Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA

Sopel

Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
Hello,

Im currently running Microsoft Vista on My HP Computer, it already has a
300GB SATA HDD, I just bought a ATA 750GB SEAGATE HDD, I want to run both,
and store my music/videos on the 750GB while running programs/files from my
300GB SATA, basically I want to utilize both of them at the same time while
im on the desktop.

My Computer has one primary IDE/ATA cable and it has my CD and DVD drive
connected to both and into the mother board (labeled primary)

The 300GB drive has its own SATA Cable.

I realized I needed a PCI ATA adapter to go on so I bought that, because the
primary IDE/ATA Cable is fully used by the CD/DVD drives, the PCI ATA adapter
i purchased has Primary and Secondary IDE/ATA ports.

I need instructions on how to set this up, I tried multiple settings and
before the text Microsoft Corparation and loading bar I get a Black Screen, I
cannot enter the desktop with my New 750GB HDD physically installed, once I
get there I know what to do, but i never got there.

Aswell what should my jumper settings be on my factory 300GB SATA drive I
believe its MASTER hence [( : ) : : :]

Should my other one be nothing [: : : :] slave or Cable? [: ( : ) : :], or
something else..?

Can you please tell me which IDE/ATA ports i use primary/secondary on the
PCI ATA card, what jumpter settings should I have, do I use the Grey or Black
part of the ribbin, and do I leave my CD/DVD on the primary ATA/IDE ribbon
alone?

Thank You, Sopel
Dustin Harper

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
Your IDE drive can be master on the channel, separate from the CD/DVD. Put
it on Cable Select, and it should be fine. It will need to be formatted
(Start | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Managment | Right
click, format). Your BIOS should automatically detect it with no issues.
It's fairly plug and play. Your computer should boot from the SATA drive
first (if not, you can change that in the BIOS, as well). That may be your
problem. Go into the BIOS and check for the Boot Options. It should have the
SATA drive as the first boot drive.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Sopel" <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Im currently running Microsoft Vista on My HP Computer, it already has a
> 300GB SATA HDD, I just bought a ATA 750GB SEAGATE HDD, I want to run both,
> and store my music/videos on the 750GB while running programs/files from
> my
> 300GB SATA, basically I want to utilize both of them at the same time
> while
> im on the desktop.
>
> My Computer has one primary IDE/ATA cable and it has my CD and DVD drive
> connected to both and into the mother board (labeled primary)
>
> The 300GB drive has its own SATA Cable.
>
> I realized I needed a PCI ATA adapter to go on so I bought that, because
> the
> primary IDE/ATA Cable is fully used by the CD/DVD drives, the PCI ATA
> adapter
> i purchased has Primary and Secondary IDE/ATA ports.
>
> I need instructions on how to set this up, I tried multiple settings and
> before the text Microsoft Corparation and loading bar I get a Black
> Screen, I
> cannot enter the desktop with my New 750GB HDD physically installed, once
> get there I know what to do, but i never got there.
>
> Aswell what should my jumper settings be on my factory 300GB SATA drive I
> believe its MASTER hence [( : ) : : :]
>
> Should my other one be nothing [: : : :] slave or Cable? [: ( : ) : :], or
> something else..?
>
> Can you please tell me which IDE/ATA ports i use primary/secondary on the
> PCI ATA card, what jumpter settings should I have, do I use the Grey or
> Black
> part of the ribbin, and do I leave my CD/DVD on the primary ATA/IDE ribbon
> alone?
>

> Thank You, Sopel

Sopel

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
I set the Ribbon to master, and I set the Jumper to Cable as you spcified,
still did not work.

Then as instructed I went to Setup/BIOS
Went to HDD Group Boot Priority, and this is what it has

1. RAID 0 - 300 SATA
2. RAID 1 - 750 ATA (SEAGATE)

So the 300 Sata is set as top priority book, and it still did not work for
me... Is there anything else I can do.

