Cannot Mirror Desktop in Vista Home Premium

=?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?=

Cannot Mirror Desktop in Vista Home Premium
Installed Vista Home Premium (Upgrade) on an XPPro system (clean install)
with 2 displays. The desktop was extended to the 2nd display automatically
when it setup.

Unplugged 2nd display and uninstalled it in Device Manager. Rebooted -
device not listed in Device Manager. Reconnected 2nd display and it reverted
to the extended desktop.

All the resources that I've read suggest that mirrored desktops are the
default - and that the only way to achieve this is when the device is first
connected.

Any ideas on how to reset the 2nd display to be mirrored? The 2nd display
is a 40" LCD that we use for displaying actions to the customers on the other
side of the counter.

TIA!

- John
=?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?=

RE: Cannot Mirror Desktop in Vista Home Premium
FWIW - we did find a workaround today. The latest nVidia drivers are Vista
certified, and installing the nVidia Control Panel let's you set the option
in there. Still, it's a bit disappointing to have to use another application
when the capability is supposedly built into Vista.

"usasma" wrote:

> Installed Vista Home Premium (Upgrade) on an XPPro system (clean install)
> with 2 displays. The desktop was extended to the 2nd display automatically
> when it setup.
>
> Unplugged 2nd display and uninstalled it in Device Manager. Rebooted -
> device not listed in Device Manager. Reconnected 2nd display and it reverted
> to the extended desktop.
>
> All the resources that I've read suggest that mirrored desktops are the
> default - and that the only way to achieve this is when the device is first
> connected.
>
> Any ideas on how to reset the 2nd display to be mirrored? The 2nd display
> is a 40" LCD that we use for displaying actions to the customers on the other
> side of the counter.
>
> TIA!
>
> - John

Figgerer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot Mirror Desktop in Vista Home Premium
In the Control Panel, on the left side, there is a menu of "Tasks"
One task is "Connect to a projector or other external display"
When you select that, you get a dialogue that lets you chose mirrored or extended desktop.

quote==?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?=;57514]FWIW - we did find a workaround today. The latest nVidia drivers are Vista

"usasma" wrote:

> Installed Vista Home Premium (Upgrade) on an XPPro system (clean install)
> with 2 displays. The desktop was extended to the 2nd display automatically
> when it setup.
>
> Unplugged 2nd display and uninstalled it in Device Manager. Rebooted -
> device not listed in Device Manager. Reconnected 2nd display and it reverted
> to the extended desktop.
>
> All the resources that I've read suggest that mirrored desktops are the
> default - and that the only way to achieve this is when the device is first
> connected.
>
> Any ideas on how to reset the 2nd display to be mirrored? The 2nd display
> is a 40" LCD that we use for displaying actions to the customers on the other
> side of the counter.
>
> TIA!
>
> - John
[/quote]