Vista Speedset support

B Flow

Vista Speedset support
Since moving a variety of Intel SpeedStep enabled PCs from XP to Vista, it
~appears~ that SpeedStep is not working in that System Properties ALLWAYS
shows the rated and current speed as the same (unlike under XP where it would
show the delta when system is idle).

Under Power Management I've tried changing the Processor Power State Min
from the 5% default to 0%, 10%, etc with no change. Tried Intel's CPU ID
utility and it always shows the posted and "current" speed as the max for the
given CPU.

Is Speedstep working at all, and if so, why is the lower speed not being
reported when system is idle?
freddy

RE: Vista Speedset support
B Flow,

SpeedStep technology requires using more than just the operating system.
You also need a compliant BIOS and chipset and chipset drivers. Since I
don't know whether your system includes those, and possibly other, compliant
components, I can only suggest you determine whether your system is fully
SpeedStep enabled. The utility ZPU-Z (free download) is also useful for
seeing what your system is doing. Just some thoughts, as others may have
additional information.
--
freddy

"B Flow" wrote:

> Since moving a variety of Intel SpeedStep enabled PCs from XP to Vista, it
> ~appears~ that SpeedStep is not working in that System Properties ALLWAYS
> shows the rated and current speed as the same (unlike under XP where it would
> show the delta when system is idle).
>
> Under Power Management I've tried changing the Processor Power State Min
> from the 5% default to 0%, 10%, etc with no change. Tried Intel's CPU ID
> utility and it always shows the posted and "current" speed as the max for the
> given CPU.
>
> Is Speedstep working at all, and if so, why is the lower speed not being
> reported when system is idle?

B Flow

RE: Vista Speedset support
Freddy,

As I mentioned in my post, all the systems in question fully support the
feature at the hardware level, confirmed by the fact that it functioned under
Windows XP. The question is, why does it not appear to be functioning on
these same systems under Vista.
kricker

Re: Vista Speedset support

I am currently having this issue with my ASUS NCT-D motherboard.
Everything is properly set in the BIOS and it works fine under xp and
XPx64. Under Vistax64 the CPUs always run fullspeed. Has anyone figured
out how to fix this?

--
kricker