THanks Greg

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> Your IDE drive can be master on the channel, separate from the CD/DVD. Put
> it on Cable Select, and it should be fine. It will need to be formatted
> (Start | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Managment | Right
> click, format). Your BIOS should automatically detect it with no issues.
> It's fairly plug and play. Your computer should boot from the SATA drive
> first (if not, you can change that in the BIOS, as well). That may be your
> problem. Go into the BIOS and check for the Boot Options. It should have the
> SATA drive as the first boot drive.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "Sopel" <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Im currently running Microsoft Vista on My HP Computer, it already has a
> > 300GB SATA HDD, I just bought a ATA 750GB SEAGATE HDD, I want to run both,
> > and store my music/videos on the 750GB while running programs/files from
> > my
> > 300GB SATA, basically I want to utilize both of them at the same time
> > while
> > im on the desktop.
> >
> > My Computer has one primary IDE/ATA cable and it has my CD and DVD drive
> > connected to both and into the mother board (labeled primary)
> >
> > The 300GB drive has its own SATA Cable.
> >
> > I realized I needed a PCI ATA adapter to go on so I bought that, because
> > the
> > primary IDE/ATA Cable is fully used by the CD/DVD drives, the PCI ATA
> > adapter
> > i purchased has Primary and Secondary IDE/ATA ports.
> >
> > I need instructions on how to set this up, I tried multiple settings and
> > before the text Microsoft Corparation and loading bar I get a Black
> > Screen, I
> > cannot enter the desktop with my New 750GB HDD physically installed, once
> > get there I know what to do, but i never got there.
> >
> > Aswell what should my jumper settings be on my factory 300GB SATA drive I
> > believe its MASTER hence [( : ) : : :]
> >
> > Should my other one be nothing [: : : :] slave or Cable? [: ( : ) : :], or
> > something else..?
> >
> > Can you please tell me which IDE/ATA ports i use primary/secondary on the
> > PCI ATA card, what jumpter settings should I have, do I use the Grey or
> > Black
> > part of the ribbin, and do I leave my CD/DVD on the primary ATA/IDE ribbon
> > alone?
> >

> > Thank You, Sopel

Carl G

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
Hi Sopel
Acording to your bios setings there , it says you are running a raid setup.
ARE YOU ?
If no , you have to change that setting . Sounds like it is looking for a
Raid setup to boot to and you have none.
Hope this helps.

--
Carl G

> [...]
>> > and
>> > before the text Microsoft Corparation and loading bar I get a Black
>> > Screen, I
>> > cannot enter the desktop with my New 750GB HDD physically installed,
>> > once
>> > get there I know what to do, but i never got there.
>> >
>> > Aswell what should my jumper settings be on my factory 300GB SATA drive
>> > believe its MASTER hence [( : ) : : :]
>> >
>> > Should my other one be nothing [: : : :] slave or Cable? [: ( : ) : :],
>> > or
>> > something else..?
>> >
>> > Can you please tell me which IDE/ATA ports i use primary/secondary on
>> > the
>> > PCI ATA card, what jumpter settings should I have, do I use the Grey or
>> > Black
>> > part of the ribbin, and do I leave my CD/DVD on the primary ATA/IDE

Sopel

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
Hello, Carl

How to I go about changing this? I never in my life added a HDD, do i do
all this in BIOS?

"Carl G" wrote:

> Hi Sopel
> Acording to your bios setings there , it says you are running a raid setup.
> ARE YOU ?
> If no , you have to change that setting . Sounds like it is looking for a
> Raid setup to boot to and you have none.
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Carl G
>
> "Sopel" <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I set the Ribbon to master, and I set the Jumper to Cable as you spcified,
> > still did not work.
> >
> > Then as instructed I went to Setup/BIOS
> > Went to HDD Group Boot Priority, and this is what it has
> >
> > 1. RAID 0 - 300 SATA
> > 2. RAID 1 - 750 ATA (SEAGATE)
> >
> > So the 300 Sata is set as top priority book, and it still did not work for
> > me... Is there anything else I can do.
> >
> > THanks Greg
> >
> > "Dustin Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> Your IDE drive can be master on the channel, separate from the CD/DVD.
> >> Put
> >> it on Cable Select, and it should be fine. It will need to be formatted
> >> (Start | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Managment |
> >> Right
> >> click, format). Your BIOS should automatically detect it with no issues.
> >> It's fairly plug and play. Your computer should boot from the SATA drive
> >> first (if not, you can change that in the BIOS, as well). That may be
> >> your
> >> problem. Go into the BIOS and check for the Boot Options. It should have
> >> the
> >> SATA drive as the first boot drive.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dustin Harper
> >> dharper@vistarip.com
> >> http://www.vistarip.com

Carl G

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
Hi Sopel
Yes you would have to do that in the bios.
If you post what motherboard you have , someone with the same board will be
able to tell you how to go about that.
What make and model motherboard.
Hope this helps you.

