HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly Fails to Install Driver

T. Hulot

HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly Fails to Install Driver
Hello.

I'm having an enormous amount of trouble getting my HP LaserJet 1012
laser printer recognized by Vista Home Premium.

Here's what's going on: This is the second time I've installed Vista
Home Premium. (It's a legit copy, full version, not upgrade.)

The first time, I had some trouble getting the laser printer
recognized, but eventually I got it working.

This time, though, nothing I do works. I unplug it, replug it, use
the Add Printer feature, and there is no listing for the LaserJet
1012. There was the last time I did this.

I tried using the LaserJet 1015 option, which did install the printer,
BUT...Vista began searching for a generic driver, and couldn't find
it. I couldn't get the printer to work.

Here's the most frustrating part: I downloaded all of the updates via
Windows Update. After I did that, and rebooted, I found five more
updates to download.

I downloaded and installed four of the five new updates. Only one
failed to install.

Guess which update that was...the update for the HP LaserJet 1012!

I couldn't believe it. I really need to get this printer up and
running.

Can anyone please brainstorm with me? Why is this one update--the
only one that failed to install--not installing, when it's the one I
need the most?

What is preventing this printer from being installed? I realize it's
not certified Vista-compatible, but it DID work the last time I
installed Vista.

(I had to format and reinstall because Zone Alarm screwed up my system
to the point where starting over was a more practical solution. In
retrospect, that may have been a wrong decision.)

Thank you very much!
Lynneh10

RE: HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly Fai

"T. Hulot" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm having an enormous amount of trouble getting my HP LaserJet 1012
> laser printer recognized by Vista Home Premium.
>
> Here's what's going on: This is the second time I've installed Vista
> Home Premium. (It's a legit copy, full version, not upgrade.)
>
> The first time, I had some trouble getting the laser printer
> recognized, but eventually I got it working.
>
> This time, though, nothing I do works. I unplug it, replug it, use
> the Add Printer feature, and there is no listing for the LaserJet
> 1012. There was the last time I did this.
>
> I tried using the LaserJet 1015 option, which did install the printer,
> BUT...Vista began searching for a generic driver, and couldn't find
> it. I couldn't get the printer to work.
>
> Here's the most frustrating part: I downloaded all of the updates via
> Windows Update. After I did that, and rebooted, I found five more
> updates to download.
>
> I downloaded and installed four of the five new updates. Only one
> failed to install.
>
> Guess which update that was...the update for the HP LaserJet 1012!
>
> I couldn't believe it. I really need to get this printer up and
> running.
>
> Can anyone please brainstorm with me? Why is this one update--the
> only one that failed to install--not installing, when it's the one I
> need the most?
>
> What is preventing this printer from being installed? I realize it's
> not certified Vista-compatible, but it DID work the last time I
> installed Vista.
>
> (I had to format and reinstall because Zone Alarm screwed up my system
> to the point where starting over was a more practical solution. In
> retrospect, that may have been a wrong decision.)
>
> Thank you very much!

I had the same problem and found out that Hewlett Packard won't be making
the driver for Windows Vista for it. Looks like they want us to buy a new
printer instead.
I had the same problem with my 5300C scanner. I gave them both away because
they just weren't going to work with Vista.
Bill

RE: HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly
I too have this problem. I just had to reinstall my Vista OS. I had the
printer working for several months, by installing the driver from Windows
update, now I can't install the driver. Someone from Microsoft needs to look
into this. I look around at other forums and everyone is having this
problem. I don't think it is the drivers problem, it is something else.
--
TAD

"Lynneh10" wrote:

