Which graphics card for Aero?

Phil Chapman

Which graphics card for Aero?
Hi all,

I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC, but the graphics card does not
support Aero. I'm not interested in playing 3D games - all I want is to
watch DVD films and use Media Centre and Aero features. Can anyone suggest
a suitable AGP graphics card?

My computer has 1280MB RAM and an Asus A7A266 motherboard - I purchased it
in 2001.

Thanks

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Which graphics card for Aero?
Look at any new graphics card.. 256mb is good..

"Phil Chapman" <philch1@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC, but the graphics card does not
> support Aero. I'm not interested in playing 3D games - all I want is to
> watch DVD films and use Media Centre and Aero features. Can anyone
> suggest a suitable AGP graphics card?
>
> My computer has 1280MB RAM and an Asus A7A266 motherboard - I purchased it
> in 2001.
>
> Thanks

CJM

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Look at any new graphics card.. 256mb is good..

Yeah, even a 256Mb X1300 or 7300 will be more than enough for Aero
Glass/Dvds

JW

Re: Which graphics card for Aero?
Aero only requires a graphics card with 128MB of memory. My onboard Intel
graphics chip with up to its max of 128MB of memory allocated works fine
with Aero. It did not work when I had onl 64MB allocated.

"CJM" <cjmnews04@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:OHa8V77PHHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Look at any new graphics card.. 256mb is good..
>>

> Yeah, even a 256Mb X1300 or 7300 will be more than enough for Aero
> Glass/Dvds

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Which graphics card for Aero?
128mb is the minimum requirement.. 256mb cuts some slack..

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Aero only requires a graphics card with 128MB of memory. My onboard Intel
> graphics chip with up to its max of 128MB of memory allocated works fine
> with Aero. It did not work when I had onl 64MB allocated.
>
> "CJM" <cjmnews04@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
>> message news:OHa8V77PHHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> Look at any new graphics card.. 256mb is good..
>>>

>> Yeah, even a 256Mb X1300 or 7300 will be more than enough for Aero
>> Glass/Dvds

dirty old man

Re: Which graphics card for Aero?
I have the nVidia 7600GS 256 MB PCI-e card (about $90.00 or less)
I'm not a gamer, but AERO and FLIP 3D work great.
WEI of 4.9 graphics and 4.9 gaming.

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message news:OTkFYX%23PHHA.4484@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
| Aero only requires a graphics card with 128MB of memory. My onboard Intel
| graphics chip with up to its max of 128MB of memory allocated works fine
| with Aero. It did not work when I had onl 64MB allocated.
|
| "CJM" <cjmnews04@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
| >
| > "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
| > message news:OHa8V77PHHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
| >> Look at any new graphics card.. 256mb is good..
| >>

| > Yeah, even a 256Mb X1300 or 7300 will be more than enough for Aero
| > Glass/Dvds

Roy Coorne

dirty old man wrote:
> I have the nVidia 7600GS 256 MB PCI-e card (about $90.00 or less)
> I'm not a gamer, but AERO and FLIP 3D work great.
> WEI of 4.9 graphics and 4.9 gaming.

Even a nVidia 6200 128 MB (not TurboCache!) AGP provides Aero and Flip 3D.

Roy

> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message news:OTkFYX%23PHHA.4484@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> | Aero only requires a graphics card with 128MB of memory. My onboard Intel
> | graphics chip with up to its max of 128MB of memory allocated works fine
> | with Aero. It did not work when I had onl 64MB allocated.
> |
> | "CJM" <cjmnews04@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> | >
> | > "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
> | > message news:OHa8V77PHHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> | >>

> | > Yeah, even a 256Mb X1300 or 7300 will be more than enough for Aero
> | > Glass/Dvds

CJM

"Roy Coorne" <rcoorne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> dirty old man wrote:
>> I have the nVidia 7600GS 256 MB PCI-e card (about $90.00 or less)
>> I'm not a gamer, but AERO and FLIP 3D work great.
>> WEI of 4.9 graphics and 4.9 gaming.

> Even a nVidia 6200 128 MB (not TurboCache!) AGP provides Aero and Flip 3D.
>
> Roy

Yeah, but what Mike & I are saying is that 256Mb gives you a lot more room
for manouevre, yet shouldn't cost you that much. If you have a 6200 then you
might choose to stick with it, but if the OP is buying a new card, it's
worth his while aiming slightly higher...

SAM-R

Re: Which graphics card for Aero?
If you are looking at Nvidia Video Cards, I would hold off to see what
Nvidia is going to support with there drivers. The Vista DVD supports Aero
with the 5000 Series Video Cards and a lot of people bought them because
they were inexpensive. With the release of the 97.46 Drivers, Nvidia dropped
support for Aero in the 5000 Series Cards. Maybe they will drop support for
the 6000 Series as well.
One thing not mentioned is your Power Supply. You need at least a 300W Power
Supply to run a 6000 Series Card.

"Phil Chapman" <philch1@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC, but the graphics card does not
> support Aero. I'm not interested in playing 3D games - all I want is to
> watch DVD films and use Media Centre and Aero features. Can anyone
> suggest a suitable AGP graphics card?
>
> My computer has 1280MB RAM and an Asus A7A266 motherboard - I purchased it
> in 2001.
>
> Thanks

JW

Re: Which graphics card for Aero?
The 97.46 release notes list many capabilities and functions that are
missing in the release and which will return in a future release. I would
not be surprised for 5xxx support to also be in a future release since as
stated it is on the VISTA RTM dvds.