--
Carl G

> Hello, Carl
>
> How to I go about changing this? I never in my life added a HDD, do i do
> all this in BIOS?
>
> "Carl G" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sopel
>> Acording to your bios setings there , it says you are running a raid
>> setup.
>> ARE YOU ?
>> If no , you have to change that setting . Sounds like it is looking for a
>> Raid setup to boot to and you have none.
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Carl G
>>
>> "Sopel" <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I set the Ribbon to master, and I set the Jumper to Cable as you
>> >spcified,
>> > still did not work.
>> >
>> > Then as instructed I went to Setup/BIOS
>> > Went to HDD Group Boot Priority, and this is what it has
>> >
>> > 1. RAID 0 - 300 SATA
>> > 2. RAID 1 - 750 ATA (SEAGATE)
>> >
>> > So the 300 Sata is set as top priority book, and it still did not work
>> > for
>> > me... Is there anything else I can do.
>> >
>> > THanks Greg

Captain Roberts

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA

"Sopel" <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Carl
>
> How to I go about changing this? I never in my life added a HDD, do i do
> all this in BIOS?

Have you heard about Geek Squad? It is part of Best Buy. Otherwise, post
your computer specs here, make & model of computer/motherboard/bios revision
..

Captain Roberts

andy

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
You should provide more specific details, such as:
1. Make and model of the motherboard or model number of HP computer,
and
2. Make and model of the ATA PCI adapter,

Does the computer boot into Vista with the ATA PCI adapter installed,
but with the 750GB Seagate not connected to it?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:55:00 -0700, Sopel
<Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, Carl
>
>How to I go about changing this? I never in my life added a HDD, do i do
>all this in BIOS?
>
>"Carl G" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sopel
>> Acording to your bios setings there , it says you are running a raid setup.
>> ARE YOU ?
>> If no , you have to change that setting . Sounds like it is looking for a
>> Raid setup to boot to and you have none.
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Carl G
>>
>> "Sopel" <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I set the Ribbon to master, and I set the Jumper to Cable as you spcified,
>> > still did not work.
>> >
>> > Then as instructed I went to Setup/BIOS
>> > Went to HDD Group Boot Priority, and this is what it has
>> >
>> > 1. RAID 0 - 300 SATA
>> > 2. RAID 1 - 750 ATA (SEAGATE)
>> >
>> > So the 300 Sata is set as top priority book, and it still did not work for
>> > me... Is there anything else I can do.
>> >
>> > THanks Greg

Sopel

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
Ok,

My computer is a HP Pavilion m7480n (Silver Model previous generation of HP
Towers 2006), i looked at the motherboard and on it it says PSLP-LE Rev 1.05
in big white text, no other text is visable.

The PCI card I recently purchased is GXT PCI Ultra ATA/133, when the PCI
card is connected alone computer boots up fine, but when i plug in the
IDE/ATA Harddrive it gives me a black screen just before the windows loading
bar.

When I start the computer and go into BIOS or when it first starts up it
shows 4 IDE ports and it lists the ATA/IDE drive on one of them that it is
connected,and in the BIOS when I go there it shows it listed there too. But
I cant get into the desktop with it.

Just recently I tried disconecting my CDROM drive and connecting it in its
place, the drive is not detected and does not show up in Computer management
(storage). And when comptuer boots up it doesnt show the harddrive when it
lists the IDE ports.

"andy" wrote:

> You should provide more specific details, such as:
> 1. Make and model of the motherboard or model number of HP computer,
> and
> 2. Make and model of the ATA PCI adapter,
>
> Does the computer boot into Vista with the ATA PCI adapter installed,
> but with the 750GB Seagate not connected to it?
>
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:55:00 -0700, Sopel
> <Sopel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello, Carl
> >
> >How to I go about changing this? I never in my life added a HDD, do i do
> >all this in BIOS?
> >
> >"Carl G" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Sopel
> >> Acording to your bios setings there , it says you are running a raid setup.
> >> ARE YOU ?
> >> If no , you have to change that setting . Sounds like it is looking for a
> >> Raid setup to boot to and you have none.
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carl G

Captain Roberts

Re: Trouble Installing ATA HDD on VISTA
Sopel, could you take a webcam or digital cam image of the IDE cable you are
using, and post it here or a link to the image if you don't like posting
attachments? If there is writing on both ends of the cable, make sure it is
readable.

Captain Roberts