Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

4GB RAM???

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007
mtogni
 

Posts: n/a
4GB RAM???
I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It reports
only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
Thanks in advance.

Michelangelo Togni
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007
Cal Bear '66
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 4GB RAM???
It IS a limit of any 32-bit OS.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!


"mtogni" <mtogni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2CFCDE08-9F4E-4A78-A393-7DCAE85A09CD@microsoft.com...
>I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
> correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It reports
> only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Michelangelo Togni



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007
Dustin Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 4GB RAM???
It is a 32 Bit limit, regardless of the OS. If you have a 64 bit processor,
you can install the 64 bit version of Vista and it will "see" all of the
RAM.

The 4 GB is there, but due to the 32 bit memory addressing limit, the OS
only see's ~3-3.5 GB. The other addressing space is for the video card, BIOS
and other hardware.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

--
"mtogni" <mtogni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2CFCDE08-9F4E-4A78-A393-7DCAE85A09CD@microsoft.com...
>I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
> correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It
> reports
> only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Michelangelo Togni


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007
freddy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: 4GB RAM???
mtogni,

Her is a Microsoft article explaining it fully:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/

The main point to notice is the remapping feature required in BIOS.
--
freddy


"mtogni" wrote:

> I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
> correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It reports
> only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Michelangelo Togni

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007
Mt_thecap
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 4GB RAM???
So the remaining 0.5 Gb is not lost but is used by the system? If so I think
this is not so bad, however "something" use it...
--
Michelangelo Togni


"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> It is a 32 Bit limit, regardless of the OS. If you have a 64 bit processor,
> you can install the 64 bit version of Vista and it will "see" all of the
> RAM.
>
> The 4 GB is there, but due to the 32 bit memory addressing limit, the OS
> only see's ~3-3.5 GB. The other addressing space is for the video card, BIOS
> and other hardware.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "mtogni" <mtogni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2CFCDE08-9F4E-4A78-A393-7DCAE85A09CD@microsoft.com...
> >I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
> > correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It
> > reports
> > only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Michelangelo Togni

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007
JW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 4GB RAM???
AFAIK it is not actually used by the system. The addresses are reserved for
use by other cards such as a graphics card with 512 MB of on board memory to
addressee their own memory so the OS itself can not use the space.
"Mt_thecap" <Mtthecap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7A1F7CB7-F3E1-430A-81BB-DDF50637BFAD@microsoft.com...
> So the remaining 0.5 Gb is not lost but is used by the system? If so I
> think
> this is not so bad, however "something" use it...
> --
> Michelangelo Togni
>
>
> "Dustin Harper" wrote:
>
>> It is a 32 Bit limit, regardless of the OS. If you have a 64 bit
>> processor,
>> you can install the 64 bit version of Vista and it will "see" all of the
>> RAM.
>>
>> The 4 GB is there, but due to the 32 bit memory addressing limit, the OS
>> only see's ~3-3.5 GB. The other addressing space is for the video card,
>> BIOS
>> and other hardware.
>>
>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>
>> --
>> "mtogni" <mtogni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2CFCDE08-9F4E-4A78-A393-7DCAE85A09CD@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board.
>> >BIOS
>> > correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It
>> > reports
>> > only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Michelangelo Togni

>>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2007
Scott
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 4GB RAM???
Cal,

3.5 GB is the limit of 32-bit OS. My computer claims to take 4 GB RAM so it
is not much useful to add up to the max. as I have 2 GB RAM on my computer.
Other parts of computer will use the RAM over 3.5 GB. Is it really true on
every Vista computer or subject to certain conditions as my video card is
independent one, not share the system RAM?

Thanks,

Scott

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> 在郵件
news:2B45189F-BB03-4157-9C20-81C11A155FC4@microsoft.com 中撰寫...
> It IS a limit of any 32-bit OS.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>
>
> "mtogni" <mtogni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2CFCDE08-9F4E-4A78-A393-7DCAE85A09CD@microsoft.com...
>>I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
>> correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It
>> reports
>> only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Michelangelo Togni

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2007
Dustin Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 4GB RAM???
It isn't the physical RAM that is the problem. It is the addressing system.
Basically, the system maps everything it needs to a (hate to use the word,
as it's not really accurate) virtual memory place, or address space. This
place can only be 4 GB in size. This includes the RAM, video card, BIOS, and
other hardware that maps itself there. If you have an independant video
card, that will reduce it by the amount of RAM the card has.

Imagine a map of a factory 4 acres in size. You have 4 acres of product
(RAM), but the shelves, equipment and boxes (video card, BIOS, etc.). The
factory can support 4 acres of total space, but only a certain amount is
available for certain things. There is going to be some overhead.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

--
"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message
news:ea07inksHHA.4600@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Cal,
>
> 3.5 GB is the limit of 32-bit OS. My computer claims to take 4 GB RAM so
> it is not much useful to add up to the max. as I have 2 GB RAM on my
> computer. Other parts of computer will use the RAM over 3.5 GB. Is it
> really true on every Vista computer or subject to certain conditions as my
> video card is independent one, not share the system RAM?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> 在郵件
> news:2B45189F-BB03-4157-9C20-81C11A155FC4@microsoft.com 中撰寫...
>> It IS a limit of any 32-bit OS.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>
>>
>> "mtogni" <mtogni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2CFCDE08-9F4E-4A78-A393-7DCAE85A09CD@microsoft.com...
>>>I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
>>> correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It
>>> reports
>>> only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Michelangelo Togni

>>
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2007
billy bo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 4GB RAM???
32 bit os can find only 3~3.5Gb Ram ,WHY?
32 bit should find 4G max.

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> It is a 32 Bit limit, regardless of the OS. If you have a 64 bit processor,
> you can install the 64 bit version of Vista and it will "see" all of the
> RAM.
>
> The 4 GB is there, but due to the 32 bit memory addressing limit, the OS
> only see's ~3-3.5 GB. The other addressing space is for the video card, BIOS
> and other hardware.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "mtogni" <mtogni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2CFCDE08-9F4E-4A78-A393-7DCAE85A09CD@microsoft.com...
> >I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
> > correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It
> > reports
> > only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Michelangelo Togni

>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2007
Dan
 

Posts: n/a
RE: 4GB RAM???
hey it could be worse they could max it only to 2gb of ram lol so be at least
happy. I would

"freddy" wrote:

> mtogni,
>
> Her is a Microsoft article explaining it fully:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/
>
> The main point to notice is the remapping feature required in BIOS.
> --
> freddy
>
>
> "mtogni" wrote:
>
> > I have a brand new pc with Vista Pro and 4Gb of RAM DDR800 on board. BIOS
> > correctly recognizes the right amount of memory but Windows don't. It reports
> > only 3,5 RAM. Am I missing something or it's a O.S. limit?
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Michelangelo Togni

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't start up Vista-64 with 4GB RAM SAMBROSINI microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 8 05-20-2007 00:02
Vista 32-bit and 4GB RAM 007 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 05-19-2007 19:23
4gb of Ram =?Utf-8?B?Qmx1ZXN0ZXI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 3 03-28-2007 03:10
4GB of ram =?Utf-8?B?V2FsZG9zcg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 9 03-07-2007 06:23
4gb RAM not showing up =?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWtlcjcxOQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 12 03-01-2007 09:10




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:21.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120