Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista

Garrot

Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista
Microsoft is run by numbnuts. I use a PS2 KVM made by Linksys and I
have both a Micorosft Explorer 3.0 and Logitech MX518 and they both
come with USB to PS2 adfapters so I connect them to the KVM using the
adapters. I have never had any mouse issue at all doing it this way on
Win98SE, WinME, Win2K, XP, and Linux. But on Vista I get intermittent
loss of mouse when booting up. Doesn't matter if I use the OS drivers
or the drivers that came with the mouse. More often than not the mouse
is just frozen on the screen. It's not a driver issue it is purely an
issue with Vista and the KVM. I need the KVM and don't plan to buy
another just for Vista. Hopefully Microsoft will wake up and smell the
coffee and fix it soon.
DevilsPGD

Re: Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista
In message <bqf1731q2m4rqvu9hog9iidqf01hv3i5ir@4ax.com> Garrot
<no@email.invalid> wrote:

>Microsoft is run by numbnuts. I use a PS2 KVM made by Linksys and I
>have both a Micorosft Explorer 3.0 and Logitech MX518 and they both
>come with USB to PS2 adfapters so I connect them to the KVM using the
>adapters. I have never had any mouse issue at all doing it this way on
>Win98SE, WinME, Win2K, XP, and Linux. But on Vista I get intermittent
>loss of mouse when booting up. Doesn't matter if I use the OS drivers
>or the drivers that came with the mouse. More often than not the mouse
>is just frozen on the screen. It's not a driver issue it is purely an
>issue with Vista and the KVM. I need the KVM and don't plan to buy
>another just for Vista. Hopefully Microsoft will wake up and smell the
>coffee and fix it soon.

This is fairly typical with a cheap KVM. Get a better one.

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Garrot

Re: Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:39:36 -0600, DevilsPGD
<spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>This is fairly typical with a cheap KVM. Get a better one.

It's a Linksys and not a cheap KVM. You aren't paying attention, are
you? I said the issue only arises with Vista! XP is on the same PC
with dual boot and the other PC has Win2K. Pay attention now. The
mouse works fine in both XP and Win2K, it only has an issue with
Vista. Now try and use some logic as to what the issue actually is.
Ding! Ding! Ding! The issue is Vista itself!
Neil Harley

Garrot wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:39:36 -0600, DevilsPGD
> <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote:
>

>> This is fairly typical with a cheap KVM. Get a better one.

> It's a Linksys and not a cheap KVM. You aren't paying attention, are
> you? I said the issue only arises with Vista! XP is on the same PC
> with dual boot and the other PC has Win2K. Pay attention now. The
> mouse works fine in both XP and Win2K, it only has an issue with
> Vista. Now try and use some logic as to what the issue actually is.
> Ding! Ding! Ding! The issue is Vista itself!

The only time I lose the mouse on any of the 4 boxes I have is when I
flick the KVM onto another PC when the one which loses the mouse is
booting. This happens with XP, Vista and Server 2003 so imo I don't
think it is Vista.
Garrot

Re: Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:31:42 +0100, Neil Harley <nomail@home.com>
wrote:

>The only time I lose the mouse on any of the 4 boxes I have is when I
>flick the KVM onto another PC when the one which loses the mouse is
>booting. This happens with XP, Vista and Server 2003 so imo I don't
>think it is Vista.

Well, your opinion is wrong. I don't even have to have the second PC
on for this to happen so I am not switching betwen PC's with the KVM
even. I can boot into XP and the mouse will be fine, boot into Vista
on the same PC and the mouse is frozen. Do some research on Vista and
mouse freezing and you will see it is quite a common issue with Vista.
Email and ask Logitech if you don't believe me.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista
My MS Explorer 2.0 mouse never freezes.. maybe it's a problem with the
Logitech software..

"Garrot" <no@email.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:31:42 +0100, Neil Harley <nomail@home.com>
> wrote:
>

>>The only time I lose the mouse on any of the 4 boxes I have is when I
>>flick the KVM onto another PC when the one which loses the mouse is
>>booting. This happens with XP, Vista and Server 2003 so imo I don't
>>think it is Vista.

> Well, your opinion is wrong. I don't even have to have the second PC
> on for this to happen so I am not switching betwen PC's with the KVM
> even. I can boot into XP and the mouse will be fine, boot into Vista
> on the same PC and the mouse is frozen. Do some research on Vista and
> mouse freezing and you will see it is quite a common issue with Vista.
> Email and ask Logitech if you don't believe me.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Guy Thomas

Re: Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista
This is probably a red herring, but my mate had a similar problem and it
turned out he had two wireless connections instead of one. Sorted by
deleting one in the Network and Sharing Center. This is what he told me:

This morning I plugged in my Ethernet? cable into the PC and disconnected
the wireless. I went to control panel - network and sharing centre to find
the 2 connections. [1] the wireless router and [2] the local area connection
from Virgin media. I switched off the wireless. Since then I have not frozen
at all.

My hidden agenda here is we never thought we would solve this problem but
thanks to this and other forums we did. Sometimes one idea begets a better
idea.

Guy

In message <691273hjvq8ea4n9n82bmf3eht3q0psvlp@4ax.com> Garrot
<no@email.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:39:36 -0600, DevilsPGD
><spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote:
>

>>This is fairly typical with a cheap KVM. Get a better one.

>It's a Linksys and not a cheap KVM. You aren't paying attention, are
>you? I said the issue only arises with Vista! XP is on the same PC
>with dual boot and the other PC has Win2K. Pay attention now. The
>mouse works fine in both XP and Win2K, it only has an issue with
>Vista. Now try and use some logic as to what the issue actually is.
>Ding! Ding! Ding! The issue is Vista itself!

Linksys makes pretty cheap gear, actually. If you bought a higher end
Linksys device then that might not apply, but their lower end gear tends
to be cheapo commodity hardware.

I have three KVMs here, two of the cheapo ones exhibit the behaviour
described on all machines unless the KVM is pointed to the machine in
question during the bootup. This occurs under Vista, XP, 2003, and my
FreeBSD and Linux boxes, although for a variation of keyboard and mouse
(Vista is just mouse, Linux is both, the rest are just keyboard),
although it's highly hardware dependant -- I can reproduce it reliably
on my Dell Optiplex GX150s reliably, but cannot reproduce it at all on
my virtually new Intel Core 2 Duo system (ASUS motherboard).

The higher end KVM doesn't have this problem -- However, it emulates a
mouse, rather then just passing your existing mouse through. This means
that some special mouse features don't work (at least if they rely on
the drivers being able to confirm the mouse's device ID on bootup), but
you don't have to worry about the mouse being connected during bootup.
It also cost around double, and requires it's own power supply.

It's not a matter of "getting mouse support right", but rather, the fact
that some KVMs were built under the assumption that operating systems
would always load up PS/2 keyboard and mouse drivers. With the
evolution of those devices, that's a rather stupid thing for an OS to do
in today's world, and people have long been complaining that Windows
loads up device drivers for devices which don't exist, or were removed.
Vista has taken this to the next logical step and stopped loading PS/2
drivers

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Garrot

Re: Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:25:58 -0400, "Mike Hall - MVP"
<mikehall@mvps.org> wrote:

>My MS Explorer 2.0 mouse never freezes.. maybe it's a problem with the
>Logitech software..

It doesn't matter if I am using the Logitech drivers or not, it
doesn't matter if it is Microsoft mouse or Logitech mouse. Vista is
not detecting the mouse correctly.
Garrot

Re: Microsoft can't even get mouse support right in Vista
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:11:28 +0100, "Guy Thomas"
<guy@computerperformance.co.uk> wrote:

>This is probably a red herring, but my mate had a similar problem and it
>turned out he had two wireless connections instead of one. Sorted by
>deleting one in the Network and Sharing Center. This is what he told me:
>
>This morning I plugged in my Ethernet? cable into the PC and disconnected
>the wireless. I went to control panel - network and sharing centre to find
>the 2 connections. [1] the wireless router and [2] the local area connection
>from Virgin media. I switched off the wireless. Since then I have not frozen
>at all.
>

>My hidden agenda here is we never thought we would solve this problem but
>thanks to this and other forums we did. Sometimes one idea begets a better
>idea.
>

>Guy

My mouse is wired and not wireless.