eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

klothex

eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
I have a Vantec eSATA external enclosure, however I am only able to enable it
through the USB connection, does anyone have a solution as to how to get
Vista Home Premuim 64 Bit to function via the eSATA method? Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Richard Urban

Re: eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
I can't assist you but I have a question.

Why go through the trouble/expense of getting an eSATA drive and an eSATA
enclosure and then crippling the input/output by running through a USB port?

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"klothex" <klothex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vantec eSATA external enclosure, however I am only able to enable
>it
> through the USB connection, does anyone have a solution as to how to get
> Vista Home Premuim 64 Bit to function via the eSATA method? Any help would
> be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks!

peter

Re: eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
If we assume that you have the SATA drivers installed for your mobo and
activated all of the SATA connections in the BIOS then you should try
plugging the device in and turning it on before you start your system.Vista
at that point should pick it up like any other HD.
peter
"klothex" <klothex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vantec eSATA external enclosure, however I am only able to enable
>it
> through the USB connection, does anyone have a solution as to how to get
> Vista Home Premuim 64 Bit to function via the eSATA method? Any help would
> be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks!

klothex

Re: eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Thanks Peter, yes I have everything running for SATA on the mobo, the eSATA
port on the I/O shield is always active, according to the BIOS. I have tried
turning on the enclosure before powering on the PC, the HD spins up and is
ready, however once I finish the boot sequence, Vista still does not detect
the drive. It does not appear in the MMC (management console) either. Thus I
ended up having to resort to the USB for now, have you heard of this
happening elsewhere? The mobo I have is an Asus P5Ne-SLI. Thanks in advance
if you have a suggestion.

"peter" wrote:

> If we assume that you have the SATA drivers installed for your mobo and
> activated all of the SATA connections in the BIOS then you should try
> plugging the device in and turning it on before you start your system.Vista
> at that point should pick it up like any other HD.
> peter
> "klothex" <klothex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Vantec eSATA external enclosure, however I am only able to enable
> >it
> > through the USB connection, does anyone have a solution as to how to get
> > Vista Home Premuim 64 Bit to function via the eSATA method? Any help would
> > be
> > greatly appreciated. Thanks!

klothex

Re: eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
I have used eSATA on XP without a problem, I even checked the WHQL and it
approves my enclosure and hard drive to be Vista compliant. The HD is a
Seagate SATA II 500GB. Based on those results, I thought something as
commonplace as SATA and now eSATA would be fully supported by Vista. I have
also read some threads that other users are running eSATA sucessfully. There
are no Vista drivers from either Vantec or Seagate for this config. Thanks in
advance for your help.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> I can't assist you but I have a question.
>
> Why go through the trouble/expense of getting an eSATA drive and an eSATA
> enclosure and then crippling the input/output by running through a USB port?
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "klothex" <klothex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Vantec eSATA external enclosure, however I am only able to enable
> >it
> > through the USB connection, does anyone have a solution as to how to get
> > Vista Home Premuim 64 Bit to function via the eSATA method? Any help would
> > be
> > greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anna

> Thanks Peter, yes I have everything running for SATA on the mobo, the
> eSATA
> port on the I/O shield is always active, according to the BIOS. I have
> tried
> turning on the enclosure before powering on the PC, the HD spins up and is
> ready, however once I finish the boot sequence, Vista still does not
> detect
> the drive. It does not appear in the MMC (management console) either. Thus
> ended up having to resort to the USB for now, have you heard of this
> happening elsewhere? The mobo I have is an Asus P5Ne-SLI. Thanks in
> advance
> if you have a suggestion.

klothex:
Does the non-recognition problem exist regardless of whether the external
enclosure is connected to the motherboard's eSATA port either before *or*
after bootup? Or does the problem manifest itself *only* when the enclosure
is connected *after* bootup, i.e., there's no non-recognition problem if the
device is connected prior to powering up the PC?
Anna

Anna

Re: eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

> "klothex" <klothex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Vantec eSATA external enclosure, however I am only able to enable
>>it
>> through the USB connection, does anyone have a solution as to how to get
>> Vista Home Premuim 64 Bit to function via the eSATA method? Any help
>> would be
>> greatly appreciated. Thanks!

> "klothex" <klothex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Peter, yes I have everything running for SATA on the mobo, the
>> eSATA
>> port on the I/O shield is always active, according to the BIOS. I have
>> tried
>> turning on the enclosure before powering on the PC, the HD spins up and
>> is
>> ready, however once I finish the boot sequence, Vista still does not
>> detect
>> the drive. It does not appear in the MMC (management console) either.
>> Thus I
>> ended up having to resort to the USB for now, have you heard of this
>> happening elsewhere? The mobo I have is an Asus P5Ne-SLI. Thanks in
>> advance
>> if you have a suggestion.

> klothex:
> Does the non-recognition problem exist regardless of whether the external
> enclosure is connected to the motherboard's eSATA port either before *or*
> after bootup? Or does the problem manifest itself *only* when the
> enclosure is connected *after* bootup, i.e., there's no non-recognition
> problem if the device is connected prior to powering up the PC?
> Anna

klothex:
Sorry...I missed your comment that you had connected & powered up the
external enclosure before booting up and experienced the non-recognition
problem.

Anyway, try this...

In Device Manager, right-click on "Disk drives" and select the "Scan for
hardware changes" item. It probably won't work, but give it a try.

There's always the chance, of course, that the problem lies with a defective
enclosure - at least that portion of it involving SATA connectivity. We have
experienced some external USB - SATA (and eSATA) combo enclosures that
worked fine with the USB connection, but were defective with its SATA or
eSATA connection.
Anna

Richard Urban

Re: eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
But running it through a USB port takes away any advantage of eSATA. You
will cut the drives potential by about 50%.

--

>I have used eSATA on XP without a problem, I even checked the WHQL and it
> approves my enclosure and hard drive to be Vista compliant. The HD is a
> Seagate SATA II 500GB. Based on those results, I thought something as
> commonplace as SATA and now eSATA would be fully supported by Vista. I
> have
> also read some threads that other users are running eSATA sucessfully.
> There
> are no Vista drivers from either Vantec or Seagate for this config. Thanks
> in
> advance for your help.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> I can't assist you but I have a question.
>>
>> Why go through the trouble/expense of getting an eSATA drive and an eSATA
>> enclosure and then crippling the input/output by running through a USB
>> port?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "klothex" <klothex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Vantec eSATA external enclosure, however I am only able to
>> >enable
>> >it
>> > through the USB connection, does anyone have a solution as to how to
>> > get
>> > Vista Home Premuim 64 Bit to function via the eSATA method? Any help
>> > would
>> > be
>> > greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DevilsPGD

Re: eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
In message <epVPJu3sHHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>But running it through a USB port takes away any advantage of eSATA. You
>will cut the drives potential by about 50%.

That depends on the drive, many drives don't even push the limits of
USB, and cannot perform any better regardless of interface.

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Richard Urban

Re: eSATA not supported by Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
We are not talking SATA.

We are referring to eSATA. eSATA drives perform just as fast in an approved
external enclosure as when they are installed internally in the PC.

Connecting one up to a USB bus to input the data to the PC would choke the
drive to be no faster that a standard IDE drive in an external USB
enclosure.