Miscrosoft Keyboard "F Lock"

BillK62

Miscrosoft Keyboard "F Lock"
I frequently use the functions keys, but my MS keyboard now comes with a
silly "F-Lock" key.

(1) I'd like for this to always be on, and for it to boot up with the
"F-Lock" enabled. Is there a way to do this?

(2) The "F-Lock" key appears to be anything but a "Lock". When I switch to a
new program, the "F Lock" appears to become "unlocked". (And sometimes once I
use a function key, it also seems to become unlocked again.) And there is no
indication as to whether the lock is on. Is there a fix for this? Or some
helpful suggestion for a user who has suddenly found that 13 keys on his
keyboard are suddenly useless because he never knows what they're going to do
when he presses them?

Thanks. (And I'm sorry that some of my annoyance with this feature has
slipped through.)
BillK62

RE: Miscrosoft Keyboard "F Lock"
I called MS Technical support and discovered that with my "Microsoft Wireless
Optical Desktop Pro" system, which includes the "Microsoft Wireless Natural
Multimedia Keyboard", when using Windows Vista (with the lastest verison of
the keyboard drivers), that the F-Lock status--contrary to the settings
provided--never shows up on the screen!

There is a light on the wireless receiver, however, that indicates the
F-Lock status. (This I didn't know.)

I was also told by the tech support person that the status of the F Lock
should remain unchanged when the computer is rebooted. This feature also
doesn't work. Whenever Windows Vista re-starts, the F Lock is off.

Just FYI, should anyone else experience this problem.

Hopefully someday Microsoft will correct these problems....

"BillK62" wrote:

> I frequently use the functions keys, but my MS keyboard now comes with a
> silly "F-Lock" key.
>
> (1) I'd like for this to always be on, and for it to boot up with the
> "F-Lock" enabled. Is there a way to do this?
>
> (2) The "F-Lock" key appears to be anything but a "Lock". When I switch to a
> new program, the "F Lock" appears to become "unlocked". (And sometimes once I
> use a function key, it also seems to become unlocked again.) And there is no
> indication as to whether the lock is on. Is there a fix for this? Or some
> helpful suggestion for a user who has suddenly found that 13 keys on his
> keyboard are suddenly useless because he never knows what they're going to do
> when he presses them?
>
> Thanks. (And I'm sorry that some of my annoyance with this feature has
> slipped through.)

Charles W Davis

Re: Miscrosoft Keyboard "F Lock"
And it makes for some quick clicking to start up in safe mode using F8 which
isn't activated until the F lock is on.
"BillK62" <BillK62@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I called MS Technical support and discovered that with my "Microsoft
>Wireless
> Optical Desktop Pro" system, which includes the "Microsoft Wireless
> Natural
> Multimedia Keyboard", when using Windows Vista (with the lastest verison
> of
> the keyboard drivers), that the F-Lock status--contrary to the settings
> provided--never shows up on the screen!
>
> There is a light on the wireless receiver, however, that indicates the
> F-Lock status. (This I didn't know.)
>
> I was also told by the tech support person that the status of the F Lock
> should remain unchanged when the computer is rebooted. This feature also
> doesn't work. Whenever Windows Vista re-starts, the F Lock is off.
>
> Just FYI, should anyone else experience this problem.
>
> Hopefully someday Microsoft will correct these problems....
>

> "BillK62" wrote:
>
>> I frequently use the functions keys, but my MS keyboard now comes with a
>> silly "F-Lock" key.
>>
>> (1) I'd like for this to always be on, and for it to boot up with the
>> "F-Lock" enabled. Is there a way to do this?
>>
>> (2) The "F-Lock" key appears to be anything but a "Lock". When I switch
>> to a
>> new program, the "F Lock" appears to become "unlocked". (And sometimes
>> once I
>> use a function key, it also seems to become unlocked again.) And there is
>> no
>> indication as to whether the lock is on. Is there a fix for this? Or some
>> helpful suggestion for a user who has suddenly found that 13 keys on his
>> keyboard are suddenly useless because he never knows what they're going
>> to do
>> when he presses them?
>>
>> Thanks. (And I'm sorry that some of my annoyance with this feature has
>> slipped through.)

BillK62

Re: Miscrosoft Keyboard "F Lock"
> And it makes for some quick clicking to start up in safe mode using F8 which
> isn't activated until the F lock is on.

Ugh. I hadn't thought of that. I suspect pressing "F2" to enter Dell's
startup settings will be even trickier.

Wonderful. (I hope Microsoft is listening.)
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Miscrosoft Keyboard "F Lock"
I have driver version 6.10.155.0, and the F lock does show on screen, lower
right, for maybe 3 secs then fades out..

Re the F key status, you can change the function of the F keys to
essentially do nothing, in which case they remain at system default when the
machine is booted..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

=\(8\)

Re: Miscrosoft Keyboard "F Lock"
Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft intelligence. I guess they felt
the open, save and other crap options would be used more than the function
keys. WRONG!!!! This is why I won't buy a Microsoft keyboard that has this
lame ass function.

=(8)