Question about DVD burning

Erich Kohl

Question about DVD burning
Does Vista's built-in DVD burning capabilities support dual-layer media?

I should note that I'm not necessarily referring only to Windows DVD
Maker, but also the act of burning data DVDs intended to hold regular
files (using the Live File System, for example).

freddy

RE: Question about DVD burning
Erich,

A good source of information on Vista's built-in burning capabilities is the
Windows Help and Support application. You find it under Start. Launch Help
and Support and, in the Search window, type something like DVD burning. That
app is loaded with everything you always wanted to learn but didn't know how
to ask.
--
freddy

"Erich Kohl" wrote:

> Does Vista's built-in DVD burning capabilities support dual-layer media?
>
> I should note that I'm not necessarily referring only to Windows DVD
> Maker, but also the act of burning data DVDs intended to hold regular
> files (using the Live File System, for example).

Captain Roberts

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Erich,
>
> A good source of information on Vista's built-in burning capabilities is
> the
> Windows Help and Support application. You find it under Start. Launch
> Help
> and Support and, in the Search window, type something like DVD burning.
> That
> app is loaded with everything you always wanted to learn but didn't know
> how
> to ask.
> --
> freddy

Freddy, not a helpful answer. Did you even try it yourself before you
posted?

Erich, just pop a dual-layer DVD into the drive while running Vista and see
if it works. ;0)

Captain Roberts

freddy

Re: Question about DVD burning
Yes sir, I use it all the time. It's there for a reason.
--
freddy

"Captain Roberts" wrote:

> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> > Erich,
> >
> > A good source of information on Vista's built-in burning capabilities is
> > the
> > Windows Help and Support application. You find it under Start. Launch
> > Help
> > and Support and, in the Search window, type something like DVD burning.
> > That
> > app is loaded with everything you always wanted to learn but didn't know
> > how
> > to ask.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> Freddy, not a helpful answer. Did you even try it yourself before you
> posted?
>
> Erich, just pop a dual-layer DVD into the drive while running Vista and see
> if it works. ;0)
>
> Captain Roberts

Captain Roberts

> Yes sir, I use it all the time. It's there for a reason.
> --
> freddy

Well, your eyes must be better than mine. I couldn't see any reference to
dual-layer media DVD writing on the help page. If it is there, could you
be kind enough to post the content here? Thanks so much.

Captain Roberts

Erich Kohl

Captain Roberts wrote:

> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> > Erich,
> >
> > A good source of information on Vista's built-in burning
> > capabilities is the Windows Help and Support application. You
> > find it under Start. Launch Help and Support and, in the Search
> > window, type something like DVD burning. That app is loaded with
> > everything you always wanted to learn but didn't know how to ask.
> > -- freddy
> >

> Freddy, not a helpful answer. Did you even try it yourself before
> you posted?
>
> Erich, just pop a dual-layer DVD into the drive while running Vista
> and see if it works. ;0)
>
> Captain Roberts

That's what I plan on doing. :-)

Erich Kohl

freddy wrote:

> Yes sir, I use it all the time. It's there for a reason.

Very true. I did consult the online help before I posted here, but was
unable to find any info on whether dual-layer media is supported.

Perhaps I will check again . . . maybe I overlooked it. :-)

Erich Kohl

freddy wrote:

> Yes sir, I use it all the time. It's there for a reason.

Found it under Frequently Asked Questions. Yes, it appears that it's
supported.

I think the reason I skipped that help section at first was because it
actually says "DVD Video Burning FAQ." I was interested in information
about *data* DVDs to hold backup files of my documents instead.

Thanks to both of you. :-)

freddy

Re: Question about DVD burning
Erich,

Thank you for your support. It's good to know you made an effort to resolve
your question. Too often people rely on others to provide answers to resolve
even the most simple of questions. People should always make a good effort
to help themselves, and you did this, but I didn't know that at the time. I
often refer people to the Help and Support feature so they can see all the
valuable information there, in the hope that they'll start using it.
--
freddy