Problems after exchange graphocs card

bitla50

Problems after exchange graphocs card
I have Vista Ultimate. I exchanged my Matrox 550 Milennium PCIe for a NVidia
8600 GT. I first removed all programs and drivers involving Matrox, shut down
the PC and exchanged the cards. At the first start, there was a boot problem
that was miraculously solved, I don'r know what exactly happened. Then the
drivers would not install because allegedly I did not have Vista. After some
restarts the drivers did install. OK. Then I wanted to use Aero, but it is
not available on the list of colour scheme possibilities. The I wanted to
check my PC Score and it said only 1,0, indicated a graphics weakness and
still mentioned the Matrox. I wanted to to a score update and BANG! a blue
screen. Repeatedly. Then I wanted to use the Vista upgrade advisor and again,
a blue screen. So apparently there is something wrong :-( and the
installation of a new graphics card is not as easy as everyone said. I would
have used professional help, but nobody seems to answer the phone or emails,
so I was forced to do it myself.
Who can help?? Thank you!
bitla50

RE: Problems after exchange graphocs card
I get blue screens all the time now, when I try to open a music file, try to
download a scanner driver, the system is exremely unstable! In fact, now I
rememebr having had some blue screens before I changed the cards. I was so
happy with XP, but I am very unhappy with Vista.

"bitla50" wrote:

> I have Vista Ultimate. I exchanged my Matrox 550 Milennium PCIe for a NVidia
> 8600 GT. I first removed all programs and drivers involving Matrox, shut down
> the PC and exchanged the cards. At the first start, there was a boot problem
> that was miraculously solved, I don'r know what exactly happened. Then the
> drivers would not install because allegedly I did not have Vista. After some
> restarts the drivers did install. OK. Then I wanted to use Aero, but it is
> not available on the list of colour scheme possibilities. The I wanted to
> check my PC Score and it said only 1,0, indicated a graphics weakness and
> still mentioned the Matrox. I wanted to to a score update and BANG! a blue
> screen. Repeatedly. Then I wanted to use the Vista upgrade advisor and again,
> a blue screen. So apparently there is something wrong :-( and the
> installation of a new graphics card is not as easy as everyone said. I would
> have used professional help, but nobody seems to answer the phone or emails,
> so I was forced to do it myself.
> Who can help?? Thank you!

JW

Re: Problems after exchange graphocs card
I suggest the following:

1..Download the latest Beta driver to your system;

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_do...etadriver.html

2. shutdown the system and do a F8 safe mode boot and install the driver.

3. restart the system.

"bitla50" <bitla50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get blue screens all the time now, when I try to open a music file, try
> download a scanner driver, the system is exremely unstable! In fact, now I
> rememebr having had some blue screens before I changed the cards. I was so
> happy with XP, but I am very unhappy with Vista.
>
> "bitla50" wrote:
>
>> I have Vista Ultimate. I exchanged my Matrox 550 Milennium PCIe for a
>> NVidia
>> 8600 GT. I first removed all programs and drivers involving Matrox, shut
>> down
>> the PC and exchanged the cards. At the first start, there was a boot
>> problem
>> that was miraculously solved, I don'r know what exactly happened. Then
>> the
>> drivers would not install because allegedly I did not have Vista. After
>> some
>> restarts the drivers did install. OK. Then I wanted to use Aero, but it
>> is
>> not available on the list of colour scheme possibilities. The I wanted to
>> check my PC Score and it said only 1,0, indicated a graphics weakness and
>> still mentioned the Matrox. I wanted to to a score update and BANG! a
>> blue
>> screen. Repeatedly. Then I wanted to use the Vista upgrade advisor and
>> again,
>> a blue screen. So apparently there is something wrong :-( and the
>> installation of a new graphics card is not as easy as everyone said. I
>> would
>> have used professional help, but nobody seems to answer the phone or
>> emails,
>> so I was forced to do it myself.
>> Who can help?? Thank you!

DABhand

RE: Problems after exchange graphocs card
There is a chance you have a memory problem, im not 100% sure on this as I
cant physically check your machine. But if you have a bad memory stick and
its causing BSOD's when trying to access other programs then I would get it
checked out.

You could do yourself by removing the power connector to your PSU (power
supply unit) and removing one stick of ram if you have 2, and try with one if
it crashes, try with the other stick, if it does not crash you have a memory
problem.

If they crash on both, there is a unique chance both sticks are having a
problem but thats a slight chance, if both then I would suggest getting it
checked as it could be more a hardware fault than software.

