Sata Drives

skyone21

Sata Drives
I recently installed a new Sata DVD Burner into my system and then once I
tried to boot up with it installed it kept giving various blue screen errors.
My friend then told me he had the same problem and that it had something to
do with having more than 4 gigs of Ram. So I took out 2 gigs of Ram and then
tried to boot up windows and I no longer get the blue screen errors but now I
get to my vista background and I can move my mouse around and such but theres
no start menu no icons or anything and ctrl+alt+del doesnt work either. Need
some help with this.
Captain Roberts

Re: Sata Drives

"skyone21" <skyone21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed a new Sata DVD Burner into my system and then once
> tried to boot up with it installed it kept giving various blue screen
> errors.
> My friend then told me he had the same problem and that it had something
> do with having more than 4 gigs of Ram. So I took out 2 gigs of Ram and
> then
> tried to boot up windows and I no longer get the blue screen errors but
> now I
> get to my vista background and I can move my mouse around and such but
> theres
> no start menu no icons or anything and ctrl+alt+del doesnt work either.
> Need
> some help with this.

The symptoms you are describing happen when Windows Vista hasn't been
activated for more than 30 days. So, you may have to do a clean install with
your present RAM configuration.

DaveM

Re: Sata Drives

"skyone21" <skyone21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed a new Sata DVD Burner into my system and then once
> tried to boot up with it installed it kept giving various blue screen
> errors.
> My friend then told me he had the same problem and that it had something
> do with having more than 4 gigs of Ram. So I took out 2 gigs of Ram and
> then
> tried to boot up windows and I no longer get the blue screen errors but
> now I
> get to my vista background and I can move my mouse around and such but
> theres
> no start menu no icons or anything and ctrl+alt+del doesnt work either.
> Need
> some help with this.

I have had this very same problem. When Vista was installed, I already had a
SATA DVD burner and everything worked fine, I then decided to install a SATA
Lightscribe burner from Best Buy (Samsung) and I got BSODs everytime I
booted. I even plugged it into the same port and power connection as the
other burner and I still got the BSODs. I took that one back and went to my
local computer store and purchased a Lite-on SATA Lightscribe burner. When I
installed it - I got the same BSODs. The amount of memory has nothing to do
with it because I only had 2 gigs installed. If someone can figure this out
I would be very happy.

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
2 GB mem
2 8800 GTS video cards in SLI mode
1 Lite-on DVD double layer SATA burner
2 250 GB hard drives - SATA RAID 1
All motherboard drivers are up to date

GrahamU

Re: Re: Sata Drives
I've messed around a lot with RAID and SATA optical drives over the
last 4 weeks or so and this is what I've found on my Abit iC7G (which
has ICH5 RAID and Sil 3112 RAID). The Optical Drive I've been using is
a Lite-On BD B LH-22BS which is a Blu-Ray / CD / DVD combo drive.

On the ICH5 controller
If the controller is in 'Enhanced' mode (presents as IDE 3 & 4 to the
OS) everything works - HDD on port 0 Optical on port 1 - no issues.

If the ICH5 Controller is in RAID mode (but without drives set up in a
RAID array obviously)-
1 or 2 HDDs connected, works as expected
Optical ONLY connected - Works as expected
1xHDD + 1xOptical = BSOD (either way round port wise)

This particular Optical drive allows booting if on the Sil3112 with or
without an HDD on the other port BUT won't burn at all and can only
read small (<1MB) files - I conclude this drive is incompatible with
the Sil3112

Originally I had the ICH5 in RAID mode and had to move to enhanced
(IDE mode) in order to get things working BUT the OS (Win XP Pro)
required a repair install to make this change as it was impossible to
uninstall the RAID driver (iastor.sys) and replace with IDE without
this (gave BSOD).

I am now running in 'Enhanced' (IDE simulation) mode on the ICH5 with
a 500GB WD drive on port 0 and the Lite-on optical on port 1 and
everything is fine.

Conclusion
If you want to use both ports on the RAID controller with one linked
to an optical drive you must run the controller in enhanced/IDE mode
not RAID mode.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:28:21 -0500, "DaveM" <dmaria99@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"skyone21" <skyone21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I recently installed a new Sata DVD Burner into my system and then once
>> tried to boot up with it installed it kept giving various blue screen
>> errors.
>> My friend then told me he had the same problem and that it had something
>> do with having more than 4 gigs of Ram. So I took out 2 gigs of Ram and
>> then
>> tried to boot up windows and I no longer get the blue screen errors but
>> now I
>> get to my vista background and I can move my mouse around and such but
>> theres
>> no start menu no icons or anything and ctrl+alt+del doesnt work either.
>> Need
>> some help with this.

