swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium

Griffinspc

swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium
OK, I've searched all over and get no clear answer. I installed an upgrade
Vista Home Premium OEM. The OS is working fine but incredibaly slow. I'm
running an Athlon XP2200+ which is fine but the problem is the motherboard,
it only allows up to 1GB PC2100 RAM. I need to install a new mobo that will
allow a memory upgrade to 2GBs and something higher than old PC2100. Now the
big question, everything here is legal but it sounds like Microsoft will
prohibit this hardware upgrade as it is to them, a new machine unless I put
the same make / model of motherboard back in.

What are my options here?

Thanks.
--
See http://forums.techguy.org/ for some great free help
Renegadechickenhead

RE: swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium
When i built my new pc i used a retail upgrade of Home premium, that was
authorised to my previous computer. i contacted Microsoft and it was not a
proble, they gave me the authorisation code over the phone to enable me to re
activate Vista. No problemns/no hassles.

Not sure if this works with OEM. Contact Microsft vis email and they will
help you.
"Griffinspc" wrote:

> OK, I've searched all over and get no clear answer. I installed an upgrade
> Vista Home Premium OEM. The OS is working fine but incredibaly slow. I'm
> running an Athlon XP2200+ which is fine but the problem is the motherboard,
> it only allows up to 1GB PC2100 RAM. I need to install a new mobo that will
> allow a memory upgrade to 2GBs and something higher than old PC2100. Now the
> big question, everything here is legal but it sounds like Microsoft will
> prohibit this hardware upgrade as it is to them, a new machine unless I put
> the same make / model of motherboard back in.
>
> What are my options here?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> See http://forums.techguy.org/ for some great free help

freddy

RE: swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium
Griffinspc,

Her is a link with considerable information on reinstalling Vista:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

The site contains a lot of information, so look around but click on the
Vista link to get started.
--
freddy

"Griffinspc" wrote:

> OK, I've searched all over and get no clear answer. I installed an upgrade
> Vista Home Premium OEM. The OS is working fine but incredibaly slow. I'm
> running an Athlon XP2200+ which is fine but the problem is the motherboard,
> it only allows up to 1GB PC2100 RAM. I need to install a new mobo that will
> allow a memory upgrade to 2GBs and something higher than old PC2100. Now the
> big question, everything here is legal but it sounds like Microsoft will
> prohibit this hardware upgrade as it is to them, a new machine unless I put
> the same make / model of motherboard back in.
>
> What are my options here?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> See http://forums.techguy.org/ for some great free help

Griffinspc

RE: swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium
Thanks guys but neither reply answers the basic question. I've been all over
Microsoft's knowledgebase and Vista site and checked numerous forums but no
one seems to really know the anwer. If I buy and install a new motherboard
then try to re-activate my Vista license and it fails I'm doubly screwed. As
to asking Microsoft they want $59.00 for that little answer. Geeze!
freddy

RE: swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium
Griffinspc,

The answer is likely in your End User Agreement, and if you're like me you
probably threw it away (I'm using OEM). Do this, use google to search on OEM
End User Agreement. I'll bet you find the answer.
--
freddy

"Griffinspc" wrote:

> Thanks guys but neither reply answers the basic question. I've been all over
> Microsoft's knowledgebase and Vista site and checked numerous forums but no
> one seems to really know the anwer. If I buy and install a new motherboard
> then try to re-activate my Vista license and it fails I'm doubly screwed. As
> to asking Microsoft they want $59.00 for that little answer. Geeze!

Captain Roberts

"Griffinspc" <griffinspc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK, I've searched all over and get no clear answer. I installed an upgrade
> Vista Home Premium OEM. The OS is working fine but incredibaly slow. I'm
> running an Athlon XP2200+ which is fine but the problem is the
> motherboard,
> it only allows up to 1GB PC2100 RAM. I need to install a new mobo that
> will
> allow a memory upgrade to 2GBs and something higher than old PC2100. Now
> the
> big question, everything here is legal but it sounds like Microsoft will
> prohibit this hardware upgrade as it is to them, a new machine unless I
> put
> the same make / model of motherboard back in.
>
> What are my options here?
>
> Thanks.

You can NOT use the same key with the new motherboard since you purchased an
OEM copy. Only with retail can you do this.

mikeyhsd

Re: swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium
technically you can upgrade anything but the motherboard.
a LITTLE white untruth would not hurt
you upgraded hard drives and added memory.

after all ms has not lived up to its responsibility of providing updated programs and drivers for its own programs/hardware.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Griffinspc" <griffinspc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3904E0A4-7361-4745-91B1-D079821110D8@microsoft.com...
OK, I've searched all over and get no clear answer. I installed an upgrade
Vista Home Premium OEM. The OS is working fine but incredibaly slow. I'm
running an Athlon XP2200+ which is fine but the problem is the motherboard,
it only allows up to 1GB PC2100 RAM. I need to install a new mobo that will
allow a memory upgrade to 2GBs and something higher than old PC2100. Now the
big question, everything here is legal but it sounds like Microsoft will
prohibit this hardware upgrade as it is to them, a new machine unless I put
the same make / model of motherboard back in.

What are my options here?

Thanks.
--
See http://forums.techguy.org/ for some great free help

cmosentine

Kaz;349025 Wrote:
> Hi I've heard elsewhere, that if you ring up MS and tell them that you
> have blown your mobo, i.e after a memory upgrade or similar....and say
> that you want to replace the mobo but have an OEM version of Vista
> installed then MS will issue you with a new product key without to many
> problems,.... doesn't hurt to ask anyway, worst they can say is no..!!!
> and then you know that you'll either have to put up with your current
> setup or fork out for a retail version or a new OEM version of WIndows,
> incidentally a new OEM Vista Home Premium can be bought on Amazon quite
> reasonably priced...but you will then have no tech support.

YES, this absolutely works. I just did it two weeks ago. A better
yet, if you reinstall again, your new mobo will get recognized as the
"owner" and activation will proceed normally.

Chris

--
cmosentine
PsychoRich

Re: swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium
I have a regular OEM Vista Premium I bought at Amazon, (no specific
manufactuer on dvd), and it appears I can go ahead and upgrade my motherboard
and get it activated if I call MS, and explain my old mobo went South on me.

My question is this: What about my old software?
Will I be able to repair Vista on the new motherboard to the point it
reconises my previous software installs of other programs I own like Office
2003, and Adobe products? Or will I need to reinstall all that too?

I'm asking because I may as well format hdd if I need to reinstall
everything; but I would rather just upgrade my mobo to one with more sata
ports on it, and carry on from where I am at now. TIA for answer.