AMD Cool'n'Quiet in RC2?

Sven

AMD Cool'n'Quiet in RC2?
How do I set the "powersetting" in RC2 to let my AMD 4800+ X2 make use of
Cool'n'quiet?
In WindowsXP it should be set at "Minimal Power Management", but there is no
such setting in Vista (or at least I can't find it). Will I have to get a
seperate driver for Vista from AMD to get it to work?

Regards
Burgurne

Roy Coorne

Re: AMD Cool'n'Quiet in RC2?
Sven wrote:
> How do I set the "powersetting" in RC2 to let my AMD 4800+ X2 make use
> of Cool'n'quiet?
> In WindowsXP it should be set at "Minimal Power Management", but there
> is no such setting in Vista (or at least I can't find it). Will I have
> to get a seperate driver for Vista from AMD to get it to work?

You find it at the same place in RC2 as in XP, but it says something
like 'Minimal energy consumption'.
koze

Re: AMD Cool'n'Quiet in RC2?
You have to use the options from "Power settings" to adjust this settings
for you.

Ko.

"Sven" <Burgurne@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> How do I set the "powersetting" in RC2 to let my AMD 4800+ X2 make use of
> Cool'n'quiet?
> In WindowsXP it should be set at "Minimal Power Management", but there is
> no such setting in Vista (or at least I can't find it). Will I have to get
> a seperate driver for Vista from AMD to get it to work?
>
> Regards
> Burgurne

mikeyhsd

Re: AMD Cool'n'Quiet in RC2?
balanced will allow cpu to reduce in speed and fans to slow down.
energy saver sets cpu to max 50% and also allows fans to slow down.

open the CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS and look at the details.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Sven" <Burgurne@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uY2bgLoQHHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
How do I set the "powersetting" in RC2 to let my AMD 4800+ X2 make use of
Cool'n'quiet?
In WindowsXP it should be set at "Minimal Power Management", but there is no
such setting in Vista (or at least I can't find it). Will I have to get a
seperate driver for Vista from AMD to get it to work?

Regards
Burgurne

Sven

Re: AMD Cool'n'Quiet in RC2?
>balanced will allow cpu to reduce in speed and fans to slow down.
>energy saver sets cpu to max 50% and also allows fans to slow down.
>
>open the CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS and look at the details.
>

>mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

I can't find anything recording to CPU or fan in powersetting -> Edit Plan
Settings. I only have these choises in "advanced settings":
Additional settings (password at wakeup Yes/No)
Hard disk
Wireless Adapter Settings
Sleep
Powerbuttons and lid
PCI Express
Search and Indexing
Display
Multimedia settings

None of them seems to hold any setting for CPU nor fan. It is not sleeptime
I'm looking after but the real Cool'n'Quiet function from AMD, where my CPU
can change the multiplier from anything between 5 and 12 at any time.
Something that an Intel CPU can't do (yet).

Cheers
Sven Burgurne

mikeyhsd

Re: AMD Cool'n'Quiet in RC2?
mine also has Processor Power Management.
maybe your does not have that capability
do you have Cool & Quite turned on in the BIOS.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Sven" <Burgurne@gmail.com> wrote in message news:86AA38E9-FEDB-4914-8FA0-681DB363D35A@microsoft.com...
>balanced will allow cpu to reduce in speed and fans to slow down.
>energy saver sets cpu to max 50% and also allows fans to slow down.
>
>open the CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS and look at the details.
>

>mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

I can't find anything recording to CPU or fan in powersetting -> Edit Plan
Settings. I only have these choises in "advanced settings":
Additional settings (password at wakeup Yes/No)
Hard disk
Wireless Adapter Settings
Sleep
Powerbuttons and lid
PCI Express
Search and Indexing
Display
Multimedia settings

None of them seems to hold any setting for CPU nor fan. It is not sleeptime
I'm looking after but the real Cool'n'Quiet function from AMD, where my CPU
can change the multiplier from anything between 5 and 12 at any time.
Something that an Intel CPU can't do (yet).

Cheers
Sven Burgurne

Detlev Rackow

Re: AMD Cool'n'Quiet in RC2?
Sven schrieb:
> None of them seems to hold any setting for CPU nor fan. It is not
> sleeptime I'm looking after but the real Cool'n'Quiet function from AMD,
> where my CPU can change the multiplier from anything between 5 and 12 at
> any time. Something that an Intel CPU can't do (yet).

Sven,

from what I found, Vista needs some ACPI-values in the Bios for c'n'q to
work properly. The same happened on my MSI K9N Neo: I can use c'n'q
under XP, but the settings are not visible under Vista. The manufacturer
will implement the required tables with the next Bios release, and I
could get my hands on a beta-version which offers working c'n'q - the
settings are available in every power scheme and can be edited to suit
your needs. Unfortunately, the beta was not that stable overall, and I
have gone back to stable 1.5, wasting energy until version 1.6 arrives

One thing to be aware of: I have experienced that repeated flashing of
new bios releases will cause the need to re-activate your copy of Vista,
thus you should not test every available beta from your manufacturer.

Regards,

Detlev Rackow