Re: Intel 915 and Aero

Anthony Marsh

Re: Intel 915 and Aero
Conor wrote:
> In article <C0A4F798-CBC0-4893-A309-30A50E467BA8@microsoft.com>,
> apulaski says...
>> I am using on board Intel 915G graphics. Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor told
>> me that it is Aero capable, however Aero is not running. I of course have
>> downloaded the latest drivers from the Intel website... Anyone have any
>> insight here?
>>

> Aero is running but not Aero Glass which is the one with the
> transparent windows.
>
> Until you get a graphics card that is fully DX9 compliant, you're stuck
> with what you have. No amount of drivers can help you if the hardware
> isn't there.

Your answer seems to imply that all one need do is buy an ATI graphics
card. But I have seen others say that even that will not work.
The problem is Intel refusing to support its motherboard.
JW

Re: Intel 915 and Aero
Here is a good Intel article on the subject of this thread.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-023606.htm

"Anthony Marsh" <anthony_marsh@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:Ha6dncCR6vfPSSXYnZ2dnUVZ_uTinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Conor wrote:
>> In article <C0A4F798-CBC0-4893-A309-30A50E467BA8@microsoft.com>, apulaski
>> says...
>>> I am using on board Intel 915G graphics. Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
>>> told me that it is Aero capable, however Aero is not running. I of
>>> course have downloaded the latest drivers from the Intel website...
>>> Anyone have any insight here?
>>>

>> Aero is running but not Aero Glass which is the one with the transparent
>> windows.
>>
>> Until you get a graphics card that is fully DX9 compliant, you're stuck
>> with what you have. No amount of drivers can help you if the hardware
>> isn't there.
>>

> Your answer seems to imply that all one need do is buy an ATI graphics
> card. But I have seen others say that even that will not work.
> The problem is Intel refusing to support its motherboard.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Intel 915 and Aero
Excellent link! The 915 was probably the most discussed chipset discussed
during TechBeta. I don't know how many threads there were that started out
"Where can I get the Aero driver for my Intel 915 graphics adaptor?" There
must be a ton of them out there.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Excellent link! The 915 was probably the most discussed chipset
> discussed during TechBeta. I don't know how many threads there were
> that started out "Where can I get the Aero driver for my Intel 915
> graphics adaptor?" There must be a ton of them out there.

Intel should be charged with child abandonment. And investigated by the
Justice Department for collusion and restraint of trade.

> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> Here is a good Intel article on the subject of this thread.
>>
>> http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-023606.htm
>>

>> "Anthony Marsh" <anthony_marsh@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:Ha6dncCR6vfPSSXYnZ2dnUVZ_uTinZ2d@comcast.com. ..

>>> Your answer seems to imply that all one need do is buy an ATI
>>> graphics card. But I have seen others say that even that will not work.
>>> The problem is Intel refusing to support its motherboard.

mikey31

Re: Intel 915 and Aero

Per Intel web site these chipsets are not supported for Windows Aero.
They will operate Vista Basic Home only. They are not able structually
to EVER support AERO.

The Windows Vista Uprade utility states no action required under
"Device Details". It also states under "System Details" your current
video card will not support Windows Aero.
Windows Aero requires at least a 128MB video card. That is MINIMAL.
Should use a 256MB.

Upgrading (repalacing) our video cards will be rquired. (If possible-
no information on that yet)

The Intel 915/910 is a PCI Exprees video card.
I have found conflicting information so far if an upgrade is possible.
Can you take the old card out and put an upgrade in or is it Intel
only.

Will update if I find out more.

--
mikey31
mikey31's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21662

http://forums.techarena.in

Brendan

Re: Intel 915 and Aero
Hi Mikey,

My system is using the intel 915 chipset (via an MSI mother board) and I'm
running aero no problem with Vista Ultimate. I also discovered my video card
(Radeon X300SE) which I thought was 128Mb turned out to have "Hyper memory"
and actually only has 32Mb on board and steals the rest from system memory.
I still run aero no problem. I did find that upgrading the main RAM to 2Gb
made an enormous difference.

"mikey31" <mikey31.2lhnrc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Per Intel web site these chipsets are not supported for Windows Aero.
> They will operate Vista Basic Home only. They are not able structually
> to EVER support AERO.
>
> The Windows Vista Uprade utility states no action required under
> "Device Details". It also states under "System Details" your current
> video card will not support Windows Aero.
> Windows Aero requires at least a 128MB video card. That is MINIMAL.
> Should use a 256MB.
>
> Upgrading (repalacing) our video cards will be rquired. (If possible-
> no information on that yet)
>
> The Intel 915/910 is a PCI Exprees video card.
> I have found conflicting information so far if an upgrade is possible.
> Can you take the old card out and put an upgrade in or is it Intel
> only.
>
> Will update if I find out more.
>

> --
> mikey31
> mikey31's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21662
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=536211
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

JW

Re: Intel 915 and Aero
In device manager which actual graphics chip does it indicate is part of
your 915 chipset?

"Brendan" <brendan@feq.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Mikey,
>
> My system is using the intel 915 chipset (via an MSI mother board) and I'm
> running aero no problem with Vista Ultimate. I also discovered my video
> card (Radeon X300SE) which I thought was 128Mb turned out to have "Hyper
> memory" and actually only has 32Mb on board and steals the rest from
> system memory. I still run aero no problem. I did find that upgrading the
> main RAM to 2Gb made an enormous difference.
>
> "mikey31" <mikey31.2lhnrc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Per Intel web site these chipsets are not supported for Windows Aero.
>> They will operate Vista Basic Home only. They are not able structually
>> to EVER support AERO.
>>
>> The Windows Vista Uprade utility states no action required under
>> "Device Details". It also states under "System Details" your current
>> video card will not support Windows Aero.
>> Windows Aero requires at least a 128MB video card. That is MINIMAL.
>> Should use a 256MB.
>>
>> Upgrading (repalacing) our video cards will be rquired. (If possible-
>> no information on that yet)
>>
>> The Intel 915/910 is a PCI Exprees video card.
>> I have found conflicting information so far if an upgrade is possible.
>> Can you take the old card out and put an upgrade in or is it Intel
>> only.
>>
>> Will update if I find out more.
>>

>> --
>> mikey31
>> mikey31's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21662
>> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=536211
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in

mikey31

Re: Intel 915 and Aero

You are using the Radeon card to run your video not the original 915 or
both if that is possible. What I included was info provided by
Microsoft and Intel.
Of course you have to dig for it.
I like keeping up to date on info but I think I'll pass on Vista for
now.
If it is anything like XP it will have more bugs than a termite hill.
I'll probably wait a while give this PC to my nephews and start from
scratch.
Thanks for the info.