Printer Drivers Support 32bit vs. 64bit

Storm Archer

Printer Drivers Support 32bit vs. 64bit
I am looking for a little help on a printer driver. I have a Canon Photo
Printer (CP710). The driver is only available for 32bit operating systems.
Any tips on being able to use a 32bit printer driver on Vista 64?

Thanks!
Storm

Rick Rogers

Re: Printer Drivers Support 32bit vs. 64bit
Hi,

You can't. Not only does it have to be a driver written specifically for
x64, but that driver must be signed to work in Vista. You can't run hardware
drivers in any sort of compatibility mode.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for a little help on a printer driver. I have a Canon Photo
>Printer (CP710). The driver is only available for 32bit operating systems.
>Any tips on being able to use a 32bit printer driver on Vista 64?
>
> Thanks!
> Storm

Storm Archer

Re: Printer Drivers Support 32bit vs. 64bit
That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Storm

--

Storm Archer
swarcher@email.phoenix.edu
> Hi,
>
> You can't. Not only does it have to be a driver written specifically for
> x64, but that driver must be signed to work in Vista. You can't run
> hardware drivers in any sort of compatibility mode.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am looking for a little help on a printer driver. I have a Canon Photo
>>Printer (CP710). The driver is only available for 32bit operating systems.
>>Any tips on being able to use a 32bit printer driver on Vista 64?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Storm

Storm Archer

Re: Printer Drivers Support 32bit vs. 64bit
Hi Rick,

There is one part of your response that confuses me. Is the signing for
Vista required? In the 32-Bit world of Vista, the XP 32-bit drivers work for
the device. This driver is not signed for Vista, but works nonetheless.
Wouldn't this be the case in 64-bit as well?

Thank you for the clarification.
Storm

--

Storm Archer
swarcher@email.phoenix.edu
> Hi,
>
> You can't. Not only does it have to be a driver written specifically for
> x64, but that driver must be signed to work in Vista. You can't run
> hardware drivers in any sort of compatibility mode.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am looking for a little help on a printer driver. I have a Canon Photo
>>Printer (CP710). The driver is only available for 32bit operating systems.
>>Any tips on being able to use a 32bit printer driver on Vista 64?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Storm

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Printer Drivers Support 32bit vs. 64bit
Drivers for Vista x64 must be 64bit signed drivers. No unsigned drivers
allowed. Vista x86 does allow unsigned driver.

> Hi Rick,
>
> There is one part of your response that confuses me. Is the signing for
> Vista required? In the 32-Bit world of Vista, the XP 32-bit drivers work
> for the device. This driver is not signed for Vista, but works
> nonetheless. Wouldn't this be the case in 64-bit as well?
>
> Thank you for the clarification.
> Storm
>
> --
>
> Storm Archer
> swarcher@email.phoenix.edu
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can't. Not only does it have to be a driver written specifically for
>> x64, but that driver must be signed to work in Vista. You can't run
>> hardware drivers in any sort of compatibility mode.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am looking for a little help on a printer driver. I have a Canon Photo
>>>Printer (CP710). The driver is only available for 32bit operating
>>>systems. Any tips on being able to use a 32bit printer driver on Vista
>>>64?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Storm

Storm Archer

Re: Printer Drivers Support 32bit vs. 64bit
Hi Colin,

Thank you. That definitely answers my questions.

Warmest Regards,
Storm

--

Storm Archer
swarcher@email.phoenix.edu
"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> Drivers for Vista x64 must be 64bit signed drivers. No unsigned drivers
> allowed. Vista x86 does allow unsigned driver.
>
> "Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> There is one part of your response that confuses me. Is the signing for
>> Vista required? In the 32-Bit world of Vista, the XP 32-bit drivers work
>> for the device. This driver is not signed for Vista, but works
>> nonetheless. Wouldn't this be the case in 64-bit as well?
>>
>> Thank you for the clarification.
>> Storm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Storm Archer
>> swarcher@email.phoenix.edu
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You can't. Not only does it have to be a driver written specifically for
>>> x64, but that driver must be signed to work in Vista. You can't run
>>> hardware drivers in any sort of compatibility mode.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Printer Drivers Support 32bit vs. 64bit
You're welcome.