New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)

=?Utf-8?B?TXJsb3Bleg==?=

New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)
Why was it necessary for Microsoft to require new drivers for our hardware
devices? Were older drivers a source for hackers to exploit?

One of the most frustrating problems faced by PC users is not only finding
the correct driver for a hardware device but also finding the latest driver
version.

It would have been slick if Microsoft came up with a feature that could not
only convert an older driver (I.E. Windows 9x, 2000, XP) for use with Windows
Vista but maintained a database of drivers and revisions so we could find the
best drivers for our systems with only a few mouse clicks.

That kind of tool would be an answer to many if not most of our needs and
would be another great reason for upgrading to Windows Vista.

Do you agree?

Richard Urban

Re: New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)
There are 2 way to think of this.

Windows Vista could be designed to use drivers dating back to Windows 95.

Hardware manufacturers write new drivers to take advantage of under laying
changes to the operating system structure to take advantage of new system
capabilities which weren't available in 1995.

I prefer it to be the second way.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Mrlopez" <Mrlopez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why was it necessary for Microsoft to require new drivers for our hardware
> devices? Were older drivers a source for hackers to exploit?
>
> One of the most frustrating problems faced by PC users is not only finding
> the correct driver for a hardware device but also finding the latest
> driver
> version.
>
> It would have been slick if Microsoft came up with a feature that could
> not
> only convert an older driver (I.E. Windows 9x, 2000, XP) for use with
> Windows
> Vista but maintained a database of drivers and revisions so we could find
> the
> best drivers for our systems with only a few mouse clicks.
>
> That kind of tool would be an answer to many if not most of our needs and
> would be another great reason for upgrading to Windows Vista.
>
> Do you agree?

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

Re: New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)
And the most important new capability of drivers in Vista, if I can believe
what I've read, is that most of them run in user land. Kernel mode drivers
have been the primary source of system crashes in Windows XP and have made
diagnosing some driver / hardware issues very, very difficult. Under Windows
XP one has a really hard time differentiating between a bad driver and bad
hardware. Haven't had any issues in Vista yet to gain experience that would
tell me whether or not the task is easier in Vista. Here's hoping!

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> There are 2 way to think of this.
>
> Windows Vista could be designed to use drivers dating back to Windows 95.
>
> Hardware manufacturers write new drivers to take advantage of under laying
> changes to the operating system structure to take advantage of new system
> capabilities which weren't available in 1995.
>
> I prefer it to be the second way.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "Mrlopez" <Mrlopez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why was it necessary for Microsoft to require new drivers for our hardware
> > devices? Were older drivers a source for hackers to exploit?
> >
> > One of the most frustrating problems faced by PC users is not only finding
> > the correct driver for a hardware device but also finding the latest
> > driver
> > version.
> >
> > It would have been slick if Microsoft came up with a feature that could
> > not
> > only convert an older driver (I.E. Windows 9x, 2000, XP) for use with
> > Windows
> > Vista but maintained a database of drivers and revisions so we could find
> > the
> > best drivers for our systems with only a few mouse clicks.
> >
> > That kind of tool would be an answer to many if not most of our needs and
> > would be another great reason for upgrading to Windows Vista.
> >
> > Do you agree?

Kerry Brown

Re: New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)
Yes, the way drivers worked in previous versions of Windows is a security
problem and it is possible for hackers to exploit this.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Mrlopez" <Mrlopez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why was it necessary for Microsoft to require new drivers for our hardware
> devices? Were older drivers a source for hackers to exploit?
>
> One of the most frustrating problems faced by PC users is not only finding
> the correct driver for a hardware device but also finding the latest
> driver
> version.
>
> It would have been slick if Microsoft came up with a feature that could
> not
> only convert an older driver (I.E. Windows 9x, 2000, XP) for use with
> Windows
> Vista but maintained a database of drivers and revisions so we could find
> the
> best drivers for our systems with only a few mouse clicks.
>
> That kind of tool would be an answer to many if not most of our needs and
> would be another great reason for upgrading to Windows Vista.
>
> Do you agree?

=?Utf-8?B?TXJsb3Bleg==?=

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> There are 2 way to think of this.
>
> Windows Vista could be designed to use drivers dating back to Windows 95.
>
> Hardware manufacturers write new drivers to take advantage of under laying
> changes to the operating system structure to take advantage of new system
> capabilities which weren't available in 1995.
>
> I prefer it to be the second way.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:

I agree that having drivers that take advantage of new features is best for
the PC but while we are waiting for that driver to be posted we would benefit
from having at least a basic functional driver as opposed to nothing.
=?Utf-8?B?TXJsb3Bleg==?=

Re: New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)
So if we had a tool for Vista to convert a previous driver to work with Vista
that would help while the newest driver is being written.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Yes, the way drivers worked in previous versions of Windows is a security
> problem and it is possible for hackers to exploit this.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Mrlopez" <Mrlopez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why was it necessary for Microsoft to require new drivers for our hardware
> > devices? Were older drivers a source for hackers to exploit?
> >
> > One of the most frustrating problems faced by PC users is not only finding
> > the correct driver for a hardware device but also finding the latest
> > driver
> > version.
> >
> > It would have been slick if Microsoft came up with a feature that could
> > not
> > only convert an older driver (I.E. Windows 9x, 2000, XP) for use with
> > Windows
> > Vista but maintained a database of drivers and revisions so we could find
> > the
> > best drivers for our systems with only a few mouse clicks.
> >
> > That kind of tool would be an answer to many if not most of our needs and
> > would be another great reason for upgrading to Windows Vista.
> >
> > Do you agree?

