> --
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "Ned Buckmaster" <Ned.C.Buckmaster@Boeing.com> wrote in message
>>> You did not load Ultimate or one of the business versions of Vista,
>>> right? Only Ultimate or business vista knows how to access a dynamic
>>> drive...even though you are allowed to create one with XP MCE...
>>>
>>> Ned
>>>
>>> "Ryetronics" <ryetronics@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:1170288609.196187.48540@a75g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...

nibbley

Re: Vista won't recognize HDD
Here is the best I can come up with
Go to the command prompt and try this:

1.. Type:
diskpart

2.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
list disk

Make note of the disk number of the disk that you want to bring online.

3.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
select disk n

4.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
online

where "n" is the dynamic disk

Cheers this is the best that I have.
Chuck

> Ok. If you look at this brief article describing basic and dynamic disks,
> it says it applies to all versions of Vista.
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...621ce1033.mspx
> I can't find a definite answer.
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Ned Buckmaster" <Ned.C.Buckmaster@Boeing.com> wrote in message
>> No documentation - personal experience with RTM versions.
>>
>> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>>> Any actual documentation on this? From the limited info I could find on
>>> the subject it looked like all versions of Vista support dynamic disks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ----
>>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>> http://www.db-pc.com
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=?Utf-8?B?UmF2ZW4gQmxhZGU=?=

Re: Vista won't recognize HDD
I am in the same boat as the topic creator. Where my hard drive (the one in
which no OS is installed), shows up as offline and cannot be reactivated
within Disk Management. I had attempted the below solution before reading
this and can assure you it does not work. Problem is that it's not simply
listed as offline within DiskPart but as "invalid". Thus an error message
occurs when trying to online the disk drive because it is invalid.

I have yet to discover a solution to this problem that does not require
backing up and formatting the hard drive, which is something I'd hate to do.
If anybody can come up with an answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, nibbley, but that one just didn't work.

"nibbley" wrote:

> Here is the best I can come up with
> Go to the command prompt and try this:
>
> 1.. Type:
> diskpart
>
> 2.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
> list disk
>
> Make note of the disk number of the disk that you want to bring online.
>
> 3.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
> select disk n
>
> 4.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
> online
>
> where "n" is the dynamic disk
>
> Cheers this is the best that I have.
> Chuck
>

> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> > Ok. If you look at this brief article describing basic and dynamic disks,
> > it says it applies to all versions of Vista.
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...621ce1033.mspx
> > I can't find a definite answer.
> > --
> > ----
> > Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> > How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.db-pc.com
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > "Ned Buckmaster" <Ned.C.Buckmaster@Boeing.com> wrote in message
> >> No documentation - personal experience with RTM versions.

JW

Re: Vista won't recognize HDD
Does the drive appear normally in your BIOS?
"Raven Blade" <Raven Blade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am in the same boat as the topic creator. Where my hard drive (the one
>in
> which no OS is installed), shows up as offline and cannot be reactivated
> within Disk Management. I had attempted the below solution before reading
> this and can assure you it does not work. Problem is that it's not simply
> listed as offline within DiskPart but as "invalid". Thus an error message
> occurs when trying to online the disk drive because it is invalid.
>
> I have yet to discover a solution to this problem that does not require
> backing up and formatting the hard drive, which is something I'd hate to
> do.
> If anybody can come up with an answer, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sorry, nibbley, but that one just didn't work.
>
> "nibbley" wrote:
>
>> Here is the best I can come up with
>> Go to the command prompt and try this:
>>
>> 1.. Type:
>> diskpart
>>
>> 2.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
>> list disk
>>
>> Make note of the disk number of the disk that you want to bring online.
>>
>> 3.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
>> select disk n
>>
>> 4.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
>> online
>>
>> where "n" is the dynamic disk
>>
>> Cheers this is the best that I have.
>> Chuck
>>

>> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> > Ok. If you look at this brief article describing basic and dynamic
>> > disks,
>> > it says it applies to all versions of Vista.
>> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...621ce1033.mspx
>> > I can't find a definite answer.
>> > --
>> > ----
>> > Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> > How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> > How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.db-pc.com
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=?Utf-8?B?UmF2ZW4gQmxhZGU=?=

Re: Vista won't recognize HDD
JW, the drive shows up on my BIOS as a secondary SATA Drive. Indeed it shows
up not only in the BIOS, it also shows up in XP (when I boot up using XP),
and it is also shown in the Vista Device manager under storage disks despite
the fact that it is unrecognized and invalid in the diskpart list.

Quite a quandary.

"JW" wrote:

> Does the drive appear normally in your BIOS?
> "Raven Blade" <Raven Blade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am in the same boat as the topic creator. Where my hard drive (the one
> >in
> > which no OS is installed), shows up as offline and cannot be reactivated
> > within Disk Management. I had attempted the below solution before reading
> > this and can assure you it does not work. Problem is that it's not simply
> > listed as offline within DiskPart but as "invalid". Thus an error message
> > occurs when trying to online the disk drive because it is invalid.
> >
> > I have yet to discover a solution to this problem that does not require
> > backing up and formatting the hard drive, which is something I'd hate to
> > do.
> > If anybody can come up with an answer, it would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Sorry, nibbley, but that one just didn't work.
> >
> > "nibbley" wrote:
> >
> >> Here is the best I can come up with
> >> Go to the command prompt and try this:
> >>
> >> 1.. Type:
> >> diskpart
> >>
> >> 2.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
> >> list disk
> >>
> >> Make note of the disk number of the disk that you want to bring online.
> >>
> >> 3.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
> >> select disk n
> >>
> >> 4.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
> >> online