Where is fixmbr.exe or bootsec.exe?

ocicat

Where is fixmbr.exe or bootsec.exe?
I had successfully configured BCD to dual-boot Vista with OpenBSD, & it
worked great, but I made the mistake of installing Ubuntu which in turn
installed GRUB. At this point, I'd like to get rid of GRUB. Searching both
these communities & the Internet reveals either a bootsec.exe or fixmbr.exe
which might clean up my MBR of whatever GRUB wrote, but as I look on my Vista
partition, I don't find any utility by these names. What can I do/use to rip
GRUB out of my MBR?

Thanks.
Jane C

Re: Where is fixmbr.exe or bootsec.exe?
It's on the Vista DVD.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"ocicat" <ocicat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had successfully configured BCD to dual-boot Vista with OpenBSD, & it
> worked great, but I made the mistake of installing Ubuntu which in turn
> installed GRUB. At this point, I'd like to get rid of GRUB. Searching
> both
> these communities & the Internet reveals either a bootsec.exe or
> fixmbr.exe
> which might clean up my MBR of whatever GRUB wrote, but as I look on my
> Vista
> partition, I don't find any utility by these names. What can I do/use to
> rip
> GRUB out of my MBR?
>
> Thanks.

Don

ocicat wrote:
> I had successfully configured BCD to dual-boot Vista with OpenBSD, & it
> worked great, but I made the mistake of installing Ubuntu which in turn
> installed GRUB. At this point, I'd like to get rid of GRUB. Searching both
> these communities & the Internet reveals either a bootsec.exe or fixmbr.exe
> which might clean up my MBR of whatever GRUB wrote, but as I look on my Vista
> partition, I don't find any utility by these names. What can I do/use to rip
> GRUB out of my MBR?

Before you follow Jane's advice, you need to decide if you plan to
continue multi-booting between Windows and non-Windows OS's.

If you plan to keep any non-Windows OS on your machine you should
*keep* GRUB because it will let you do that easily, whereas it's
more complicated to use the Vista MBR.

I use GRUB to multi-boot between Vista, XP, OpenBSD, linux, etc with
no problems at all.

ocicat

"Don" wrote:
> If you plan to keep any non-Windows OS on your machine you should
> *keep* GRUB because it will let you do that easily, whereas it's
> more complicated to use the Vista MBR.

For anyone else reading this thread, it's not difficult to use BCD to
multiboot non-Windows OS's through Vista. Here's a how-to that I wrote up
for the OpenBSD community:

http://www.freebsdforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=48405

To boot Linux using BCD requires copying the appropriate partition boot
record (PBR) as described in the link above.