This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Sprout9858

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
I was installing my HP All in One Printer with my new wireless network and
router. Since doing so I receive this error code "This device cannot start.
(Code 10)" for my CD/DVD Drive and am unable to read or play a CD/DVD. I have
already reinstalled the driver, but still get the same error. What do I do?
dean-dean

Re: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Follow the instructions given here (Method 2):

Although the article mentions XP, the same registry keys are used by Vista.

In this Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318},

note that the Key is identified in the left-hand pane of Registry Editor.
The Values for that key are seen in the right-hand pane. The Values called
LowerFilters and UpperFilters are the Values that you want to select and
delete. You can right-click on those two values to do that. They will be
in the same key. If you only see one of those two values, then just delete
the one.

If you want to back up the key before you make a change, highlight the key,
and choose File from the menu, and then choose Export. Name it GoBack.reg.
Hopefully, though, you won't have to use your backup, and things will work
out. Should you want to undo your changes, just click on GoBack.reg.

If you don't find the Values noted above, post back

"Sprout9858" <Sprout9858@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was installing my HP All in One Printer with my new wireless network and
> router. Since doing so I receive this error code "This device cannot
> start.
> (Code 10)" for my CD/DVD Drive and am unable to read or play a CD/DVD. I
> have
> already reinstalled the driver, but still get the same error. What do I
> do?

Mushy-pea

Re: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Hi. Perhaps this is not directly related to the issue raised here, but....I
have been trying to get a USB phone to work on my Vista system so I can run a
VoIP line from it. When the device is plugged in it appears in device
manager (as USB audio device) with an exclamation mark against it. Looking
in properties reveals the same "This device cannot start (code 10)" error. I
have tried the registry edit you suggested above, but it had no effect.

I also tried getting Windows to search for an updated driver online, but it
concludes the best driver is already installed . The driver Windows tries
to run is vista_rtm.061101.2205. Has anyone got an idea as to what it might
be worth trying next? Any help appriciated. Thanks.

Steven.

Cal Bear '66

Re: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:

Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf

Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
your account full control.

Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
desktop.

REBOOT

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Mushy-pea" <Mushy-pea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Perhaps this is not directly related to the issue raised here, but....I
> have been trying to get a USB phone to work on my Vista system so I can run a
> VoIP line from it. When the device is plugged in it appears in device
> manager (as USB audio device) with an exclamation mark against it. Looking
> in properties reveals the same "This device cannot start (code 10)" error. I
> have tried the registry edit you suggested above, but it had no effect.
>
> I also tried getting Windows to search for an updated driver online, but it
> concludes the best driver is already installed . The driver Windows tries
> to run is vista_rtm.061101.2205. Has anyone got an idea as to what it might
> be worth trying next? Any help appriciated. Thanks.
>
> Steven.

Xenor

Re: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Helped me w/ a PCMCIA problem too...