Sony Compatibility with Ultimate

Jerilyn

Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are not
compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just installed
Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
have any thoughts on this?
Barb Bowman

Re: Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
How old is your Sony/what model and in particular what graphics card
does it have?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Jerilyn

Re: Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
I have a Sony Vaio PCV-1132. I bought it about 2 years ago with Windows XP
already loaded. It has two hard drives. I installed Vista on the 2nd hard
drive so I could boot with either Windows XP or Vista. It works great so far
but I was surprised by Sony's comment. The graphics card is an NVIDIA
GeForce FX5200. That may be what I need to upgrade but someone elsewhere in
this forum mentioned that you can get Aero to work with 512mb of RAM.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> How old is your Sony/what model and in particular what graphics card
> does it have?
>
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:44:02 -0700, Jerilyn
> <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
> >desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are not
> >compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
> >largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just installed
> >Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
> >have any thoughts on this?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Cal Bear '66

Re: Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
Aero requirements:

Check that your computer meets the minimum hardware requirements for running
Aero:

1-gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) of random access memory (RAM)

128-megabyte (MB) graphics card

Aero also requires a DirectX 9 class graphics processor that supports a Windows
Display Driver Model Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware, and 32 bits per
pixel.

For best results, you might also want to follow these graphics processor
recommendations:

64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution that is
less than 1,310,720 pixels (for example, a 17-inch flat panel LCD monitor that
has a 1280 × 1024 resolution)

128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution from
1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels (for example, a 21.1-inch flat panel LCD monitor
that has up to a 1600 × 1200 resolution)

256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution greater
than 2,304,000 pixels (for example, a 30-inch wide-screen flat panel LCD monitor
that has up to a 2560 × 1600 resolution)

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Jerilyn" <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony Vaio PCV-1132. I bought it about 2 years ago with Windows XP
> already loaded. It has two hard drives. I installed Vista on the 2nd hard
> drive so I could boot with either Windows XP or Vista. It works great so far
> but I was surprised by Sony's comment. The graphics card is an NVIDIA
> GeForce FX5200. That may be what I need to upgrade but someone elsewhere in
> this forum mentioned that you can get Aero to work with 512mb of RAM.
>
> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> How old is your Sony/what model and in particular what graphics card
>> does it have?
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:44:02 -0700, Jerilyn
>> <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
>> >desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are not
>> >compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
>> >largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just installed
>> >Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
>> >have any thoughts on this?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman

Re: Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
the 5200 should be ok, but you need a gig of memory on the computer.
if you upgrade the 512 to 1gb, it will most likely work.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:50:01 -0700, Jerilyn
<Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Sony Vaio PCV-1132. I bought it about 2 years ago with Windows XP
>already loaded. It has two hard drives. I installed Vista on the 2nd hard
>drive so I could boot with either Windows XP or Vista. It works great so far
>but I was surprised by Sony's comment. The graphics card is an NVIDIA
>GeForce FX5200. That may be what I need to upgrade but someone elsewhere in
>this forum mentioned that you can get Aero to work with 512mb of RAM.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> How old is your Sony/what model and in particular what graphics card
>> does it have?
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:44:02 -0700, Jerilyn
>> <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
>> >desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are not
>> >compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
>> >largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just installed
>> >Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
>> >have any thoughts on this?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
JW

Re: Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
You also have to have 128MB of memory onboard your 5200 card in order for
Aero to work.

"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> the 5200 should be ok, but you need a gig of memory on the computer.
> if you upgrade the 512 to 1gb, it will most likely work.
>
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:50:01 -0700, Jerilyn
> <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a Sony Vaio PCV-1132. I bought it about 2 years ago with Windows
>>XP
>>already loaded. It has two hard drives. I installed Vista on the 2nd
>>hard
>>drive so I could boot with either Windows XP or Vista. It works great so
>>far
>>but I was surprised by Sony's comment. The graphics card is an NVIDIA
>>GeForce FX5200. That may be what I need to upgrade but someone elsewhere
>>in
>>this forum mentioned that you can get Aero to work with 512mb of RAM.
>>
>>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>>
>>> How old is your Sony/what model and in particular what graphics card
>>> does it have?

>>> --
>>>
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> MS Windows-MVP
>>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
>>>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
searching on the Sony site for PCV 1132 produced 6 or so models.
Looking at the specs, the 5200 cards in them did have 128 megs.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...pl?mdl=pcv1132

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:16:26 -0700, "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote:

>You also have to have 128MB of memory onboard your 5200 card in order for
>Aero to work.
>
>"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:3dl073lf5l9o91giljgk513rt2dck9aquk@4ax.com.. .
>> the 5200 should be ok, but you need a gig of memory on the computer.
>> if you upgrade the 512 to 1gb, it will most likely work.
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:50:01 -0700, Jerilyn
>> <Jerilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Sony Vaio PCV-1132. I bought it about 2 years ago with Windows
>>>XP
>>>already loaded. It has two hard drives. I installed Vista on the 2nd
>>>hard
>>>drive so I could boot with either Windows XP or Vista. It works great so
>>>far
>>>but I was surprised by Sony's comment. The graphics card is an NVIDIA
>>>GeForce FX5200. That may be what I need to upgrade but someone elsewhere
>>>in
>>>this forum mentioned that you can get Aero to work with 512mb of RAM.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
Jerilyn

RE: Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
Thanks for all of the help guys! BTW, my computer does have 1gb of memory.
I mentioned before that I saw somewhere in these forums that someone said
they got it to work with 512mb. If my graphics card supports Aero as Barb
Bowman mentioned, what else could be the problem? Thanks again!

"Jerilyn" wrote:

> I have been trying to get the Windows Aero feature to work with my Sony
> desktop. Contacted Sony Support and they told me ALL Sony computers are not
> compatible with Ultimate. I was shocked since Sony is one of the world's
> largest suppliers of computers. I have a Sony Vaio desktop. Just installed
> Ultimate. So far so good. I can live without Aero if I have to. Anyone
> have any thoughts on this?

Barb Bowman

Re: Sony Compatibility with Ultimate
what version Nvidia video driver are you using?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:06:03 -0700, Jerilyn

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist