Another Vista and Mouse problem

GWL

Another Vista and Mouse problem
I have read all the threads I can find about mouse problems and found nothing
that would help. My problem is that using any USB keyboard and any PS/2 mouse
combo leaves the mouse unrecognized in Vista Ultimate. Any other combination
works. USB Keyboard+USB Mouse, PS/2 Keyboard+USB or PS/2 mouse all work, but
any USB Keyboard and PS/2 mouse combination fails to recognize the mouse. I
have tried every BIOS option and have the latest bios. I have tried a wired
mouse and Microsoft Wireless Intelimouse Explorer 2 along with Three
different USB keyboards, Saitek, Microsoft and Logitech. The wireless mouse
gives one clue, after the Windows boot screen with the rolling bar, the
wireless mouse sender lights up as Windows engages all the devices. If there
is a USB Keyboard plugged in, the mouse sender never lights up and remains
dead. A Vista Guru is needed as I am out of ideas. I would like to use the
PS/2 port for the mouse to free up a USB port.
freddy

RE: Another Vista and Mouse problem
GWL,

I don't know why your system has the problem you indicate, but if all you
want to do is free up a USB port, use one of your own solutions, quote: Any
other combination works. (USB Keyboard+USB Mouse-not this combo), PS/2
Keyboard+USB or PS/2 mouse all work. Another solution is to use a USB hub so
that you have even more USB ports than you now have.
--
freddy

"GWL" wrote:

> I have read all the threads I can find about mouse problems and found nothing
> that would help. My problem is that using any USB keyboard and any PS/2 mouse
> combo leaves the mouse unrecognized in Vista Ultimate. Any other combination
> works. USB Keyboard+USB Mouse, PS/2 Keyboard+USB or PS/2 mouse all work, but
> any USB Keyboard and PS/2 mouse combination fails to recognize the mouse. I
> have tried every BIOS option and have the latest bios. I have tried a wired
> mouse and Microsoft Wireless Intelimouse Explorer 2 along with Three
> different USB keyboards, Saitek, Microsoft and Logitech. The wireless mouse
> gives one clue, after the Windows boot screen with the rolling bar, the
> wireless mouse sender lights up as Windows engages all the devices. If there
> is a USB Keyboard plugged in, the mouse sender never lights up and remains
> dead. A Vista Guru is needed as I am out of ideas. I would like to use the
> PS/2 port for the mouse to free up a USB port.

GWL

RE: Another Vista and Mouse problem
Thanks Freddy. I would rather not give up my expensive USB keyboard and I am
aware of the use of hubs. It is just a challenge that I would like to
solve.:-) My uneducated guess is that it has something to do with the way
Vista loads the peripherals that locks out the PS/2 mouse if a USB keyboard
is recognized first. Unfortunately I am not technically informed enough to
know how to correct the conflict.

"freddy" wrote:

> GWL,
>
> I don't know why your system has the problem you indicate, but if all you
> want to do is free up a USB port, use one of your own solutions, quote: Any
> other combination works. (USB Keyboard+USB Mouse-not this combo), PS/2
> Keyboard+USB or PS/2 mouse all work. Another solution is to use a USB hub so
> that you have even more USB ports than you now have.
> --
> freddy
>

> "GWL" wrote:
>
> > I have read all the threads I can find about mouse problems and found nothing
> > that would help. My problem is that using any USB keyboard and any PS/2 mouse
> > combo leaves the mouse unrecognized in Vista Ultimate. Any other combination
> > works. USB Keyboard+USB Mouse, PS/2 Keyboard+USB or PS/2 mouse all work, but
> > any USB Keyboard and PS/2 mouse combination fails to recognize the mouse. I
> > have tried every BIOS option and have the latest bios. I have tried a wired
> > mouse and Microsoft Wireless Intelimouse Explorer 2 along with Three
> > different USB keyboards, Saitek, Microsoft and Logitech. The wireless mouse
> > gives one clue, after the Windows boot screen with the rolling bar, the
> > wireless mouse sender lights up as Windows engages all the devices. If there
> > is a USB Keyboard plugged in, the mouse sender never lights up and remains
> > dead. A Vista Guru is needed as I am out of ideas. I would like to use the
> > PS/2 port for the mouse to free up a USB port.

