MOBO ini file

Carl G

MOBO ini file
Hi guys & Gals
Vista won't let me install the ini file driver for my motherboard.
Is this normal?
Do i maybe need new inifile for vista ?
All worked great on XP.
Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard.
Thanks
--
Carl G

Richard G. Harper

Re: MOBO ini file
Are these Vista drivers or XP drivers? If XP, you probably don't want to
install them.

"Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi guys & Gals
> Vista won't let me install the ini file driver for my motherboard.
> Is this normal?
> Do i maybe need new inifile for vista ?
> All worked great on XP.
> Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard.
> Thanks
> --
> Carl G

Carl G

Re: MOBO ini file
Hi Richard
I just built a new pc a bout a month ago.
All the drivers on my motherboard CD are for XP or earlyer.
I suppose i should see if Asus has updates hu.
Or don't Vista require motherboard drivers .
Thanks

--
Carl G
> Are these Vista drivers or XP drivers? If XP, you probably don't want to
> install them.

> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Hi guys & Gals
>> Vista won't let me install the ini file driver for my motherboard.
>> Is this normal?
>> Do i maybe need new inifile for vista ?
>> All worked great on XP.
>> Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard.
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Carl G

Carl G

Re: MOBO ini file
By the way i am still running Vista RC1 build 5600.

--
Carl G
> Are these Vista drivers or XP drivers? If XP, you probably don't want to
> install them.

> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Hi guys & Gals
>> Vista won't let me install the ini file driver for my motherboard.
>> Is this normal?
>> Do i maybe need new inifile for vista ?
>> All worked great on XP.
>> Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard.
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Carl G

Kerry Brown

Re: MOBO ini file
You only want to try XP drivers as a very last resort. If Vista won't
install with it's built in drivers then first you look for Vista drivers,
then try XP drivers.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

> Hi Richard
> I just built a new pc a bout a month ago.
> All the drivers on my motherboard CD are for XP or earlyer.
> I suppose i should see if Asus has updates hu.
> Or don't Vista require motherboard drivers .
> Thanks
>
> --
> Carl G
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> Are these Vista drivers or XP drivers? If XP, you probably don't want to
>> install them.

>> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Hi guys & Gals
>>> Vista won't let me install the ini file driver for my motherboard.
>>> Is this normal?
>>> Do i maybe need new inifile for vista ?
>>> All worked great on XP.
>>> Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard.
>>> Thanks
>>> --
>>> Carl G

Carl G

Re: MOBO ini file
Hi Kerry
Vista installs and runs ok,but i always thought it a must to install the
motherboard drivers so windows knows what the motherboard is capable of. Am
i wrong with that asumption?
Thanks

--
Carl G
> You only want to try XP drivers as a very last resort. If Vista won't
> install with it's built in drivers then first you look for Vista drivers,
> then try XP drivers.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Hi Richard
>> I just built a new pc a bout a month ago.
>> All the drivers on my motherboard CD are for XP or earlyer.
>> I suppose i should see if Asus has updates hu.
>> Or don't Vista require motherboard drivers .
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Carl G
>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>>> Are these Vista drivers or XP drivers? If XP, you probably don't want
>>> to install them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>>> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
>>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>>> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Kerry Brown

Re: MOBO ini file
You are not wrong but you have to install the drivers for the OS you are
running not a different OS. If there are no Vista drivers for your
motherboard then the next best option is the built in drivers. I would not
even try XP drivers unless the system wasn't functioning.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

> Hi Kerry
> Vista installs and runs ok,but i always thought it a must to install the
> motherboard drivers so windows knows what the motherboard is capable of.
> Am i wrong with that asumption?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Carl G
>> You only want to try XP drivers as a very last resort. If Vista won't
>> install with it's built in drivers then first you look for Vista drivers,
>> then try XP drivers.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Hi Richard
>>> I just built a new pc a bout a month ago.
>>> All the drivers on my motherboard CD are for XP or earlyer.
>>> I suppose i should see if Asus has updates hu.
>>> Or don't Vista require motherboard drivers .
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carl G

Carl G

Re: MOBO ini file
Thanks Kerry
If it isn't broke ,leave it alone moto hu.
I don't see any Vista inifile drivers on Asus site yet.
Thanks

--
Carl G
> You are not wrong but you have to install the drivers for the OS you are
> running not a different OS. If there are no Vista drivers for your
> motherboard then the next best option is the built in drivers. I would not
> even try XP drivers unless the system wasn't functioning.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Hi Kerry
>> Vista installs and runs ok,but i always thought it a must to install the
>> motherboard drivers so windows knows what the motherboard is capable of.
>> Am i wrong with that asumption?
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Carl G
>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
>>> You only want to try XP drivers as a very last resort. If Vista won't
>>> install with it's built in drivers then first you look for Vista
>>> drivers, then try XP drivers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kerry Brown
>>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>>> http://www.vistahelp.ca

JW

Re: MOBO ini file
MS tries to have the latest MOBO drivers from the vendors built into their
RTM releases just like they try to have all of the hardware drivers for
peripherals etc. I have not had to use any drivers from MOBO CDs for my
last two MOBO replacements with either XP or with VISTA.
I do however, routinly check for BIOS updates to my MOBOs and probably get
one or two of them a year. I did need a BIOS update for VISTA this past
summer to support Aero.

> Thanks Kerry
> If it isn't broke ,leave it alone moto hu.
> I don't see any Vista inifile drivers on Asus site yet.
> Thanks
>
> --
> Carl G
>> You are not wrong but you have to install the drivers for the OS you are
>> running not a different OS. If there are no Vista drivers for your
>> motherboard then the next best option is the built in drivers. I would
>> not even try XP drivers unless the system wasn't functioning.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Hi Kerry
>>> Vista installs and runs ok,but i always thought it a must to install the
>>> motherboard drivers so windows knows what the motherboard is capable of.
>>> Am i wrong with that asumption?
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carl G

Ed_

Re: MOBO ini file
FYI....I loaded (clean install) Vista Home Premium (OEM) on a Asus A8N-VM last
night. Vista initially supplied all of the mobo drivers to get it up and
running, including Nvidia video driver for my Geforce 7300GS and sound(high
def.).

On the first Windows Update, Nvidia drivers for memory controller,
hyper-transport bridge.

I then went to Nvidia and downloaded the latest video driver(9746).

This was the most painless install that I have ever done. I was so confident
that all was well that I activated it this morning, with no problems.

Nice job by MS and Nvidia on this one. No SoundMax drivers for the audio, nor
any other Vista drivers on the Asus site that I could find and SM website just
throws you back to Asus.

Hope this helps to ease your mind.

Ed_

In article <ORtlqljQHHA.924@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Carl G says...