4GB of ram

=?Utf-8?B?V2FsZG9zcg==?=

4GB of ram
I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to 4GB. My
BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB
Dustin Harper

Re: 4GB of ram
32Bit version of Windows will only report ~3.2GB of RAM. The 64 bit will
show the full 4GB.

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

Waldosr wrote:
> I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to 4GB. My
> BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
> installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB

=?Utf-8?B?V2FsZG9zcg==?=

Re: 4GB of ram
Thanks for your help. Is there better driver support for Vista 64-bit than
XP 64-bit. That is the main reason that I didn't purchase the xp version.

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> 32Bit version of Windows will only report ~3.2GB of RAM. The 64 bit will
> show the full 4GB.
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>

> Waldosr wrote:
> > I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to 4GB. My
> > BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
> > installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB

Dustin Harper

Re: 4GB of ram
Yes, there is better driver support than XP, but it is still very much
behind the 32 bit drivers. Also, here is a detailed article on the
subject, as well as a possible workaround:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....ight=4GB+limit

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

Waldosr wrote:
> Thanks for your help. Is there better driver support for Vista 64-bit than
> XP 64-bit. That is the main reason that I didn't purchase the xp version.
>
> "Dustin Harper" wrote:
>
>> 32Bit version of Windows will only report ~3.2GB of RAM. The 64 bit will
>> show the full 4GB.
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>

>> Waldosr wrote:
>>> I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to 4GB. My
>>> BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
>>> installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB

=?Utf-8?B?V2FsZG9zcg==?=

RE: 4GB of ram
Ok i was looking at getting the 64-bit version and found this:
"All editions of Windows Vista 64-bit provide increased memory support
beyond the standard 4 gigabytes (GB) available with 32-bit editions. Refer to
the specific edition of Windows Vista 64-bit to determine maximum memory
capacity."

Is this a lie?
Here is the url
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx

"Waldosr" wrote:

> I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to 4GB. My
> BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
> installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB

Slugsie

Re: 4GB of ram
Not exactly. 32bit Windows supports up to a maximum 4GB of addressable
memory. But that does not equate to 4GB of addressable RAM. The upper 800MB
or so is reserved for hardware paging of devices and such, and can't be used
for RAM.

--
</Slugsie>
"Waldosr" <Waldosr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok i was looking at getting the 64-bit version and found this:
> "All editions of Windows Vista 64-bit provide increased memory support
> beyond the standard 4 gigabytes (GB) available with 32-bit editions. Refer
> the specific edition of Windows Vista 64-bit to determine maximum memory
> capacity."
>
> Is this a lie?
> Here is the url
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZXluYXZ5MQ==?=

RE: 4GB of ram
What motherboard do you have that shows all 4GB in the BIOS? I'm running
WIndows Vista 64-bit and it is my BIOS that is supposed to show all 4GB but
only shows 3.2GB. Therefore Windows Vista x64 only sees 3.2GB. I'm pretty
sure it's the motherboard...older Asus P5AD2-E Premium.

"Waldosr" wrote:

> I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to 4GB. My
> BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
> installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB

=?Utf-8?B?V2FsZG9zcg==?=

RE: 4GB of ram
I am using a Asus M2N32-Deluxe SLI and now that I put x64bit version it shows
4 Gigs of Ram. I still feel that it is false advertising on Microsofts part.

"mikeynavy1" wrote:

> What motherboard do you have that shows all 4GB in the BIOS? I'm running
> WIndows Vista 64-bit and it is my BIOS that is supposed to show all 4GB but
> only shows 3.2GB. Therefore Windows Vista x64 only sees 3.2GB. I'm pretty
> sure it's the motherboard...older Asus P5AD2-E Premium.
>
> "Waldosr" wrote:
>
> > I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to 4GB. My
> > BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
> > installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB

Richard Urban

Re: 4GB of ram
Yawn!

>I am using a Asus M2N32-Deluxe SLI and now that I put x64bit version it
>shows
> 4 Gigs of Ram. I still feel that it is false advertising on Microsofts
> part.
>

> "mikeynavy1" wrote:
>
>> What motherboard do you have that shows all 4GB in the BIOS? I'm running
>> WIndows Vista 64-bit and it is my BIOS that is supposed to show all 4GB
>> but
>> only shows 3.2GB. Therefore Windows Vista x64 only sees 3.2GB. I'm
>> pretty
>> sure it's the motherboard...older Asus P5AD2-E Premium.
>>
>> "Waldosr" wrote:
>>
>> > I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to
>> > 4GB. My
>> > BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
>> > installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB

Steve Jain

Re: 4GB of ram
On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:52:31 -0800, Waldosr
<Waldosr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am using a Asus M2N32-Deluxe SLI and now that I put x64bit version it shows
>4 Gigs of Ram. I still feel that it is false advertising on Microsofts part.

Is MS advertising somewhere that you can have full access to 4GB on a
32bit OS?

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP