PC "Air Card" with VISTA

Randy_Butler

PC "Air Card" with VISTA
Hello. I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A205 laptop. I also purchased a
UT Starcom PC5750 air card from Alltel. The card will work on my XP system
but it wont work on my new laptop running VISTA. I am getting the run around
from Alltel, Toshiba and Microsoft. Alltell says its compatible on their
websites and in the store. Can some one please help troubleshoot why its not
working on my new laptop? I am so frustrated right now, I am considering
taking it back and buying a APPLE at this point.
PvdG42

Re: PC "Air Card" with VISTA

"Randy_Butler" <Randy_Butler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD1CC4C3-1D33-4513-AD25-67795AD449DE@microsoft.com...
> Hello. I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A205 laptop. I also purchased
> UT Starcom PC5750 air card from Alltel. The card will work on my XP system
> but it wont work on my new laptop running VISTA. I am getting the run
> around
> from Alltel, Toshiba and Microsoft. Alltell says its compatible on their
> websites and in the store. Can some one please help troubleshoot why its
> not
> working on my new laptop? I am so frustrated right now, I am considering
> taking it back and buying a APPLE at this point.

Unless Toshiba told you the Alltel "AirCard" would work with their laptop,
as supplied with Vista, you're only getting the runaround from Alltel.
Microsoft is not really a player in your scenario.
I assume that Alltel certifies this product as compatible with Vista and has
supplied Vista drivers? Does UT Starcom certify Vista compatibility as well?
If you need assistance here, please post specifics, such as the
circumstances under which the "AirCard" fails and the full text of any error
messages received. In addition, have you provided details to Alltel
technical support and UT Starcom technical support to engage them in an
interactive resolution process?

http://www.utstar.com/pcd/DataDevices.aspx?sLoc=0

Randy_Butler

Re: PC "Air Card" with VISTA
Alltel tech support says they are not licensed to trouble shoot Vista.
Toshiba wont troubleshoot any third party software. I get no error message at
all, it just doesn't recognize that the PC card is plugged in. It has no
problem on a XP system. On my new laptop, I loaded the CD and installed as
said, when it ask to insert the card, I do and it just sits there doing
nothing. I have left it in over a hour at one point.

"PvdG42" wrote:

> "Randy_Butler" <Randy_Butler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsD1CC4C3-1D33-4513-AD25-67795AD449DE@microsoft.com...
> > Hello. I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A205 laptop. I also purchased
> > UT Starcom PC5750 air card from Alltel. The card will work on my XP system
> > but it wont work on my new laptop running VISTA. I am getting the run
> > around
> > from Alltel, Toshiba and Microsoft. Alltell says its compatible on their
> > websites and in the store. Can some one please help troubleshoot why its
> > not
> > working on my new laptop? I am so frustrated right now, I am considering
> > taking it back and buying a APPLE at this point.

> Unless Toshiba told you the Alltel "AirCard" would work with their laptop,
> as supplied with Vista, you're only getting the runaround from Alltel.
> Microsoft is not really a player in your scenario.
> I assume that Alltel certifies this product as compatible with Vista and has
> supplied Vista drivers? Does UT Starcom certify Vista compatibility as well?
> If you need assistance here, please post specifics, such as the
> circumstances under which the "AirCard" fails and the full text of any error
> messages received. In addition, have you provided details to Alltel
> technical support and UT Starcom technical support to engage them in an
> interactive resolution process?
>
> http://www.utstar.com/pcd/DataDevices.aspx?sLoc=0

JW

Re: PC "Air Card" with VISTA
Are the drivers you are trying to install from CD XP drivers or Vista
drivers?

> Alltel tech support says they are not licensed to trouble shoot Vista.
> Toshiba wont troubleshoot any third party software. I get no error message
> at
> all, it just doesn't recognize that the PC card is plugged in. It has no
> problem on a XP system. On my new laptop, I loaded the CD and installed as
> said, when it ask to insert the card, I do and it just sits there doing
> nothing. I have left it in over a hour at one point.
>
> "PvdG42" wrote:
>

>> "Randy_Butler" <Randy_Butler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsD1CC4C3-1D33-4513-AD25-67795AD449DE@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello. I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A205 laptop. I also
>> > purchased
>> > UT Starcom PC5750 air card from Alltel. The card will work on my XP
>> > system
>> > but it wont work on my new laptop running VISTA. I am getting the run
>> > around
>> > from Alltel, Toshiba and Microsoft. Alltell says its compatible on
>> > their
>> > websites and in the store. Can some one please help troubleshoot why
>> > its
>> > not
>> > working on my new laptop? I am so frustrated right now, I am
>> > considering
>> > taking it back and buying a APPLE at this point.

>> Unless Toshiba told you the Alltel "AirCard" would work with their
>> laptop,
>> as supplied with Vista, you're only getting the runaround from Alltel.
>> Microsoft is not really a player in your scenario.
>> I assume that Alltel certifies this product as compatible with Vista and
>> has
>> supplied Vista drivers? Does UT Starcom certify Vista compatibility as
>> well?
>> If you need assistance here, please post specifics, such as the
>> circumstances under which the "AirCard" fails and the full text of any
>> error
>> messages received. In addition, have you provided details to Alltel
>> technical support and UT Starcom technical support to engage them in an
>> interactive resolution process?
>>
>> http://www.utstar.com/pcd/DataDevices.aspx?sLoc=0

Randy_Butler

Re: PC "Air Card" with VISTA
Well, thanks guys, I just found out that I have to have a Franklin air card,
the one from Alltel is to big. it fits in the slot but doesnt line up with
the pins, Alltel tier 2 just informed me that all new laptops have the
express PC card slots now.