USB keys not installed automatically

Alberto Di Meglio

USB keys not installed automatically
Hi,

I have a weird issue on VISTA RTM (Build 6000). Whenever I insert a new
USB key in one of my laptop slots, I get the 'new hardware found' dialog
popping up, thinking a bit, connecting to Windows Update, etc, and then
asking me to insert the disk that came with the hardware. Of course I
have no such disk, however, if I now choose to install the driver
manually and point the dialog to c:\windows then the drivers are found
and installed. I have to do this entire cycle three times for each new
USB key in order to install three different items (the key itself, a
generic volume driver and the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver).
Once a given key is installed once, then it works fine.

Has anybody seen this issue? Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

Alberto

Roy Coorne

Re: USB keys not installed automatically

"Alberto Di Meglio" <alberto.di.meglio@filterout.cern.ch> wrote in
message news:F9EEB469DB1E4883A8499F91AC581D21@shinsenai.ne t...
> I have a weird issue on VISTA RTM (Build 6000). Whenever I insert a
> new
> USB key in one of my laptop slots, I get the 'new hardware found'
> dialog
> popping up, thinking a bit, connecting to Windows Update, etc, and
> then
> asking me to insert the disk that came with the hardware. Of course
> have no such disk, however, if I now choose to install the driver
> manually and point the dialog to c:\windows then the drivers are
> found
> and installed. I have to do this entire cycle three times for each
> new
> USB key in order to install three different items (the key itself, a
> generic volume driver and the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume
> Driver).
> Once a given key is installed once, then it works fine.
>

> Has anybody seen this issue?

No.

> Any suggestion?

Did you check your mainboard BIOS with respect to the USB flash disk?

Rpy

Bruno DUPUY

Re: USB keys not installed automatically
Hi,

SAme problem for me. usb is a hell on my pc. my hubs are not recognized
too...