Vista unable to read DVD

akunal@gmail.com

Vista unable to read DVD
Vista Home Premium, 2 GB RAM, 32-bit, Sony Vaio system.

When I insert a DVD in the DVD-RW drive, nothing seems to happen. The
DVD light flashes for a while, then stops.

Starting Media Center, WinDVD, etc., doesn't help. For example, with
the DVD in the drive, when I start MediaCenter, I see the message
"Windows Media Center cannot detect a video DVD in the DVD-ROM drive.
Insert a video DVD in the drive".

(this is a DVD RW drive).

Windows Explorer and AnyDVD say that there's nothing in the drive. AVS
DVD player says that its either an unsupported file format or an
unsupported codec.

*** The DVD plays just fine on Windows XP!! ***

Please help!

freddy

RE: Vista unable to read DVD
akunal,

Your condition can have multiple causes. The following is a link to a
Microsoft article describing one such cause. Look it over to see whether the
contents apply to your situation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Others may have additional information.
--
freddy

"akunal@gmail.com" wrote:

> Vista Home Premium, 2 GB RAM, 32-bit, Sony Vaio system.
>
> When I insert a DVD in the DVD-RW drive, nothing seems to happen. The
> DVD light flashes for a while, then stops.
>
> Starting Media Center, WinDVD, etc., doesn't help. For example, with
> the DVD in the drive, when I start MediaCenter, I see the message
> "Windows Media Center cannot detect a video DVD in the DVD-ROM drive.
> Insert a video DVD in the drive".
>
> (this is a DVD RW drive).
>
> Windows Explorer and AnyDVD say that there's nothing in the drive. AVS
> DVD player says that its either an unsupported file format or an
> unsupported codec.
>
> *** The DVD plays just fine on Windows XP!! ***
>
> Please help!

akunal@gmail.com

Re: Vista unable to read DVD
Thanks freddy. But this is not an upgraded system. It's a brand new
machine that came installed with Vista.
Additionally, the drive is able to read data CDs with no problems.
-kunal

On Jun 14, 10:50 pm, freddy <fkirsc...@tidalwave.net> wrote:
> akunal,
>
> Your condition can have multiple causes. The following is a link to a
> Microsoft article describing one such cause. Look it over to see whether the
> contents apply to your situation:

> Others may have additional information.
> --
> freddy

freddy

Re: Vista unable to read DVD
akunal,

Another approach, since it's a new system, is to take it back to the vendor
and tell them it doesn't work. A new computer shouldn't do that. However,
you can keep trying to fix it yourself, up to you.
--
freddy

"akunal@gmail.com" wrote:

> Thanks freddy. But this is not an upgraded system. It's a brand new
> machine that came installed with Vista.
> Additionally, the drive is able to read data CDs with no problems.
> -kunal
>
> On Jun 14, 10:50 pm, freddy <fkirsc...@tidalwave.net> wrote:
> > akunal,
> >
> > Your condition can have multiple causes. The following is a link to a
> > Microsoft article describing one such cause. Look it over to see whether the
> > contents apply to your situation:

> > Others may have additional information.
> > --
> > freddy

Paul Smith

Re: Vista unable to read DVD
There's been a few cases of some DVD drives not reading DVDs, this isn't
operating system specific, but is an issue with the drive.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*