Vista doesn't see my third hard drive

Redman UK

Vista doesn't see my third hard drive
I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium and two non-RAID HDD working
beautifully. I have installed my back-up HDD from my previous PC to copy
over a large amount of data to the new drives but Vista won't let me.

The BIOS sees the 3rd drive as does Device Manager, but it won't show up in
My Computer. Disk Management shows it as online, active and healthy but
shaded out. Right clicking only gives the option of deleting the volume...

The drive is formatted, partitioned and full of important data.

Any help is hugely appreciated! Thank you.

Redman UK

RE: Vista doesn't see my third hard drive
A couple of clarifications:

The drive isn't shaded out - it's just because I'd selected it... oops!
most embarrassed!

My system:
ASUS P5N-E Sli
Core2Duo E6600
2x WD 400Gb drives, non-RAID
1x Maxtor 120GB drive (the one from the old PC)
4Gb RAM

Incidentally, all three HDDs are described as SCSI disk devices in Device
Manager; is that normal? They're SATA drives.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

"Redman UK" wrote:

> I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium and two non-RAID HDD working
> beautifully. I have installed my back-up HDD from my previous PC to copy
> over a large amount of data to the new drives but Vista won't let me.
>
> The BIOS sees the 3rd drive as does Device Manager, but it won't show up in
> My Computer. Disk Management shows it as online, active and healthy but
> shaded out. Right clicking only gives the option of deleting the volume...
>
> The drive is formatted, partitioned and full of important data.
>
> Any help is hugely appreciated! Thank you.

Don

Redman UK wrote:
> I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium and two non-RAID HDD working
> beautifully. I have installed my back-up HDD from my previous PC to copy
> over a large amount of data to the new drives but Vista won't let me.
>
> The BIOS sees the 3rd drive as does Device Manager, but it won't show up in
> My Computer. Disk Management shows it as online, active and healthy but
> shaded out. Right clicking only gives the option of deleting the volume...

My guess is that you need to assign a letter to that drive in Disk
Manager. I'm not at a Vista machine now, but I believe you do that
from one of the menus at the top of DM window.

Redman UK

Re: Vista doesn't see my third hard drive
Hi, thanks for the reply.

There doesn't seem to be an option of assigning a drive letter. Under All
Tasks everything is shaded out except for 'delete volume'. The Disk is has
three or four partitions on it, so there should be a number of drive letters
shouldn't there?

Thanks,
Michael

"Don" wrote:

> Redman UK wrote:
> > I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium and two non-RAID HDD working
> > beautifully. I have installed my back-up HDD from my previous PC to copy
> > over a large amount of data to the new drives but Vista won't let me.
> >
> > The BIOS sees the 3rd drive as does Device Manager, but it won't show up in
> > My Computer. Disk Management shows it as online, active and healthy but
> > shaded out. Right clicking only gives the option of deleting the volume...

> My guess is that you need to assign a letter to that drive in Disk
> Manager. I'm not at a Vista machine now, but I believe you do that
> from one of the menus at the top of DM window.

Alec

Re: Vista doesn't see my third hard drive
Had a similar problem myself;
in disk manager, right click on the grey square that says "disk2",
and put the disk "online".
hope this helps.
Alec.

--