ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?

ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?
Erm, think i asked the question in the subject line. may have over done it. :-)
Basically i got a vista ultimate comp coming next week, and really need an
internal pci fax modem for work on this system.
Anyone know if the zoom mentioned above will be compatable?
Or name a pci fax modem that will certainly work?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks :-)
freddy

RE: ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatibility?
e,

Any fully hardware based PCI modem will work. A hardware based modem is a
modem with a Controller and a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) on-board (chips
on the board). A software based modem performs those two function by
software. In that case, everything must be Vista compatible, and that is
where you can get into trouble.

A fully hardware based modem needs no extra software to function properly.
When you install it, Windows will provide everything you need to make it
work. For the FAX function, install the FAX that is bundled with Windows,
thus no issues there either. Likely the best fully hardware based modem
available is the U.S. Robotics Performance Pro, costing about $70, give or
take a little depending on the deal you find.
--
freddy

"e" wrote:

> Erm, think i asked the question in the subject line. may have over done it. :-)
> Basically i got a vista ultimate comp coming next week, and really need an
> internal pci fax modem for work on this system.
> Anyone know if the zoom mentioned above will be compatable?
> Or name a pci fax modem that will certainly work?
>
> Any help gratefully received.
>
> Thanks :-)

freddy

RE: ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?
e,

I took the step on checking at the Zoom website, and I can tell you that the
3025 is half hardware and half software controlled. It has on-board DSP but
a software controller. The Zoom 2920 is a fully hardware based modem. This
will work with Vista with no further software needed.
--
freddy

"e" wrote:

> Erm, think i asked the question in the subject line. may have over done it. :-)
> Basically i got a vista ultimate comp coming next week, and really need an
> internal pci fax modem for work on this system.
> Anyone know if the zoom mentioned above will be compatable?
> Or name a pci fax modem that will certainly work?
>
> Any help gratefully received.
>
> Thanks :-)

RE: ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?
Thanks Freddy,
i will try and get hold of a cheapo fully hardware driven pci modem like you
suggested. Although i think i would prefer something nearer the $20,
therefore £10 jobby rather than anything too expensive. :-)
Thinking on it, maybe the standard fax functions may work on it, even if the
software driver stuff like call waiting, hold call stuff won't?
Might be a case of test it and see. :-(
Thankyou for your help mate.

"freddy" wrote:

> e,
>
> I took the step on checking at the Zoom website, and I can tell you that the
> 3025 is half hardware and half software controlled. It has on-board DSP but
> a software controller. The Zoom 2920 is a fully hardware based modem. This
> will work with Vista with no further software needed.
> --
> freddy
>

> "e" wrote:
>
> > Erm, think i asked the question in the subject line. may have over done it. :-)
> > Basically i got a vista ultimate comp coming next week, and really need an
> > internal pci fax modem for work on this system.
> > Anyone know if the zoom mentioned above will be compatable?
> > Or name a pci fax modem that will certainly work?
> >
> > Any help gratefully received.
> >
> > Thanks :-)

freddy

RE: ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?
e,

A cheap $20 fully hardware modem? Good luck on that one. You can find a
cheap fully software modem for that price.
--
freddy

"e" wrote:

> Thanks Freddy,
> i will try and get hold of a cheapo fully hardware driven pci modem like you
> suggested. Although i think i would prefer something nearer the $20,
> therefore £10 jobby rather than anything too expensive. :-)
> Thinking on it, maybe the standard fax functions may work on it, even if the
> software driver stuff like call waiting, hold call stuff won't?
> Might be a case of test it and see. :-(
> Thankyou for your help mate.

> "freddy" wrote:
>
> > e,
> >
> > I took the step on checking at the Zoom website, and I can tell you that the
> > 3025 is half hardware and half software controlled. It has on-board DSP but
> > a software controller. The Zoom 2920 is a fully hardware based modem. This
> > will work with Vista with no further software needed.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "e" wrote:
> >
> > > Erm, think i asked the question in the subject line. may have over done it. :-)
> > > Basically i got a vista ultimate comp coming next week, and really need an
> > > internal pci fax modem for work on this system.
> > > Anyone know if the zoom mentioned above will be compatable?
> > > Or name a pci fax modem that will certainly work?
> > >
> > > Any help gratefully received.
> > >
> > > Thanks :-)

freddy

RE: ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?
e,

I neglected to include some comments in my former post. If you manage to
find a $20 fully hardware modem, all comments I make about any such modem
working in Vista are not applicable. I have no idea what such a modem would
use for chipsets or whether Vista would recognize them. If you find such a
modem, check compatibility carefully.

Also, if you intend to use features, even with a high quality hardware
modem, such as call waiting, my comments about it working are also off. Any
feature requiring software to work will have a compatibility issue. Confirm
any compatibility questions with the modem manufacturer or vendor. You can
also check the Microsoft hardware compatibility list to resolve compatibility
questions.