If you can reinstall Vista from scratch with the new card installed.

Also make sure your PSU is powerful enough for your Nvidia card, under
450Watts will not do the job.

"bitla50" wrote:

> I get blue screens all the time now, when I try to open a music file, try to
> download a scanner driver, the system is exremely unstable! In fact, now I
> rememebr having had some blue screens before I changed the cards. I was so
> happy with XP, but I am very unhappy with Vista.
>
> "bitla50" wrote:
>
> > I have Vista Ultimate. I exchanged my Matrox 550 Milennium PCIe for a NVidia
> > 8600 GT. I first removed all programs and drivers involving Matrox, shut down
> > the PC and exchanged the cards. At the first start, there was a boot problem
> > that was miraculously solved, I don'r know what exactly happened. Then the
> > drivers would not install because allegedly I did not have Vista. After some
> > restarts the drivers did install. OK. Then I wanted to use Aero, but it is
> > not available on the list of colour scheme possibilities. The I wanted to
> > check my PC Score and it said only 1,0, indicated a graphics weakness and
> > still mentioned the Matrox. I wanted to to a score update and BANG! a blue
> > screen. Repeatedly. Then I wanted to use the Vista upgrade advisor and again,
> > a blue screen. So apparently there is something wrong :-( and the
> > installation of a new graphics card is not as easy as everyone said. I would
> > have used professional help, but nobody seems to answer the phone or emails,
> > so I was forced to do it myself.
> > Who can help?? Thank you!

bitla50

RE: Problems after exchange graphocs card
Thank you, I'll try out your tips. I have looked into the problems history
and found that there seems to be a compatibility problem with the program
when I have a crash. For many programs then apparently, also the POV.exe that
goes with my graphics card. I have been thinking of reinstalling Vista, too.
That is definitely an option as I have a brandnew computer, but the guy who
made it for me does not (want to) know me anymore. The first time I called
him with a minor probem, they did not remember me (as if this was a cheap
machine!), then they gave an idiotic advice (buy a new monitor instead of
raise the frequency!!!). I have tried three other professional "helpers", but
they do not answer the phone or react to emails. Service? Never heard of.
BTW, I have a 470 Watt power thing in it, so that should be enough, I think?
"bitla50" wrote:

> I have Vista Ultimate. I exchanged my Matrox 550 Milennium PCIe for a NVidia
> 8600 GT. I first removed all programs and drivers involving Matrox, shut down
> the PC and exchanged the cards. At the first start, there was a boot problem
> that was miraculously solved, I don'r know what exactly happened. Then the
> drivers would not install because allegedly I did not have Vista. After some
> restarts the drivers did install. OK. Then I wanted to use Aero, but it is
> not available on the list of colour scheme possibilities. The I wanted to
> check my PC Score and it said only 1,0, indicated a graphics weakness and
> still mentioned the Matrox. I wanted to to a score update and BANG! a blue
> screen. Repeatedly. Then I wanted to use the Vista upgrade advisor and again,
> a blue screen. So apparently there is something wrong :-( and the
> installation of a new graphics card is not as easy as everyone said. I would
> have used professional help, but nobody seems to answer the phone or emails,
> so I was forced to do it myself.
> Who can help?? Thank you!

bitla50

RE: Problems after exchange graphocs card
O, I see the betadrivers are for 8800 cards? Does that work for my 8600GT?

"DABhand" wrote:

