Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps

Eddie G

Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
I did a search on this issue and found a mention of it on the Windows
Support site which mentions a hot fix, which I did by calling MS and
haveing them email me a file to install on my system. I also did the
registry tweak also mentioned on the MS support site. Neither of
these "fixes" work. After a reboot my optical drives are recognized
by the OS and work fine...it's just after the system sleeps that the
are not in "my computer" or my "device manager".

Please help if you can!!

Thanks!

Eddie G

freddy

RE: Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
Eddie,

I wonder whether this KB article could apply to your situation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734/en-us

I don't know whether it applies or not, but it could at least be a clue as
to the problem, hopefully.
--
freddy

"Eddie G" wrote:

> I did a search on this issue and found a mention of it on the Windows
> Support site which mentions a hot fix, which I did by calling MS and
> haveing them email me a file to install on my system. I also did the
> registry tweak also mentioned on the MS support site. Neither of
> these "fixes" work. After a reboot my optical drives are recognized
> by the OS and work fine...it's just after the system sleeps that the
> are not in "my computer" or my "device manager".
>
> Please help if you can!!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eddie G

Eddie G

On Jun 13, 8:38 am, freddy <fkirsc...@tidalwave.net> wrote:
> Eddie,
>
> I wonder whether this KB article could apply to your situation:

> I don't know whether it applies or not, but it could at least be a clue as
> to the problem, hopefully.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Eddie G" wrote:
> > I did a search on this issue and found a mention of it on the Windows
> > Support site which mentions a hot fix, which I did by calling MS and
> > haveing them email me a file to install on my system. I also did the
> > registry tweak also mentioned on the MS support site. Neither of
> > these "fixes" work. After a reboot my optical drives are recognized
> > by the OS and work fine...it's just after the system sleeps that the
> > are not in "my computer" or my "device manager".

> > Please help if you can!!

> > Thanks!

This KB is how I knew of the hotfix and the registry tweak. This did
not help.

freddy

Re: Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
Eddie,

Ah, so we are talking about the same KB article. This is referred to as a
failure in communication.

Anyway, I've only one other thing for you to try: I don't know whether
you've seen and tried this step, but some folks have had good fortune in
resolving problems similar to that which you have by deleting the INFCACHE.1
file. It's located at C:\Windows\inf (scroll down to the file). It's OK to
delete the file even when it has nothing to do with the problem. This
procedure doesn't work for everybody, but you won't know until you try it.
--
freddy

"Eddie G" wrote:

> On Jun 13, 8:38 am, freddy <fkirsc...@tidalwave.net> wrote:
> > Eddie,
> >
> > I wonder whether this KB article could apply to your situation:

> > I don't know whether it applies or not, but it could at least be a clue as
> > to the problem, hopefully.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "Eddie G" wrote:
> > > I did a search on this issue and found a mention of it on the Windows
> > > Support site which mentions a hot fix, which I did by calling MS and
> > > haveing them email me a file to install on my system. I also did the
> > > registry tweak also mentioned on the MS support site. Neither of
> > > these "fixes" work. After a reboot my optical drives are recognized
> > > by the OS and work fine...it's just after the system sleeps that the
> > > are not in "my computer" or my "device manager".

> > > Please help if you can!!

> > > Thanks!

> This KB is how I knew of the hotfix and the registry tweak. This did
> not help.

Eddie G

Re: Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
Freddy,

I did as you suggested and this morning my system shows the optical drives
after it was sleeping. I hope this is a permanent fix and I just didn't get
lucky.

Thanks!!

Eddie

"freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Eddie,
>
> Ah, so we are talking about the same KB article. This is referred to as a
> failure in communication.
>
> Anyway, I've only one other thing for you to try: I don't know whether
> you've seen and tried this step, but some folks have had good fortune in
> resolving problems similar to that which you have by deleting the
> INFCACHE.1
> file. It's located at C:\Windows\inf (scroll down to the file). It's OK
> delete the file even when it has nothing to do with the problem. This
> procedure doesn't work for everybody, but you won't know until you try it.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Eddie G" wrote:
>
>> On Jun 13, 8:38 am, freddy <fkirsc...@tidalwave.net> wrote:
>> > Eddie,
>> >
>> > I wonder whether this KB article could apply to your situation:
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734/en-us
>> >
>> > I don't know whether it applies or not, but it could at least be a clue
>> > as
>> > to the problem, hopefully.
>> > --
>> > freddy

