drive not reading disks in vista

fatreap70

drive not reading disks in vista
A few days ago my drive stopped recognizing disks in my dvd/cd drive. Drive
runs for about 5 seconds then stops like there is no disk in it. Tried to
clean lens but can't get it to work drive won't recognize cleaning disk is in
there and will not run it. Drive is enabled.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: drive not reading disks in vista
Hello,

I don't know if this relates to your issue, but I had a similar problem
where the drive was corrupt. Are you able to boot from it, so that you can
really determine that Vista can't read it?

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"fatreap70" <fatreap70@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>A few days ago my drive stopped recognizing disks in my dvd/cd drive.
>Drive
> runs for about 5 seconds then stops like there is no disk in it. Tried to
> clean lens but can't get it to work drive won't recognize cleaning disk is
> in
> there and will not run it. Drive is enabled.

fatreap70

Re: drive not reading disks in vista
SYSTEM RESTORE! SYTEM RESTORE! SYSTEM RESTORE!!! Worked like a charm (for
now)

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know if this relates to your issue, but I had a similar problem
> where the drive was corrupt. Are you able to boot from it, so that you can
> really determine that Vista can't read it?
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "fatreap70" <fatreap70@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >A few days ago my drive stopped recognizing disks in my dvd/cd drive.
> >Drive
> > runs for about 5 seconds then stops like there is no disk in it. Tried to
> > clean lens but can't get it to work drive won't recognize cleaning disk is
> > in
> > there and will not run it. Drive is enabled.

fatreap70

Re: drive not reading disks in vista, system restore points N/A
Ok back again with the same problem, but now I can't go back to a restore
point far enough to fix the problem. It says restore points are deleted
after space is full. Any ideas? I will keep looking for answer.

"fatreap70" wrote:

> SYSTEM RESTORE! SYTEM RESTORE! SYSTEM RESTORE!!! Worked like a charm (for
> now)
>
> "P. Di Stolfo" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I don't know if this relates to your issue, but I had a similar problem
> > where the drive was corrupt. Are you able to boot from it, so that you can
> > really determine that Vista can't read it?
> >
> > Greetings,
> > P. Di Stolfo
> >
> > --
> > //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> > //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "fatreap70" <fatreap70@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > >A few days ago my drive stopped recognizing disks in my dvd/cd drive.
> > >Drive
> > > runs for about 5 seconds then stops like there is no disk in it. Tried to
> > > clean lens but can't get it to work drive won't recognize cleaning disk is
> > > in
> > > there and will not run it. Drive is enabled.

fatreap70

Re: drive not reading disks in vista, system restore points N/A
Here's an idea. Should I try to reinstall driver for dvd drive? I wanted to
ask before I try it. I looked and don't see how I can recover older restore
points.

"fatreap70" wrote:

> Ok back again with the same problem, but now I can't go back to a restore
> point far enough to fix the problem. It says restore points are deleted
> after space is full. Any ideas? I will keep looking for answer.
>
> "fatreap70" wrote:
>
> > SYSTEM RESTORE! SYTEM RESTORE! SYSTEM RESTORE!!! Worked like a charm (for
> > now)
> >
> > "P. Di Stolfo" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I don't know if this relates to your issue, but I had a similar problem
> > > where the drive was corrupt. Are you able to boot from it, so that you can
> > > really determine that Vista can't read it?
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > > P. Di Stolfo
> > >
> > > --
> > > //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> > > //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

reap70

Re: drive not reading disks in vista, system restore points N/A
THIS WORKS!!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/929461/en-us

Basically here's what it says to do

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit
in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type
your password, or click Continue.
2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned
in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey
before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that
you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data
value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

"fatreap70" wrote:

> Here's an idea. Should I try to reinstall driver for dvd drive? I wanted to
> ask before I try it. I looked and don't see how I can recover older restore
> points.
>
> "fatreap70" wrote:
>
> > Ok back again with the same problem, but now I can't go back to a restore
> > point far enough to fix the problem. It says restore points are deleted
> > after space is full. Any ideas? I will keep looking for answer.
> >
> > "fatreap70" wrote:
> >
> > > SYSTEM RESTORE! SYTEM RESTORE! SYSTEM RESTORE!!! Worked like a charm (for
> > > now)

wackygeek is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: drive not reading disks in vista, system restore points N/A
Well, i think i found the fix....uninstall the USB root hubs and restart the system. Now a-days many manufacturers are using USB interfaces so pulling the USB drivers will take care of the problem. hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by reap70 View Post
THIS WORKS!!!!

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista

"fatreap70" wrote:

> Here's an idea. Should I try to reinstall driver for dvd drive? I wanted to
> ask before I try it. I looked and don't see how I can recover older restore
> points.
>
> "fatreap70" wrote:
>
> > Ok back again with the same problem, but now I can't go back to a restore
> > point far enough to fix the problem. It says restore points are deleted
> > after space is full. Any ideas? I will keep looking for answer.
> >
> > "fatreap70" wrote:
> >
> > > SYSTEM RESTORE! SYTEM RESTORE! SYSTEM RESTORE!!! Worked like a charm (for
> > > now)

Pikachu00778 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: drive not reading disks in vista, system restore points N/A
Ok guys I'm having a simmilar problem, but what happens is that it will read music and cds and anything except for dvds. It would read them before, but it suddenly stopped working about a week ago. I've tried going into the drive to boot from it, but that won't work either. The wierd thing about it though is the fact that only dvds won't run. It would make sence if it wasn't compatible, but I've been running them all the time up until now. Please help!!!

P.S. Please put into terms that a 14 year old boy can understand :P

netguy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[SOLVED] Re: drive not reading disks in vista, system restore points N/A
worked perfectly...thanks pal...