This stuff gets complicated, and I have no intention of giving the
impression that I have knowledge about every possible situation that exists
in using a modem.
--
freddy

"e" wrote:

> Thanks Freddy,
> i will try and get hold of a cheapo fully hardware driven pci modem like you
> suggested. Although i think i would prefer something nearer the $20,
> therefore £10 jobby rather than anything too expensive. :-)
> Thinking on it, maybe the standard fax functions may work on it, even if the
> software driver stuff like call waiting, hold call stuff won't?
> Might be a case of test it and see. :-(
> Thankyou for your help mate.

> "freddy" wrote:
>
> > e,
> >
> > I took the step on checking at the Zoom website, and I can tell you that the
> > 3025 is half hardware and half software controlled. It has on-board DSP but
> > a software controller. The Zoom 2920 is a fully hardware based modem. This
> > will work with Vista with no further software needed.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "e" wrote:
> >
> > > Erm, think i asked the question in the subject line. may have over done it. :-)
> > > Basically i got a vista ultimate comp coming next week, and really need an
> > > internal pci fax modem for work on this system.
> > > Anyone know if the zoom mentioned above will be compatable?
> > > Or name a pci fax modem that will certainly work?
> > >
> > > Any help gratefully received.
> > >
> > > Thanks :-)

freddy

RE: ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?
e,

I'm always having additional thoughts. Here is my latest one: If you are
on a budget, the best approach is to find a soft modem that's compatible with
Vista. I'm sure there are some to be found. I'm now finished. Big relief,
yes?
--
freddy

"e" wrote:

> Thanks Freddy,
> i will try and get hold of a cheapo fully hardware driven pci modem like you
> suggested. Although i think i would prefer something nearer the $20,
> therefore £10 jobby rather than anything too expensive. :-)
> Thinking on it, maybe the standard fax functions may work on it, even if the
> software driver stuff like call waiting, hold call stuff won't?
> Might be a case of test it and see. :-(
> Thankyou for your help mate.

> "freddy" wrote:
>
> > e,
> >
> > I took the step on checking at the Zoom website, and I can tell you that the
> > 3025 is half hardware and half software controlled. It has on-board DSP but
> > a software controller. The Zoom 2920 is a fully hardware based modem. This
> > will work with Vista with no further software needed.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "e" wrote:
> >
> > > Erm, think i asked the question in the subject line. may have over done it. :-)
> > > Basically i got a vista ultimate comp coming next week, and really need an
> > > internal pci fax modem for work on this system.
> > > Anyone know if the zoom mentioned above will be compatable?
> > > Or name a pci fax modem that will certainly work?
> > >
> > > Any help gratefully received.
> > >
> > > Thanks :-)

RE: ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?
Well mate, i gotta tell ya.....
After spending a whole day reading vendors and producers and tech sites....
and still could not find out for certain whether any pci modem would work....
this including microsoft itself. i was left to bend your ear!
And funny enough i even phoned ZOOM themselves, and still could not get a
definitive answer.
Based on the complexity that you revealed to me, i could not work out what
was hardware, what was software, and what was inbetween.
SO i decided to buy myself a £9 SOFTWARE modem today, and have 32 bit vista
drivers for it! :-)
I came to the same conclusion mate.
Thanks for the help :-)

"freddy" wrote:

> e,
>
> I'm always having additional thoughts. Here is my latest one: If you are
> on a budget, the best approach is to find a soft modem that's compatible with
> Vista. I'm sure there are some to be found. I'm now finished. Big relief,
> yes?
> --
> freddy
>

> "e" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Freddy,
> > i will try and get hold of a cheapo fully hardware driven pci modem like you
> > suggested. Although i think i would prefer something nearer the $20,
> > therefore £10 jobby rather than anything too expensive. :-)
> > Thinking on it, maybe the standard fax functions may work on it, even if the
> > software driver stuff like call waiting, hold call stuff won't?
> > Might be a case of test it and see. :-(
> > Thankyou for your help mate.

> > "freddy" wrote:
> >
> > > e,
> > >
> > > I took the step on checking at the Zoom website, and I can tell you that the
> > > 3025 is half hardware and half software controlled. It has on-board DSP but
> > > a software controller. The Zoom 2920 is a fully hardware based modem. This
> > > will work with Vista with no further software needed.
> > > --
> > > freddy

freddy

RE: ZOOM 3025 PCI V.92 data fax modem vista compatability?
e,

However, the two (U.S. Robotics and Zoom) hardware modems mentioned in my
earlier post will work in Vista, guaranteed! Even so, your budget
constraints prohibits you from using them. The only function that I wouldn't
guarantee to work with those two modems is the call waiting function,
because that function depends on software, and that software must be
compatible with Vista. Apart from that, those two modems will work, in case
anyone is thinking about this situation and got confused from all the
comments.
--
freddy