Need to be able to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista

Dorothy

Need to be able to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista
My Vista does not have the advanced tab in device manager/com ports. I need
to know how to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista. If the only
answer is to uninstall devices and reinstall, that's not a fix at all.

Thank you for your time and help.
Michael

Re: Need to be able to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista
Dorthy,

Vista Home premium

start orb
right click computer
properties
device manager
expand Ports (com and lpt)
right click communications port (Com1)
properties
port setting tab
advanced button (no advanced tab involved anywhere)
com port number drop down list (in lower left)
select com2, device manager now shows communications port (Com2)

Michael

"Dorothy" <Dorothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Vista does not have the advanced tab in device manager/com ports. I
> need
> to know how to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista. If the only
> answer is to uninstall devices and reinstall, that's not a fix at all.
>
> Thank you for your time and help.

Dorothy

Re: Need to be able to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista
Thanx for your response, Michael, but I don't have a port setting tab. I am
the only user on this computer, and I have admin privileges, but I wonder if
I am getting admin views.

"Michael" wrote:

> Dorthy,
>
> Vista Home premium
>
> start orb
> right click computer
> properties
> device manager
> expand Ports (com and lpt)
> right click communications port (Com1)
> properties
> port setting tab
> advanced button (no advanced tab involved anywhere)
> com port number drop down list (in lower left)
> select com2, device manager now shows communications port (Com2)
>
> Michael
>

> "Dorothy" <Dorothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Vista does not have the advanced tab in device manager/com ports. I
> > need
> > to know how to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista. If the only
> > answer is to uninstall devices and reinstall, that's not a fix at all.
> >
> > Thank you for your time and help.

Michael

Re: Need to be able to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista
Dorthy,

I did not state, but I get request for permission to continue when I click
on device manager.

Also for reference I have the generic plan jane com port driver from
microsoft as came with Vista.
version 6.0.6000.16386

> Thanx for your response, Michael, but I don't have a port setting tab. I
> am
> the only user on this computer, and I have admin privileges, but I wonder
> if
> I am getting admin views.
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Dorthy,
>>
>> Vista Home premium
>>
>> start orb
>> right click computer
>> properties
>> device manager
>> expand Ports (com and lpt)
>> right click communications port (Com1)
>> properties
>> port setting tab
>> advanced button (no advanced tab involved anywhere)
>> com port number drop down list (in lower left)
>> select com2, device manager now shows communications port (Com2)
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Dorothy" <Dorothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My Vista does not have the advanced tab in device manager/com ports. I
>> > need
>> > to know how to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista. If the
>> > only
>> > answer is to uninstall devices and reinstall, that's not a fix at all.
>> >
>> > Thank you for your time and help.

Dorothy

Re: Need to be able to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista
Okay. I had a blond moment!

Duh me, I was clicking on the Bluetooth com ports, thinking they would have
the same options as the other type com ports. How stupid.

I've been wondering for the longest time why I'm the only one who didn't
have those options when everyone else did seem to have them.

Sorry to have troubled you.

"Michael" wrote:

> Dorthy,
>
> I did not state, but I get request for permission to continue when I click
> on device manager.
>
> Also for reference I have the generic plan jane com port driver from
> microsoft as came with Vista.
> version 6.0.6000.16386
>
> Michael
>
> "Dorothy" <Dorothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanx for your response, Michael, but I don't have a port setting tab. I
> > am
> > the only user on this computer, and I have admin privileges, but I wonder
> > if
> > I am getting admin views.
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Dorthy,
> >>
> >> Vista Home premium
> >>
> >> start orb
> >> right click computer
> >> properties
> >> device manager
> >> expand Ports (com and lpt)
> >> right click communications port (Com1)
> >> properties
> >> port setting tab
> >> advanced button (no advanced tab involved anywhere)
> >> com port number drop down list (in lower left)
> >> select com2, device manager now shows communications port (Com2)
> >>
> >> Michael

Michael

Re: Need to be able to manually reassign com port numbers in Vista
I think I have a permanent imprint from hand slapping forehead in 'duh'
moment.

Have a nice day.