Vista will not recognize SD after safely removing and re-inserting

Jenn82

Vista will not recognize SD after safely removing and re-inserting
I appreciate any help with this problem I have been having since I purchased
the computer in late February. I have looked all over the internet and this
forums but I may have missed an answer.

Windows Vista home premium on Acer Aspire desktop computer

My computer came with a built in 9in1 Media Card reader. It does not have
any trouble reading SD cards and other types of cards inserted when the
computer has been rebooted. However, when I insert an SD card, then safely
remove it (either of the 2 possible ways, right clicking or using safely
remove icon), and then try to re-insert the same SD or another SD card later,
the computer does not recognize the SD card. I can even go into 'my computer'
and the card is simply not recognized. I have tried multiple cards, Sandisk 1
GB Transflash, PNY brand 256 GB and more. It does not make a difference what
brand or size of the SD card used. If I safely remove an SD card, the
computer must be restarted with no card inserted in order to read any SD card
again. This always works, but it is annoying and really should not be that
way.
I have recently tried removing the SD card without 'safely removing' and the
computer then recognizes any SD card I insert, even the same one, any time
and it always reads it. I can insert cards in and out this way and the
computer reads them fine, but the moment I use safely remove I must re-start
the computer to read the same card again or another card. I do not like to
not use safely remove because you can lose data this way and have only done
this experimentally.
I am thinking it must be a problem with the safely remove feature, but I am
not sure?? Can anyone help? I have tried the hotfix kb/933847 and it did not
help.
Thanks!!
jaraco

Re: Vista will not recognize SD after safely removing and re-inserting

I also am experiencing this problem on my sister's Dell Latitude D420
with various SD cards. I have not tried the "unsafely remove" option
yet. We will try that next.

We've experienced corruption of the file system also (losing many of my
sister's home movies).

Did you have any success since your original post? I notice there is
an update to kb933847 which is kb937651. Have you tried that hotfix
yet?

Sincerely,
Jason

--
jaraco
Wandering

Re: Vista will not recognize SD after safely removing and re-inserting
It's probably too late, but don't use Safely Remove for these devices. It is
never needed. And you will actually Safely Remove the card reader device,
not the card. There is little reason to ever use Safely Remove for most
folks.