ATI All In Wonder Support - TV Tuner

Storm Archer

ATI All In Wonder Support - TV Tuner
I have a ATI All In Wonder X1900 PCIE cards. The AIW has a built in TV
Tuner. Does anyone know when either the Media Center will support this
device for TV or when ATI will release drivers and software for support?

Thanks!
Storm

Tom Lake

Re: ATI All In Wonder Support - TV Tuner

"Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a ATI All In Wonder X1900 PCIE cards. The AIW has a built in TV
>Tuner. Does anyone know when either the Media Center will support this
>device for TV or when ATI will release drivers and software for support?

No, it won't be supported by MS. ATI could write a driver for it but
it'll be a kludge that sucks up CPU cycles to make up for the lack of
a hardware MPEG capability.

Tom Lake

Storm Archer

Re: ATI All In Wonder Support - TV Tuner
Interesting... Thanks for the perspective. I hate to have that portion of
the hardware sitting idle when I like using it. I have to wait and see.

Thanks Tom!
Storm

--

Storm Archer
swarcher@email.phoenix.edu
"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a ATI All In Wonder X1900 PCIE cards. The AIW has a built in TV
>>Tuner. Does anyone know when either the Media Center will support this
>>device for TV or when ATI will release drivers and software for support?

> No, it won't be supported by MS. ATI could write a driver for it but
> it'll be a kludge that sucks up CPU cycles to make up for the lack of
> a hardware MPEG capability.
>
> Tom Lake

JW

Re: ATI All In Wonder Support - TV Tuner
ATI created AIW tuner software for MCE2004 and MCE2005 and I believe that
they stated last fall that would do so again in Vista for "recently"
released AIW cards. As Tom stated these drivers are CPU hogs and cards
using software encoders will not be approved for the Microsoft designed for
Vista or similiar logo programs.

> Interesting... Thanks for the perspective. I hate to have that portion of
> the hardware sitting idle when I like using it. I have to wait and see.
>
> Thanks Tom!
> Storm
>
> --
>
> Storm Archer
> swarcher@email.phoenix.edu
> "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a ATI All In Wonder X1900 PCIE cards. The AIW has a built in TV
>>>Tuner. Does anyone know when either the Media Center will support this
>>>device for TV or when ATI will release drivers and software for support?

>> No, it won't be supported by MS. ATI could write a driver for it but
>> it'll be a kludge that sucks up CPU cycles to make up for the lack of
>> a hardware MPEG capability.
>>
>> Tom Lake

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=

Re: ATI All In Wonder Support - TV Tuner
I have a ATI 1950XT and a ATI TV Wonder 650 running on Vista Ultimate RTM,
Using ATI drivers for Video Card and Vista loaded drivers for TV Wonder and
it works great under Media Center with Cable, waiting for ATI drivers to get
HD working.

"JW" wrote:

> ATI created AIW tuner software for MCE2004 and MCE2005 and I believe that
> they stated last fall that would do so again in Vista for "recently"
> released AIW cards. As Tom stated these drivers are CPU hogs and cards
> using software encoders will not be approved for the Microsoft designed for
> Vista or similiar logo programs.
>
> "Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Interesting... Thanks for the perspective. I hate to have that portion of
> > the hardware sitting idle when I like using it. I have to wait and see.
> >
> > Thanks Tom!
> > Storm
> >
> > --
> >
> > Storm Archer
> > swarcher@email.phoenix.edu
> > "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Storm Archer" <storm_archer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> No, it won't be supported by MS. ATI could write a driver for it but
> >> it'll be a kludge that sucks up CPU cycles to make up for the lack of
> >> a hardware MPEG capability.
> >>
> >> Tom Lake

JW

Re: ATI All In Wonder Support - TV Tuner
This thread is about tuner drivers for ATI All In Wonder (AIW) cards. I am
not surprised at your experiences with the 1950 and 650 cards.