> There is a chance you have a memory problem, im not 100% sure on this as I
> cant physically check your machine. But if you have a bad memory stick and
> its causing BSOD's when trying to access other programs then I would get it
> checked out.
>
> You could do yourself by removing the power connector to your PSU (power
> supply unit) and removing one stick of ram if you have 2, and try with one if
> it crashes, try with the other stick, if it does not crash you have a memory
> problem.
>
> If they crash on both, there is a unique chance both sticks are having a
> problem but thats a slight chance, if both then I would suggest getting it
> checked as it could be more a hardware fault than software.
>
> If you can reinstall Vista from scratch with the new card installed.
>
> Also make sure your PSU is powerful enough for your Nvidia card, under
> 450Watts will not do the job.
>
> "bitla50" wrote:
>
> > I get blue screens all the time now, when I try to open a music file, try to
> > download a scanner driver, the system is exremely unstable! In fact, now I
> > rememebr having had some blue screens before I changed the cards. I was so
> > happy with XP, but I am very unhappy with Vista.
> >
> > "bitla50" wrote:
> >
> > > I have Vista Ultimate. I exchanged my Matrox 550 Milennium PCIe for a NVidia
> > > 8600 GT. I first removed all programs and drivers involving Matrox, shut down
> > > the PC and exchanged the cards. At the first start, there was a boot problem
> > > that was miraculously solved, I don'r know what exactly happened. Then the
> > > drivers would not install because allegedly I did not have Vista. After some
> > > restarts the drivers did install. OK. Then I wanted to use Aero, but it is
> > > not available on the list of colour scheme possibilities. The I wanted to
> > > check my PC Score and it said only 1,0, indicated a graphics weakness and
> > > still mentioned the Matrox. I wanted to to a score update and BANG! a blue
> > > screen. Repeatedly. Then I wanted to use the Vista upgrade advisor and again,
> > > a blue screen. So apparently there is something wrong :-( and the
> > > installation of a new graphics card is not as easy as everyone said. I would
> > > have used professional help, but nobody seems to answer the phone or emails,
> > > so I was forced to do it myself.
> > > Who can help?? Thank you!

Dominic Payer

Re: Problems after exchange graphocs card
Check for BIOS updates for your motherboard.

Did you connect the graphics card directly to a suitable power connector?
Newer cards need their own power supply - the motherboard graphics slot
doesn't provide enough..

> Thank you, I'll try out your tips. I have looked into the problems history
> and found that there seems to be a compatibility problem with the program
> when I have a crash. For many programs then apparently, also the POV.exe
> that
> goes with my graphics card. I have been thinking of reinstalling Vista,
> too.
> That is definitely an option as I have a brandnew computer, but the guy
> who
> made it for me does not (want to) know me anymore. The first time I called
> him with a minor probem, they did not remember me (as if this was a cheap
> machine!), then they gave an idiotic advice (buy a new monitor instead of
> raise the frequency!!!). I have tried three other professional "helpers",
> but
> they do not answer the phone or react to emails. Service? Never heard of.
> BTW, I have a 470 Watt power thing in it, so that should be enough, I
> think?
> "bitla50" wrote:
>
>> I have Vista Ultimate. I exchanged my Matrox 550 Milennium PCIe for a
>> NVidia
>> 8600 GT. I first removed all programs and drivers involving Matrox, shut
>> down
>> the PC and exchanged the cards. At the first start, there was a boot
>> problem
>> that was miraculously solved, I don'r know what exactly happened. Then
>> the
>> drivers would not install because allegedly I did not have Vista. After
>> some
>> restarts the drivers did install. OK. Then I wanted to use Aero, but it
>> is
>> not available on the list of colour scheme possibilities. The I wanted to
>> check my PC Score and it said only 1,0, indicated a graphics weakness and
>> still mentioned the Matrox. I wanted to to a score update and BANG! a
>> blue
>> screen. Repeatedly. Then I wanted to use the Vista upgrade advisor and
>> again,
>> a blue screen. So apparently there is something wrong :-( and the
>> installation of a new graphics card is not as easy as everyone said. I
>> would
>> have used professional help, but nobody seems to answer the phone or
>> emails,
>> so I was forced to do it myself.
>> Who can help?? Thank you!

bitla50

Re: Problems after exchange graphocs card
Thanks, I'll check. Do I do that on the Asus homepage?
The 8600GT has no own power supply. Unless I overlooked something, but I
don't think so. It fit into the MB slot witout a hitch, so I think it sits
well. In principle, it is working, too, only I get bluescreens when I e.g.
try to open Media Center or something. And I don't seem to be able to get
Aero? So perhaps it is running in some "lower" mode? According to my scorwe,
I still have Matrox, so there is something wrong there. But when I try to
update my score, I crash.
However, I fainally found someone who will call me back to make an
appointment for a visit to my PC. I hope he'll be able to help, because I am
completely fed up with the situation. I spent a good deal of money on a
system that should be working and be future-proof and I trusted a small shop
for giving me service, but I am so disappointed ( not to use a different
word)! I am very near throwing away the whole thing and buy myself a complete
system at some big store. They have very interesting offers nowaday.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> Check for BIOS updates for your motherboard.
>
> Did you connect the graphics card directly to a suitable power connector?
> Newer cards need their own power supply - the motherboard graphics slot
> doesn't provide enough..
>