freddy

RE: Another Vista and Mouse problem
GWL,

Have you tried using a USB to PS/2 adapter for the keyboard? This keeps the
expensive keyboard and also provides a combination that you say works, but
you likely already thought of this approach.
--
freddy

"GWL" wrote:

> Thanks Freddy. I would rather not give up my expensive USB keyboard and I am
> aware of the use of hubs. It is just a challenge that I would like to
> solve.:-) My uneducated guess is that it has something to do with the way
> Vista loads the peripherals that locks out the PS/2 mouse if a USB keyboard
> is recognized first. Unfortunately I am not technically informed enough to
> know how to correct the conflict.
>
> "freddy" wrote:
>
> > GWL,
> >
> > I don't know why your system has the problem you indicate, but if all you
> > want to do is free up a USB port, use one of your own solutions, quote: Any
> > other combination works. (USB Keyboard+USB Mouse-not this combo), PS/2
> > Keyboard+USB or PS/2 mouse all work. Another solution is to use a USB hub so
> > that you have even more USB ports than you now have.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "GWL" wrote:
> >
> > > I have read all the threads I can find about mouse problems and found nothing
> > > that would help. My problem is that using any USB keyboard and any PS/2 mouse
> > > combo leaves the mouse unrecognized in Vista Ultimate. Any other combination
> > > works. USB Keyboard+USB Mouse, PS/2 Keyboard+USB or PS/2 mouse all work, but
> > > any USB Keyboard and PS/2 mouse combination fails to recognize the mouse. I
> > > have tried every BIOS option and have the latest bios. I have tried a wired
> > > mouse and Microsoft Wireless Intelimouse Explorer 2 along with Three
> > > different USB keyboards, Saitek, Microsoft and Logitech. The wireless mouse
> > > gives one clue, after the Windows boot screen with the rolling bar, the
> > > wireless mouse sender lights up as Windows engages all the devices. If there
> > > is a USB Keyboard plugged in, the mouse sender never lights up and remains
> > > dead. A Vista Guru is needed as I am out of ideas. I would like to use the
> > > PS/2 port for the mouse to free up a USB port.

Don

GWL wrote:
> ...My uneducated guess is that it has something to do with the way
> Vista loads the peripherals that locks out the PS/2 mouse if a USB keyboard
> is recognized first. Unfortunately I am not technically informed enough to
> know how to correct the conflict.

Me either, but I can think of some diagnostic things to try. Vista has
an option to turn on verbose boot logging (F8 IIRC). Also there are a
zillion log files which are available thru Event Viewer, and there may
be a helpful error or warning buried in there somewhere. A working
knowledge of Event Viewer is very valuable, so it's worth your time
to poke around in there in any case.

GWL

"Don" wrote:

> GWL wrote:
> > ...My uneducated guess is that it has something to do with the way
> > Vista loads the peripherals that locks out the PS/2 mouse if a USB keyboard
> > is recognized first. Unfortunately I am not technically informed enough to
> > know how to correct the conflict.

> Me either, but I can think of some diagnostic things to try. Vista has
> an option to turn on verbose boot logging (F8 IIRC). Also there are a
> zillion log files which are available thru Event Viewer, and there may
> be a helpful error or warning buried in there somewhere. A working
> knowledge of Event Viewer is very valuable, so it's worth your time
> to poke around in there in any case.

Yep, I have been trying to figure out exactly what one boot error I get on
every boot is. It is Event ID 100 and Microsoft has this answer when I click
the More Information Link at the bottom of the Event viewer. "No results were
found for your query. Please see Search Help for suggestions". I will keep
plugging away and find the answer to the mouse problem eventually. I was just
hoping that a Vista expert would be able to short circuit the process.:-)