USB hub

Scott

USB hub
I just purchased two 4-port USB 2.0 hubs. One is marked to comply with
Vista and one does not. When I inserted into one of ports on my desktop pc
that is running Vista Home Premium Edition, Windows asks for a driver to
install. I tried both on Windows XP pc without any problem. Can someone
advise me the possible issues and fixes.

Thanks,

Scott

Captain Roberts

Re: USB hub

"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased two 4-port USB 2.0 hubs. One is marked to comply with
>Vista and one does not. When I inserted into one of ports on my desktop pc
>that is running Vista Home Premium Edition, Windows asks for a driver to
>install. I tried both on Windows XP pc without any problem. Can someone
>advise me the possible issues and fixes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Scott, have you tried allowing Windows to install the driver? It is a USB
Hub driver that it is trying to install, and it should be on your system
already. It just needs to install.

Captain Roberts

Scott

Re: USB hub
Captain,

I have allowed Windows to install the driver from local computer and Windows
Update without success. Vista supposts to be better system than Windows XP
and for such simple item, it does not to a normal user. Any other guidance
to fix it or where the drivers are?

Thanks,

Scott

"Captain Roberts" <none@given.hyar> bl
news:%235IWEqPsHHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl g...

> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message
>>I just purchased two 4-port USB 2.0 hubs. One is marked to comply with
>>Vista and one does not. When I inserted into one of ports on my desktop
>>pc that is running Vista Home Premium Edition, Windows asks for a driver
>>to install. I tried both on Windows XP pc without any problem. Can
>>someone advise me the possible issues and fixes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott

> Scott, have you tried allowing Windows to install the driver? It is a USB
> Hub driver that it is trying to install, and it should be on your system
> already. It just needs to install.
>
> Captain Roberts

Don

Re: USB hub
Scott wrote:
> Captain,
>
> I have allowed Windows to install the driver from local computer and
> Windows Update without success. Vista supposts to be better system than
> Windows XP and for such simple item, it does not to a normal user. Any
> other guidance to fix it or where the drivers are?

Yes, this is certainly a Vista bug and will eventually be fixed. Try
deleting \windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 which may be corrupted. You will need
to edit its file permissions to give full control to the Users group
before you can delete the file.

PvdG42

Re: USB hub

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
>> Captain,
>>
>> I have allowed Windows to install the driver from local computer and
>> Windows Update without success. Vista supposts to be better system than
>> Windows XP and for such simple item, it does not to a normal user. Any
>> other guidance to fix it or where the drivers are?

> Yes, this is certainly a Vista bug and will eventually be fixed. Try
> deleting \windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 which may be corrupted. You will need
> to edit its file permissions to give full control to the Users group
> before you can delete the file.

And if deleting INFCACHE.1 doesn't work? Are there other steps to try to get
USB mass storage devices to work?

I read elsewhere that possibly copying usbstor.inf and usbstor.sys from an
XP machine might help, but Vista cannot recognize/install those drivers.

Any other workarounds or suggestions?

Don

Re: USB hub
PvdG42 wrote:

> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Scott wrote:
>>> Captain,
>>>
>>> I have allowed Windows to install the driver from local computer and
>>> Windows Update without success. Vista supposts to be better system than
>>> Windows XP and for such simple item, it does not to a normal user. Any
>>> other guidance to fix it or where the drivers are?

>> Yes, this is certainly a Vista bug and will eventually be fixed. Try
>> deleting \windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 which may be corrupted. You will need
>> to edit its file permissions to give full control to the Users group
>> before you can delete the file.

> And if deleting INFCACHE.1 doesn't work?

Even if it doesn't help, it won't hurt anything so the risk is zero.

> Are there other steps to try to get USB mass storage devices to work?

Possibly, but I don't know.

> I read elsewhere that possibly copying usbstor.inf and usbstor.sys from
> an XP machine might help, but Vista cannot recognize/install those drivers.

This should absolutely *not* be necessary! Vista already has all the
required drivers for USB mass storage devices and adding XP drivers to
the mix will just confuse things even more.

Scott

Re: USB hub
Don,

Thanks for your useful advice. It works to my issue successfully.

I have to edit the file permissions as you explained although the user
account is of a member of administrator group. It is obviously different
from Windows XP. I would be grateful if you could explain the reasons to
have such changes.

Thanks,

Scott

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
>> Captain,
>>
>> I have allowed Windows to install the driver from local computer and
>> Windows Update without success. Vista supposts to be better system than
>> Windows XP and for such simple item, it does not to a normal user. Any
>> other guidance to fix it or where the drivers are?

> Yes, this is certainly a Vista bug and will eventually be fixed. Try
> deleting \windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 which may be corrupted. You will need
> to edit its file permissions to give full control to the Users group
> before you can delete the file.

freddy

Re: USB hub
Scott,

The following link contains a good explanation of security in Vista:

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/security/uac.aspx
--
freddy

"Scott" wrote:

> Don,
>
> Thanks for your useful advice. It works to my issue successfully.
>
> I have to edit the file permissions as you explained although the user
> account is of a member of administrator group. It is obviously different
> from Windows XP. I would be grateful if you could explain the reasons to
> have such changes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Scott wrote:
> >> Captain,
> >>
> >> I have allowed Windows to install the driver from local computer and
> >> Windows Update without success. Vista supposts to be better system than
> >> Windows XP and for such simple item, it does not to a normal user. Any
> >> other guidance to fix it or where the drivers are?

> > Yes, this is certainly a Vista bug and will eventually be fixed. Try
> > deleting \windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 which may be corrupted. You will need
> > to edit its file permissions to give full control to the Users group
> > before you can delete the file.

Scott

Re: USB hub
Freddy,

Thanks for your useful information.

Scott

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> 在郵件
news:15B18ACF-801D-453A-9EAB-EC224BF9CAD5@microsoft.com *撰寫...
> Scott,
>
> The following link contains a good explanation of security in Vista:
>
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/security/uac.aspx
> --
> freddy
>

> "Scott" wrote:
>
>> Don,
>>
>> Thanks for your useful advice. It works to my issue successfully.
>>
>> I have to edit the file permissions as you explained although the user
>> account is of a member of administrator group. It is obviously different
>> from Windows XP. I would be grateful if you could explain the reasons to
>> have such changes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Yes, this is certainly a Vista bug and will eventually be fixed. Try
>> > deleting \windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 which may be corrupted. You will need
>> > to edit its file permissions to give full control to the Users group
>> > before you can delete the file.

Thode

Re: USB hub
Hi

Thanks for the tip. I have tryed to install Logitech Easycall Desktop, who
has a USB hub. it cud'nt find the USB driver, After deleting
c:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 all the drivers was installing correct.