> "bitla50" <bitla50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you, I'll try out your tips. I have looked into the problems history
> > and found that there seems to be a compatibility problem with the program
> > when I have a crash. For many programs then apparently, also the POV.exe
> > that
> > goes with my graphics card. I have been thinking of reinstalling Vista,
> > too.
> > That is definitely an option as I have a brandnew computer, but the guy
> > who
> > made it for me does not (want to) know me anymore. The first time I called
> > him with a minor probem, they did not remember me (as if this was a cheap
> > machine!), then they gave an idiotic advice (buy a new monitor instead of
> > raise the frequency!!!). I have tried three other professional "helpers",
> > but
> > they do not answer the phone or react to emails. Service? Never heard of.
> > BTW, I have a 470 Watt power thing in it, so that should be enough, I
> > think?
> > "bitla50" wrote:
> >
> >> I have Vista Ultimate. I exchanged my Matrox 550 Milennium PCIe for a
> >> NVidia
> >> 8600 GT. I first removed all programs and drivers involving Matrox, shut
> >> down
> >> the PC and exchanged the cards. At the first start, there was a boot
> >> problem
> >> that was miraculously solved, I don'r know what exactly happened. Then
> >> the
> >> drivers would not install because allegedly I did not have Vista. After
> >> some
> >> restarts the drivers did install. OK. Then I wanted to use Aero, but it
> >> is
> >> not available on the list of colour scheme possibilities. The I wanted to
> >> check my PC Score and it said only 1,0, indicated a graphics weakness and
> >> still mentioned the Matrox. I wanted to to a score update and BANG! a
> >> blue
> >> screen. Repeatedly. Then I wanted to use the Vista upgrade advisor and
> >> again,
> >> a blue screen. So apparently there is something wrong :-( and the
> >> installation of a new graphics card is not as easy as everyone said. I
> >> would
> >> have used professional help, but nobody seems to answer the phone or
> >> emails,
> >> so I was forced to do it myself.
> >> Who can help?? Thank you!

Dominic Payer

Re: Problems after exchange graphocs card
If you have an ASUS motherboard, that's where you should check.

Read the installation instructions for your card carefully. The card will
fit in the slot but there may well be a molex or other connector on the card
or an additional connector on the motherboard which needs a power connection
to supply enough power for an 8600GT. The Matrox 550 would have needed much
less power.

> Thanks, I'll check. Do I do that on the Asus homepage?
> The 8600GT has no own power supply. Unless I overlooked something, but I
> don't think so. It fit into the MB slot witout a hitch, so I think it
> sits
> well. In principle, it is working, too, only I get bluescreens when I e.g.
> try to open Media Center or something. And I don't seem to be able to get
> Aero? So perhaps it is running in some "lower" mode? According to my
> scorwe,
> I still have Matrox, so there is something wrong there. But when I try to
> update my score, I crash.
> However, I fainally found someone who will call me back to make an
> appointment for a visit to my PC. I hope he'll be able to help, because I
> am
> completely fed up with the situation. I spent a good deal of money on a
> system that should be working and be future-proof and I trusted a small
> shop
> for giving me service, but I am so disappointed ( not to use a different
> word)! I am very near throwing away the whole thing and buy myself a
> complete
> system at some big store. They have very interesting offers nowaday.
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> Check for BIOS updates for your motherboard.
>>
>> Did you connect the graphics card directly to a suitable power connector?
>> Newer cards need their own power supply - the motherboard graphics slot
>> doesn't provide enough..
>>

>> "bitla50" <bitla50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you, I'll try out your tips. I have looked into the problems
>> > history
>> > and found that there seems to be a compatibility problem with the
>> > program
>> > when I have a crash. For many programs then apparently, also the
>> > POV.exe
>> > that
>> > goes with my graphics card. I have been thinking of reinstalling Vista,
>> > too.
>> > That is definitely an option as I have a brandnew computer, but the guy
>> > who
>> > made it for me does not (want to) know me anymore. The first time I
>> > called
>> > him with a minor probem, they did not remember me (as if this was a
>> > cheap
>> > machine!), then they gave an idiotic advice (buy a new monitor instead
>> > of
>> > raise the frequency!!!). I have tried three other professional
>> > "helpers",
>> > but
>> > they do not answer the phone or react to emails. Service? Never heard
>> > of.
>> > BTW, I have a 470 Watt power thing in it, so that should be enough, I
>> > think?

JW

Re: Problems after exchange graphocs card
Yes it is on the list of supported cards. I am using it for a 8500GT card.

news2B126A6-0994-40CA-BE6A-C99F673A123F@microsoft.com...