> "T. Hulot" wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm having an enormous amount of trouble getting my HP LaserJet 1012
> > laser printer recognized by Vista Home Premium.
> >
> > Here's what's going on: This is the second time I've installed Vista
> > Home Premium. (It's a legit copy, full version, not upgrade.)
> >
> > The first time, I had some trouble getting the laser printer
> > recognized, but eventually I got it working.
> >
> > This time, though, nothing I do works. I unplug it, replug it, use
> > the Add Printer feature, and there is no listing for the LaserJet
> > 1012. There was the last time I did this.
> >
> > I tried using the LaserJet 1015 option, which did install the printer,
> > BUT...Vista began searching for a generic driver, and couldn't find
> > it. I couldn't get the printer to work.
> >
> > Here's the most frustrating part: I downloaded all of the updates via
> > Windows Update. After I did that, and rebooted, I found five more
> > updates to download.
> >
> > I downloaded and installed four of the five new updates. Only one
> > failed to install.
> >
> > Guess which update that was...the update for the HP LaserJet 1012!
> >
> > I couldn't believe it. I really need to get this printer up and
> > running.
> >
> > Can anyone please brainstorm with me? Why is this one update--the
> > only one that failed to install--not installing, when it's the one I
> > need the most?
> >
> > What is preventing this printer from being installed? I realize it's
> > not certified Vista-compatible, but it DID work the last time I
> > installed Vista.
> >
> > (I had to format and reinstall because Zone Alarm screwed up my system
> > to the point where starting over was a more practical solution. In
> > retrospect, that may have been a wrong decision.)
> >
> > Thank you very much!
> >

> I had the same problem and found out that Hewlett Packard won't be making
> the driver for Windows Vista for it. Looks like they want us to buy a new
> printer instead.
> I had the same problem with my 5300C scanner. I gave them both away because
> they just weren't going to work with Vista.

Lynneh10

RE: HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly
There is nothing Microsoft can do if HP won't make a driver that works. It is
up the the printer manufacturer to do this. Personally, I find this a sign
that any company that won't back their products that is less than 5 years
old, a lack of corporate integrity.

"Bill" wrote:

> I too have this problem. I just had to reinstall my Vista OS. I had the
> printer working for several months, by installing the driver from Windows
> update, now I can't install the driver. Someone from Microsoft needs to look
> into this. I look around at other forums and everyone is having this
> problem. I don't think it is the drivers problem, it is something else.
> --
> TAD
>

> "Lynneh10" wrote:
>

> > "T. Hulot" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I'm having an enormous amount of trouble getting my HP LaserJet 1012
> > > laser printer recognized by Vista Home Premium.
> > >
> > > Here's what's going on: This is the second time I've installed Vista
> > > Home Premium. (It's a legit copy, full version, not upgrade.)
> > >
> > > The first time, I had some trouble getting the laser printer
> > > recognized, but eventually I got it working.
> > >
> > > This time, though, nothing I do works. I unplug it, replug it, use
> > > the Add Printer feature, and there is no listing for the LaserJet
> > > 1012. There was the last time I did this.
> > >
> > > I tried using the LaserJet 1015 option, which did install the printer,
> > > BUT...Vista began searching for a generic driver, and couldn't find
> > > it. I couldn't get the printer to work.
> > >
> > > Here's the most frustrating part: I downloaded all of the updates via
> > > Windows Update. After I did that, and rebooted, I found five more
> > > updates to download.
> > >
> > > I downloaded and installed four of the five new updates. Only one
> > > failed to install.
> > >
> > > Guess which update that was...the update for the HP LaserJet 1012!
> > >
> > > I couldn't believe it. I really need to get this printer up and
> > > running.
> > >
> > > Can anyone please brainstorm with me? Why is this one update--the
> > > only one that failed to install--not installing, when it's the one I
> > > need the most?
> > >
> > > What is preventing this printer from being installed? I realize it's
> > > not certified Vista-compatible, but it DID work the last time I
> > > installed Vista.
> > >
> > > (I had to format and reinstall because Zone Alarm screwed up my system
> > > to the point where starting over was a more practical solution. In
> > > retrospect, that may have been a wrong decision.)
> > >
> > > Thank you very much!
> > >

> > I had the same problem and found out that Hewlett Packard won't be making
> > the driver for Windows Vista for it. Looks like they want us to buy a new
> > printer instead.
> > I had the same problem with my 5300C scanner. I gave them both away because
> > they just weren't going to work with Vista.

Location: Tequisquiapan, Queretaro Mexico
tequisbob is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
success at last
I finally cleaned everything up with all the printers......went to HP and downloaded the generic PCL 6 universal driver and installed it....then I changed my port to Dot 4 installed the HP Laserjet 1015....and now my 1012 is printing just fine.....I hope it lasts....
TequisBob
jabloomf1230

Re: HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista ConstantlyFails to Install Driver
That's the only way to make the 1012 work under Vista. HP has been
dreadful with its Vista driver support.