>I have had this very same problem. When Vista was installed, I already had a
>SATA DVD burner and everything worked fine, I then decided to install a SATA
>Lightscribe burner from Best Buy (Samsung) and I got BSODs everytime I
>booted. I even plugged it into the same port and power connection as the
>other burner and I still got the BSODs. I took that one back and went to my
>local computer store and purchased a Lite-on SATA Lightscribe burner. When I
>installed it - I got the same BSODs. The amount of memory has nothing to do
>with it because I only had 2 gigs installed. If someone can figure this out
>I would be very happy.
>
>Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
>2 GB mem
>2 8800 GTS video cards in SLI mode
>1 Lite-on DVD double layer SATA burner
>2 250 GB hard drives - SATA RAID 1
>All motherboard drivers are up to date

skyone21

Re: Sata Drives

I figured out the problem theres a patch from microsoft that my friend found
that fixes this problem I simply took 2 gigs of the ram out leaving me with
only 2 gigs then I installed the new sata cd drive and then I booted windows
and installed the patch. I then placed my 2 gigs of ram back into my system
and everything works fine now. It seems that theres some glitch with Vista
and Sata cd drives and having more than 2 gigs of Ram.
"DaveM" wrote:

> "skyone21" <skyone21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently installed a new Sata DVD Burner into my system and then once
> > tried to boot up with it installed it kept giving various blue screen
> > errors.
> > My friend then told me he had the same problem and that it had something
> > do with having more than 4 gigs of Ram. So I took out 2 gigs of Ram and
> > then
> > tried to boot up windows and I no longer get the blue screen errors but
> > now I
> > get to my vista background and I can move my mouse around and such but
> > theres
> > no start menu no icons or anything and ctrl+alt+del doesnt work either.
> > Need
> > some help with this.

> I have had this very same problem. When Vista was installed, I already had a
> SATA DVD burner and everything worked fine, I then decided to install a SATA
> Lightscribe burner from Best Buy (Samsung) and I got BSODs everytime I
> booted. I even plugged it into the same port and power connection as the
> other burner and I still got the BSODs. I took that one back and went to my
> local computer store and purchased a Lite-on SATA Lightscribe burner. When I
> installed it - I got the same BSODs. The amount of memory has nothing to do
> with it because I only had 2 gigs installed. If someone can figure this out
> I would be very happy.
>
> Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
> 2 GB mem
> 2 8800 GTS video cards in SLI mode
> 1 Lite-on DVD double layer SATA burner
> 2 250 GB hard drives - SATA RAID 1
> All motherboard drivers are up to date

skyone21

Re: Sata Drives

You might want to install the patch before you install the drive as you only
have 2 gigs of ram and it was still giving you BSOD's I would post the link
for the patch but my friend just transferred it to me through xfire. It do
believe it said it was from microsoft so you should be able to find it pretty
easily if not I will try to get the link for it and post it here.

"skyone21" wrote:

> I figured out the problem theres a patch from microsoft that my friend found
> that fixes this problem I simply took 2 gigs of the ram out leaving me with
> only 2 gigs then I installed the new sata cd drive and then I booted windows
> and installed the patch. I then placed my 2 gigs of ram back into my system
> and everything works fine now. It seems that theres some glitch with Vista
> and Sata cd drives and having more than 2 gigs of Ram.
> "DaveM" wrote:
>

> > "skyone21" <skyone21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I recently installed a new Sata DVD Burner into my system and then once
> > > tried to boot up with it installed it kept giving various blue screen
> > > errors.
> > > My friend then told me he had the same problem and that it had something
> > > do with having more than 4 gigs of Ram. So I took out 2 gigs of Ram and
> > > then
> > > tried to boot up windows and I no longer get the blue screen errors but
> > > now I
> > > get to my vista background and I can move my mouse around and such but
> > > theres
> > > no start menu no icons or anything and ctrl+alt+del doesnt work either.
> > > Need
> > > some help with this.

> > I have had this very same problem. When Vista was installed, I already had a
> > SATA DVD burner and everything worked fine, I then decided to install a SATA
> > Lightscribe burner from Best Buy (Samsung) and I got BSODs everytime I
> > booted. I even plugged it into the same port and power connection as the
> > other burner and I still got the BSODs. I took that one back and went to my
> > local computer store and purchased a Lite-on SATA Lightscribe burner. When I
> > installed it - I got the same BSODs. The amount of memory has nothing to do
> > with it because I only had 2 gigs installed. If someone can figure this out
> > I would be very happy.
> >
> > Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
> > 2 GB mem
> > 2 8800 GTS video cards in SLI mode