How to transfer hard drive to another computer

pwc

How to transfer hard drive to another computer
I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard drive to
another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do besides
replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after putting in the new
drive. The two computers are not identical.
housetrained

Re: How to transfer hard drive to another computer
"pwc" <pwc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard drive
> another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do besides
> replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after putting in the
> new
> drive. The two computers are not identical.

Let's just recap. Are you saying you have Vista on a HDD in a perfectly good
and working computer AND you want to take out the HDD and put it in a
computer that has a u/so HDD?

--
John the West Ham fan
housetrained@hotmail.com

pwc

Re: How to transfer hard drive to another computer
The computer with Vista the motherboard went bad. So I would like to put the
HDD in another computer that the HDD went bad on.

"housetrained" wrote:

> "pwc" <pwc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard drive
> > another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do besides
> > replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after putting in the
> > new
> > drive. The two computers are not identical.

> Let's just recap. Are you saying you have Vista on a HDD in a perfectly good
> and working computer AND you want to take out the HDD and put it in a
> computer that has a u/so HDD?
>
> --
> John the West Ham fan
> housetrained@hotmail.com
> <><

housetrained

Re: How to transfer hard drive to another computer
You will have to reinstall vista on the HDD in the new computer. If you have
a backup of your files & settings this will be easy.

--
John the West Ham fan
housetrained@hotmail.com
> The computer with Vista the motherboard went bad. So I would like to put
> the
> HDD in another computer that the HDD went bad on.
>
> "housetrained" wrote:
>
>> "pwc" <pwc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard
>> >drive
>> > another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do
>> > besides
>> > replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after putting in
>> > the
>> > new
>> > drive. The two computers are not identical.

>> Let's just recap. Are you saying you have Vista on a HDD in a perfectly
>> good
>> and working computer AND you want to take out the HDD and put it in a
>> computer that has a u/so HDD?
>>
>> --
>> John the West Ham fan
>> housetrained@hotmail.com
>> <><

Rock

Re: How to transfer hard drive to another computer
"pwc" wrote
> The computer with Vista the motherboard went bad. So I would like to put
> the
> HDD in another computer that the HDD went bad on.

> "housetrained" wrote:
>
>> "pwc" <pwc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> >I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard
>> >drive
>> > another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do
>> > besides
>> > replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after putting in
>> > the
>> > new
>> > drive. The two computers are not identical.

>> Let's just recap. Are you saying you have Vista on a HDD in a perfectly
>> good
>> and working computer AND you want to take out the HDD and put it in a
>> computer that has a u/so HDD?

If it's an OEM version it can't be moved to a different computer per the
license. The license dies when the computer dies. If it's OEM install the
drive as the only drive in another computer, boot from the Vista
installation DVD and run the startup repair. You may have to run it several
times.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Charlie Tame

pwc wrote:
> I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard drive to
> another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do besides
> replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after putting in the new
> drive. The two computers are not identical.

You can't do this practically. Windows will complain about activation
but far worse is the fact that you will have mostly the wrong drivers
installed for the rest of the hardware.
Captain Roberts

Re: How to transfer hard drive to another computer

"pwc" <pwc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard drive
> another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do besides
> replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after putting in the
> new
> drive. The two computers are not identical.

Have you tried booting from the Vista DVD and select Repair?

Rock

Re: How to transfer hard drive to another computer
"Charlie Tame" wrote
> pwc wrote:
>> I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard drive
>> to another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do
>> besides replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after
>> putting in the new drive. The two computers are not identical.

> You can't do this practically. Windows will complain about activation but
> far worse is the fact that you will have mostly the wrong drivers
> installed for the rest of the hardware.

Charlie, this can be done. I have seen several posts in here where the OP
did this because they swapped out a motherboard and/or other hardware.
Running Startup Repair from the Vista DVD seems to have handled the issue
well, sometimes requiring it to be run several times in succession, per
these posters. Of course it will require activation, usually by telephone.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

cthiggin

Re: How to transfer hard drive to another computer
Hello "Rock' and all -
This is the best news I've heard so far -
I have an HP that I did an upgrade install from XP Media center to a
purchased version of Vista Home P - upgrade - The install went flawlessly -
I now have purchased an Intel Quad Core and 680i MB / 4 gig mem - JUST TO
RUN FSX at a decent frame rate...............
I have read so many threads about re-install - clean install - can't be done
- don't do it - will never work - on and on and on -
I did a mb and chip replacement in XP - ran sysprep - ONLY hooked up the
hard drive and fired up - had to reactivate - then one by one added other
hardware and their drivers.................

So, "Rock" - IF I am to understand what you're saying - 1. Have drivers
ready in a folder - Change MB / Chip / - Boot up - WITH Vista DVD and do a
"Startup Repair" - Then re-activate - of course, then make sure drivers are
up-dated.
PLEASE tell me this is SO - Thanks to you and all in advance
cthiggin

"Rock" wrote:

> "Charlie Tame" wrote
> > pwc wrote:
> >> I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard drive
> >> to another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need to do
> >> besides replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error after
> >> putting in the new drive. The two computers are not identical.

> > You can't do this practically. Windows will complain about activation but
> > far worse is the fact that you will have mostly the wrong drivers
> > installed for the rest of the hardware.

> Charlie, this can be done. I have seen several posts in here where the OP
> did this because they swapped out a motherboard and/or other hardware.
> Running Startup Repair from the Vista DVD seems to have handled the issue
> well, sometimes requiring it to be run several times in succession, per
> these posters. Of course it will require activation, usually by telephone.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Charlie Tame

Rock wrote:
> "Charlie Tame" wrote
>> pwc wrote:
>>> I have a hard drive with Vista on it and want to transfer this hard
>>> drive to another computer that has a bad hard drive. What do I need
>>> to do besides replacing the old drive with the new? I get an error
>>> after putting in the new drive. The two computers are not identical.

>> You can't do this practically. Windows will complain about activation
>> but far worse is the fact that you will have mostly the wrong drivers
>> installed for the rest of the hardware.

> Charlie, this can be done. I have seen several posts in here where the
> OP did this because they swapped out a motherboard and/or other
> hardware. Running Startup Repair from the Vista DVD seems to have
> handled the issue well, sometimes requiring it to be run several times
> in succession, per these posters. Of course it will require activation,
> usually by telephone.

That's why I added "Practically". After running "Repair" several times
how do you know what you are left with?

My experience is that after installing the drive the activation issue
arises. After re activating the drivers problem arises, often bringing
with it hardware compatibility problems that take longer to resolve (if
at all) than a clean install. Since the OP must have a CD to do the
repair process I would think it easier to try a clean install first, if
only to see what failed.