Vista Battery

Guy Thomas

Vista Battery
Goal: To preserve the LONG-TERM life of my battery.
Situation: The laptop is connected to the electricity mains and a battery
is installed. (Normal configuration)
Question: Is there a software, or a registry setting, to disable the battery
and thus stop it from (re-)charging and wearing itself out?
I do realize that I can just release it and remove it, but it would be handy
to achieve the same result in software.
Guy

freddy

RE: Vista Battery
Guy,

I don't think you will wear out the battery by leaving it in the laptop and
allowing the built-in battery maintenance/charging system to do its job. You
likely will do more harm by removing the battery and allowing nature to take
its course.
--
freddy

"Guy Thomas" wrote:

> Goal: To preserve the LONG-TERM life of my battery.
> Situation: The laptop is connected to the electricity mains and a battery
> is installed. (Normal configuration)
> Question: Is there a software, or a registry setting, to disable the battery
> and thus stop it from (re-)charging and wearing itself out?
> I do realize that I can just release it and remove it, but it would be handy
> to achieve the same result in software.
> Guy

TomLives2000

Re: Vista Battery
I bought a travel charger that came with a pass through option on the power
supply. I can charge or simply pass the current through to run the machine.
It also works well in air/boat/or car. Although I would never take it on a
boat.
"Guy Thomas" <guy@computerperformance.co.uk> wrote in message
> Goal: To preserve the LONG-TERM life of my battery.
> Situation: The laptop is connected to the electricity mains and a battery
> is installed. (Normal configuration)
> Question: Is there a software, or a registry setting, to disable the
> battery and thus stop it from (re-)charging and wearing itself out?
> I do realize that I can just release it and remove it, but it would be
> handy to achieve the same result in software.
> Guy

Guy Thomas

Re: Vista Battery
Dear Tom (and Freddy)

Many thanks for your advice.

I guess that the lack of other replies means that I have not missed anything
really obvious.

Guy

"TomLives2000" <here@home.com> wrote in message
news:f5Fci.19649$C96.7153@newssvr23.news.prodigy.n et...
>I bought a travel charger that came with a pass through option on the power
>supply. I can charge or simply pass the current through to run the machine.
>It also works well in air/boat/or car. Although I would never take it on a
>boat.
> "Guy Thomas" <guy@computerperformance.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Goal: To preserve the LONG-TERM life of my battery.
>> Situation: The laptop is connected to the electricity mains and a
>> battery is installed. (Normal configuration)
>> Question: Is there a software, or a registry setting, to disable the
>> battery and thus stop it from (re-)charging and wearing itself out?
>> I do realize that I can just release it and remove it, but it would be
>> handy to achieve the same result in software.
>> Guy

JW

Re: Vista Battery
I Goggled for
"
disable notebook battery
"
and got lots of hits and looked at the first two results and found them
both interesting.

> Dear Tom (and Freddy)
>
> Many thanks for your advice.
>
> I guess that the lack of other replies means that I have not missed
> anything really obvious.
>
> Guy
>
> "TomLives2000" <here@home.com> wrote in message
> news:f5Fci.19649$C96.7153@newssvr23.news.prodigy.n et...
>>I bought a travel charger that came with a pass through option on the
>>power supply. I can charge or simply pass the current through to run the
>>machine. It also works well in air/boat/or car. Although I would never
>>take it on a boat.
>> "Guy Thomas" <guy@computerperformance.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Goal: To preserve the LONG-TERM life of my battery.
>>> Situation: The laptop is connected to the electricity mains and a
>>> battery is installed. (Normal configuration)
>>> Question: Is there a software, or a registry setting, to disable the
>>> battery and thus stop it from (re-)charging and wearing itself out?
>>> I do realize that I can just release it and remove it, but it would be
>>> handy to achieve the same result in software.
>>> Guy

H.J.k

RE: Vista Battery
My friend i think i might have stubbled on the solution to your problem... so
that my notebook is plugged in but the battery is in not charging even though
itsnot at a 100%, but i'm not sure how i did it... the thing is that i can
use the battery but i can't charge it !?! So i'm just warning you BE CAREFUl
you might regret it... Hey and if u know a solution to my problem that would
be pretty great

H.J.K

"Guy Thomas" wrote:

> Goal: To preserve the LONG-TERM life of my battery.
> Situation: The laptop is connected to the electricity mains and a battery
> is installed. (Normal configuration)
> Question: Is there a software, or a registry setting, to disable the battery
> and thus stop it from (re-)charging and wearing itself out?
> I do realize that I can just release it and remove it, but it would be handy
> to achieve the same result in software.
> Guy

Gary G. Little

Re: Vista Battery
Did you try System Restore?