>> This KB is how I knew of the hotfix and the registry tweak. This did
>> not help.

freddy

Re: Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
Eddie,

Great! I hope it stays fixed, too. Deleting that cache file has done
wonders for quite a few folks.
--
freddy

"Eddie G" wrote:

> Freddy,
>
> I did as you suggested and this morning my system shows the optical drives
> after it was sleeping. I hope this is a permanent fix and I just didn't get
> lucky.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Eddie
>
> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> > Eddie,
> >
> > Ah, so we are talking about the same KB article. This is referred to as a
> > failure in communication.
> >
> > Anyway, I've only one other thing for you to try: I don't know whether
> > you've seen and tried this step, but some folks have had good fortune in
> > resolving problems similar to that which you have by deleting the
> > INFCACHE.1
> > file. It's located at C:\Windows\inf (scroll down to the file). It's OK
> > delete the file even when it has nothing to do with the problem. This
> > procedure doesn't work for everybody, but you won't know until you try it.
> > --
> > freddy

> >> This KB is how I knew of the hotfix and the registry tweak. This did
> >> not help.

Eddie G

Re: Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
It didn't stay fixed. My system went to sleep after I posted, and now my
optical drives are gone.

<sigh>

> Eddie,
>
> Great! I hope it stays fixed, too. Deleting that cache file has done
> wonders for quite a few folks.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Eddie G" wrote:
>
>> Freddy,
>>
>> I did as you suggested and this morning my system shows the optical
>> drives
>> after it was sleeping. I hope this is a permanent fix and I just didn't
>> get
>> lucky.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Eddie
>>
>> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
>> > Eddie,
>> >
>> > Ah, so we are talking about the same KB article. This is referred to
>> > as a
>> > failure in communication.
>> >
>> > Anyway, I've only one other thing for you to try: I don't know whether
>> > you've seen and tried this step, but some folks have had good fortune
>> > in
>> > resolving problems similar to that which you have by deleting the
>> > INFCACHE.1
>> > file. It's located at C:\Windows\inf (scroll down to the file). It's
>> > OK
>> > delete the file even when it has nothing to do with the problem. This
>> > procedure doesn't work for everybody, but you won't know until you try
>> > it.
>> > --
>> > freddy

freddy

Re: Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
Eddie,

That's a bummer. I'm out of ideas. Your guess is as good as mine. More
research on the Internet? I wonder why the previous trick worked for a
while? What's the message here? I give up.
--
freddy

"Eddie G" wrote:

> It didn't stay fixed. My system went to sleep after I posted, and now my
> optical drives are gone.
>
> <sigh>
>
> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
> > Eddie,
> >
> > Great! I hope it stays fixed, too. Deleting that cache file has done
> > wonders for quite a few folks.
> > --
> > freddy
> >

> > "Eddie G" wrote:
> >
> >> Freddy,
> >>
> >> I did as you suggested and this morning my system shows the optical
> >> drives
> >> after it was sleeping. I hope this is a permanent fix and I just didn't
> >> get
> >> lucky.
> >>
> >> Thanks!!
> >>
> >> Eddie

Bob

Re: Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
Hello,

I am having a similar problem, but it is recent. I have had Vista Home
Premium installed for a couple of months. Just in the past week I have had
a problem where occasionally after I shut down and start my computer my
CD-ROM is not identified. I have tried resetting the BIOS. What does work
is going back to a restore point, but this is more of a pain than it is
worth.

I tried to delete the file mentioned above, but I am having a problem with
the permissions. I am wondering if one of the recent updates had anything
to do with it?

Any additional thoughts would be great!

> Eddie,
>
> That's a bummer. I'm out of ideas. Your guess is as good as mine. More
> research on the Internet? I wonder why the previous trick worked for a
> while? What's the message here? I give up.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Eddie G" wrote:
>
>> It didn't stay fixed. My system went to sleep after I posted, and now my
>> optical drives are gone.
>>
>> <sigh>
>>
>> "freddy" <fkirschen@tidalwave.net> wrote in message
>> > Eddie,
>> >
>> > Great! I hope it stays fixed, too. Deleting that cache file has done
>> > wonders for quite a few folks.
>> > --
>> > freddy

Eddie G

Re: Optical drives dissapear after system sleeps
To delete the file you need to right click on it and select
Properties/security and find your user name and allow it to access the file.