Richard Urban

Re: New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)
Why don't you write said miraculous program? You could be the next Bill
Gates. <grin>

Believe me, if it could be done it would have already been done. You would
need a tool that is familiar with every piece of hardware ever manufacture
red. Not as simple or easy as you would make it out to be.

It is up to the hardware device manufacturer to either recode their original
drivers (NOT) or write new drivers that allow the ancient hardware to
communicate with the operating system (may be impossible to do).

--

> So if we had a tool for Vista to convert a previous driver to work with
> Vista
> that would help while the newest driver is being written.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Yes, the way drivers worked in previous versions of Windows is a security
>> problem and it is possible for hackers to exploit this.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "Mrlopez" <Mrlopez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Why was it necessary for Microsoft to require new drivers for our
>> > hardware
>> > devices? Were older drivers a source for hackers to exploit?
>> >
>> > One of the most frustrating problems faced by PC users is not only
>> > finding
>> > the correct driver for a hardware device but also finding the latest
>> > driver
>> > version.
>> >
>> > It would have been slick if Microsoft came up with a feature that could
>> > not
>> > only convert an older driver (I.E. Windows 9x, 2000, XP) for use with
>> > Windows
>> > Vista but maintained a database of drivers and revisions so we could
>> > find
>> > the
>> > best drivers for our systems with only a few mouse clicks.
>> >
>> > That kind of tool would be an answer to many if not most of our needs
>> > and
>> > would be another great reason for upgrading to Windows Vista.
>> >
>> > Do you agree?

Richard Urban

Re: New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)
REDO!

Why don't you write said miraculous program? You could be the next Bill
Gates. <grin>

Believe me, if it could be done it would have already been done. You would
need a tool that is familiar with every piece of hardware that every
manufacture
ever produced. Not as simple or easy as you would make it out to be.

> Why don't you write said miraculous program? You could be the next Bill
> Gates. <grin>
>
> Believe me, if it could be done it would have already been done. You would
> need a tool that is familiar with every piece of hardware ever manufacture
> red. Not as simple or easy as you would make it out to be.
>
> It is up to the hardware device manufacturer to either recode their
> original drivers (NOT) or write new drivers that allow the ancient
> hardware to communicate with the operating system (may be impossible to
> do).
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "Mrlopez" <Mrlopez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> So if we had a tool for Vista to convert a previous driver to work with
>> Vista
>> that would help while the newest driver is being written.
>>
>> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, the way drivers worked in previous versions of Windows is a
>>> security
>>> problem and it is possible for hackers to exploit this.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kerry Brown
>>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>>> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: New Vista Drivers tool (Can it be done?)
Many properly written XP drivers work fine with Vista x86. Vista x64 needs
signed drivers. There is no way around this. Companies will have to write
new drivers. Whenever a new version of Windows comes out this happens. With
Vista x64 it's twice as hard because most companies don't currently write 64
bit drivers and Vista is a new OS.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Mrlopez" <Mrlopez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So if we had a tool for Vista to convert a previous driver to work with
> Vista
> that would help while the newest driver is being written.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Yes, the way drivers worked in previous versions of Windows is a security
>> problem and it is possible for hackers to exploit this.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "Mrlopez" <Mrlopez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Why was it necessary for Microsoft to require new drivers for our
>> > hardware
>> > devices? Were older drivers a source for hackers to exploit?
>> >
>> > One of the most frustrating problems faced by PC users is not only
>> > finding
>> > the correct driver for a hardware device but also finding the latest
>> > driver
>> > version.
>> >
>> > It would have been slick if Microsoft came up with a feature that could
>> > not
>> > only convert an older driver (I.E. Windows 9x, 2000, XP) for use with
>> > Windows
>> > Vista but maintained a database of drivers and revisions so we could
>> > find
>> > the
>> > best drivers for our systems with only a few mouse clicks.
>> >
>> > That kind of tool would be an answer to many if not most of our needs
>> > and
>> > would be another great reason for upgrading to Windows Vista.
>> >
>> > Do you agree?

=?Utf-8?B?TXJsb3Bleg==?=

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Why don't you write said miraculous program? You could be the next Bill
> Gates. <grin>

If I could I would. I'm just asking the question.

> Believe me, if it could be done it would have already been done. You would
> need a tool that is familiar with every piece of hardware ever manufacture
> red. Not as simple or easy as you would make it out to be.
>
> It is up to the hardware device manufacturer to either recode their original
> drivers (NOT) or write new drivers that allow the ancient hardware to
> communicate with the operating system (may be impossible to do).

I wasn't talking about a tool that could create drivers from scratch, I was
talking about a tool that could take for example a Windows XP driver and
making modifications for it to be able to work with Windows Vista. You
wouldn't need to have a tool that is familiar with every piece of hardware
ever manufactured because the Windows XP driver already has the info.

Do you believe every software tool that could be written has already been
done?

I'm sure someone hated DOS and wondered why we couldn't have an OS that used
a different way to run programs and manage the PCs resources than using
command line instructions. And one day someone got the idea for "Windows".

That sounds overly simplified as well and was a lot more difficult to do
than the tool I'm talking about. I'm just asking a question, not saying it
should be done.