PVR 150 not detected by Media Center

Jo

PVR 150 not detected by Media Center
I have a difficult problem. I just installed a PVR 150 tv tuner from
Hauppauge that is compatible with Vista and Media Center, but my media center
is not detecting it for some reason. Keeps saying "no tv tuner installed".
It IS installed and working (with the WinTV app) and has the latest drivers.
I also installed a new Vista os on an extra partition I had just to test the
tuner and on that new Vista install, it works correctly and is recognized by
Media Center, so I know it is not the tuner. However, I do not relish
reinstalling my main os and having to reinstall all my apps. Could anyone
give me any help in discovering what the problem might be? Thanks!!! (I
have emailed Hauppauge, but so far have no response.)
Cal Bear '66

Re: PVR 150 not detected by Media Center
I would try once more to DELETE (using the hswclear.exe application) and
reinstalling the Hauppauge drivers and software.

Try these (3.4b) from the UK site (works great in the US):

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/sup...w_xpvista.html

Be sure for follow the well written and illustrated instructions EXACTLY.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7B65FD4-0356-4215-91D0-59566DDAD97E@microsoft.com...
>I have a difficult problem. I just installed a PVR 150 tv tuner from
> Hauppauge that is compatible with Vista and Media Center, but my media center
> is not detecting it for some reason. Keeps saying "no tv tuner installed".
> It IS installed and working (with the WinTV app) and has the latest drivers.
> I also installed a new Vista os on an extra partition I had just to test the
> tuner and on that new Vista install, it works correctly and is recognized by
> Media Center, so I know it is not the tuner. However, I do not relish
> reinstalling my main os and having to reinstall all my apps. Could anyone
> give me any help in discovering what the problem might be? Thanks!!! (I
> have emailed Hauppauge, but so far have no response.)

Jo

Re: PVR 150 not detected by Media Center
Thanks for the reply. I have tried MANY times using the hswclear and then
reinstalling the tuner. I also tried the 3.4b drivers and software. Nothing
works! The tuner will install in a new Vista install. I guess I just have
to start over! I was hoping someone had found a conflict or registry entry
that might fix this.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> I would try once more to DELETE (using the hswclear.exe application) and
> reinstalling the Hauppauge drivers and software.
>
> Try these (3.4b) from the UK site (works great in the US):
>
> http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/sup...w_xpvista.html
>
> Be sure for follow the well written and illustrated instructions EXACTLY.
>

> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news7B65FD4-0356-4215-91D0-59566DDAD97E@microsoft.com...
> >I have a difficult problem. I just installed a PVR 150 tv tuner from
> > Hauppauge that is compatible with Vista and Media Center, but my media center
> > is not detecting it for some reason. Keeps saying "no tv tuner installed".
> > It IS installed and working (with the WinTV app) and has the latest drivers.
> > I also installed a new Vista os on an extra partition I had just to test the
> > tuner and on that new Vista install, it works correctly and is recognized by
> > Media Center, so I know it is not the tuner. However, I do not relish
> > reinstalling my main os and having to reinstall all my apps. Could anyone
> > give me any help in discovering what the problem might be? Thanks!!! (I
> > have emailed Hauppauge, but so far have no response.)

JW

Re: PVR 150 not detected by Media Center
Have you tried going to device manager, uninstalling the tuner, shutting
down, removing the card, rebooting, shutting down again and putting the
tuner card back in and booting normally?

> Thanks for the reply. I have tried MANY times using the hswclear and then
> reinstalling the tuner. I also tried the 3.4b drivers and software.
> Nothing
> works! The tuner will install in a new Vista install. I guess I just
> have
> to start over! I was hoping someone had found a conflict or registry
> entry
> that might fix this.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> I would try once more to DELETE (using the hswclear.exe application) and
>> reinstalling the Hauppauge drivers and software.
>>
>> Try these (3.4b) from the UK site (works great in the US):
>>
>> http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/sup...w_xpvista.html
>>
>> Be sure for follow the well written and illustrated instructions EXACTLY.
>>

>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news7B65FD4-0356-4215-91D0-59566DDAD97E@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a difficult problem. I just installed a PVR 150 tv tuner from
>> > Hauppauge that is compatible with Vista and Media Center, but my media
>> > center
>> > is not detecting it for some reason. Keeps saying "no tv tuner
>> > installed".
>> > It IS installed and working (with the WinTV app) and has the latest
>> > drivers.
>> > I also installed a new Vista os on an extra partition I had just to
>> > test the
>> > tuner and on that new Vista install, it works correctly and is
>> > recognized by
>> > Media Center, so I know it is not the tuner. However, I do not relish
>> > reinstalling my main os and having to reinstall all my apps. Could
>> > anyone
>> > give me any help in discovering what the problem might be? Thanks!!!
>> > (I
>> > have emailed Hauppauge, but so far have no response.)

Jo

Re: PVR 150 not detected by Media Center
No, but maybe I'll try that before the complete format and reinstall.

"JW" wrote:

> Have you tried going to device manager, uninstalling the tuner, shutting
> down, removing the card, rebooting, shutting down again and putting the
> tuner card back in and booting normally?
>
> "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply. I have tried MANY times using the hswclear and then
> > reinstalling the tuner. I also tried the 3.4b drivers and software.
> > Nothing
> > works! The tuner will install in a new Vista install. I guess I just
> > have
> > to start over! I was hoping someone had found a conflict or registry
> > entry
> > that might fix this.
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> I would try once more to DELETE (using the hswclear.exe application) and
> >> reinstalling the Hauppauge drivers and software.
> >>
> >> Try these (3.4b) from the UK site (works great in the US):
> >>
> >> http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/sup...w_xpvista.html
> >>
> >> Be sure for follow the well written and illustrated instructions EXACTLY.
> >>

> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!
> >>

> >> "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news7B65FD4-0356-4215-91D0-59566DDAD97E@microsoft.com...

Jo

Re: PVR 150 not detected by Media Center
I found the problem!!! Something either you or another responder said made
me think about checking the error logs. I noticed an error starting one of
the services that might have to do with discovering plugnplay adapters was
not starting. I then checked all my services and found several pertaining to
Media Center were disabled, including the TV service and the SSDP Discovery
Service mentioned earlier. I enabled both of them and voila! The tv tuner
was discovered! I don't know how or when those became disabled, but in case
someone else is having this problem, I wanted to let them know this could be
the problem.