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

"H.J.k" <H.J.k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My friend i think i might have stubbled on the solution to your problem...
> so
> that my notebook is plugged in but the battery is in not charging even
> though
> itsnot at a 100%, but i'm not sure how i did it... the thing is that i can
> use the battery but i can't charge it !?! So i'm just warning you BE
> CAREFUl
> you might regret it... Hey and if u know a solution to my problem that
> would
> be pretty great
>
> H.J.K
>
> "Guy Thomas" wrote:
>
>> Goal: To preserve the LONG-TERM life of my battery.
>> Situation: The laptop is connected to the electricity mains and a
>> battery
>> is installed. (Normal configuration)
>> Question: Is there a software, or a registry setting, to disable the
>> battery
>> and thus stop it from (re-)charging and wearing itself out?
>> I do realize that I can just release it and remove it, but it would be
>> handy
>> to achieve the same result in software.
>> Guy

H.J.k

Re: Vista Battery
Ya i did. (last night) ... but now I'm thinking it might be the battery or
the recharging bit of the notebook. I'm really not sure...
I'm now thinking maybe i should set mycomputer to factory defaults that
myight work...but i really don't wanna spend eternity installing all my
programs again and getting the setting just right

"Gary G. Little" wrote:

> Did you try System Restore?
>
> --
> The personal opinion of
> Gary G. Little
>
> "H.J.k" <H.J.k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My friend i think i might have stubbled on the solution to your problem...
> > so
> > that my notebook is plugged in but the battery is in not charging even
> > though
> > itsnot at a 100%, but i'm not sure how i did it... the thing is that i can
> > use the battery but i can't charge it !?! So i'm just warning you BE
> > CAREFUl
> > you might regret it... Hey and if u know a solution to my problem that
> > would
> > be pretty great
> >
> > H.J.K
> >
> > "Guy Thomas" wrote:
> >
> >> Goal: To preserve the LONG-TERM life of my battery.
> >> Situation: The laptop is connected to the electricity mains and a
> >> battery
> >> is installed. (Normal configuration)
> >> Question: Is there a software, or a registry setting, to disable the
> >> battery
> >> and thus stop it from (re-)charging and wearing itself out?
> >> I do realize that I can just release it and remove it, but it would be
> >> handy
> >> to achieve the same result in software.
> >> Guy

JW

Re: Vista Battery
It may be that the charging system on your notebook does not start charging
until the battery level gets below a certain point since battery life is
related to the number of times the battery is charged so you don't want it
constantly charging whenever the level is less than 100%.

> Ya i did. (last night) ... but now I'm thinking it might be the battery or
> the recharging bit of the notebook. I'm really not sure...
> I'm now thinking maybe i should set mycomputer to factory defaults that
> myight work...but i really don't wanna spend eternity installing all my
> programs again and getting the setting just right
>

> "Gary G. Little" wrote:
>
>> Did you try System Restore?
>>
>> --
>> The personal opinion of
>> Gary G. Little
>>
>> "H.J.k" <H.J.k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My friend i think i might have stubbled on the solution to your
>> > problem...
>> > so
>> > that my notebook is plugged in but the battery is in not charging even
>> > though
>> > itsnot at a 100%, but i'm not sure how i did it... the thing is that i
>> > can
>> > use the battery but i can't charge it !?! So i'm just warning you BE
>> > CAREFUl
>> > you might regret it... Hey and if u know a solution to my problem that
>> > would
>> > be pretty great
>> >
>> > H.J.K

H.J.k

Re: Vista Battery
WOW that sounds really logical... i'm gonna try it ASAP
By the way would this be a new feature on windows OS???
Cuz i have recharged my battery twice till now but it was down to 30 or so
%... but i got concerned when the battery was at 95% and it woudn't
recharge... so thank u for your reply.

with regards
HjK