Vista related Hard Disk Problem

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FydGVy?=

Vista related Hard Disk Problem
Hi.

I got vista today and installed it as a clean install. Once it was installed
and running I received an error message stating "Windows detected a hard disk
problem" and it then asks to start the backup process or ask me again later.

The detailes state this:

Because a disk faliure will cause you to lose all programs, files and
documents on the disk, you should back up your important information
immediately. Try not to use your computer until you have repaired or replaced
the hard disk.

Which disk is failing?
The following hard disks are reporting failure:
Disk Name: ST980829A ATA Device
Volume: C:\D:\

Now, I've tried to re-install and delete the original partition but I am
never getting to that option as I would with Windows XP SP2. So this was
installed onto of the old partition with XP. My laptop is only 4 months old
and I do not want to have to get a new hard drive, as it would ultimately end
up costing more than what the good deal I got my laptop was.

It's a Compaq Presario V5000. I never had any issues until today when I
installed Vista. Is there any solution or a way to delete the old partition
and start a fresh start.

Thanks
Carter
Richard Urban

Re: Vista related Hard Disk Problem
I suggest you download the hard drive test utility from the manufacturers
web site. If HP/Compaq doesn't have one use the one from Seagate's web site.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User